V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Rear brakes now 100% completed and all brakes bled, i have a superb pedal with hardly any travel thanks to the 1" master cylinder.

Just a battery box to build, plonk a seat in and i can drive this around for the first time \:D/
aw11rally

Nearly there!

Post by aw11rally »

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT A VIDEO OF YOU DOING BURNOUTS INFRONT OF THE WORKSHOP!

But keep up the good work :clap:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Well then paul less typie, typie and more buildie, buildie i can wait to see this thing in action :thumleft:
surferdude

Post by surferdude »

Looking forward to this!! \:D/
ROB-E

Post by ROB-E »

:shock:
How in the name...
How could you image it?
Anyway RESPECT for the work!

Like to see it rolling :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well it was a huge day for me, 2 years into the build and a ton of time and money, Jay came over and helped me out for the day, cheers mate! and the Mk1 V8 officially moved under its own steam, just a few feet forward and back to check clutch operation....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl8D3wpdwpY

Apologies in advance if anyone is expecting a mad burnout video, that is not going to happen today, we just wanted to start off slowly and build up over the next few weeks to the mad doughnuts and burnouts. For now i needed to be 100% sure everything is working and start debugging any faults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRmTxEA6GU

The car drives effortlessly, no throttle needed at all to move it, just lift the clutch, there is so much torque , this thing is crazy.

More trundling about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDKk8qYvTao

Jay and i stopped filming to give the car a little squirt, we knew the bonnet catch was not on the car, we both knew we could only do 5mph, but in a moment of sheer madness i forgot all about it and i mashed the pedal and the bonnet flew up and cracked my windscreen :) , i'm not bothered because it was cracked anyway and i have a new one ready to fit and my bonnet was rusty so both were being replaced anyway, but it did scare the xxxx out of us! lol

So all in all a very successful days testing, i'm over the moon that i have achieved what some said was not possible, now the hard work begins sorting my bodywork out and finishing off the interior.

Another little setting off video, sorry these aren't very exciting but they are for me! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1jwHweR0CY
surferdude

Post by surferdude »

Haha, I can imagine you put your foot down to try. Respect for all of you who helped on this crazy project!! :clap: :clap:
ROB-E

Post by ROB-E »

Cool!!!

Its driveable!
Good work!
Respect!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Nice work Paul, a real achievement. :thumleft:

But....we want burn outs :whistle:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You will have to settle for one wheel burnouts i'm afraid Tim, this car desperately needs an LSD.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:You will have to settle for one wheel burnouts i'm afraid Tim, this car desperately needs an LSD.

Very impressive Paul, but no LSD? :shocked:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

One of the things i need to work on Lauren, the A4 TDi gearbox never came with LSD so it looks like i either need a Quaife unit or somehow adapt a Quattro LSD to work. The priority was to get a working conversion then refine it, so i'm on the lookout for a spare 6 speed TDi box to operate on, convert to LSD and swap over in one day.... but oh god is it needed, 3000rpm just lights one wheel up and i have 255/40/17's on the rear.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

On that note i've found the LSD i need... bang goes another grand on the project...

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/products/qdf6q-0
aw11rally

ATB 'a grand doesn't come for free'

Post by aw11rally »

It'll be a grand well spent. Even with plenty of yaw you can feel the diff doing it's thing and putting the power down. Highly recommended AND more than capable of taking the power if a twin turbo 4.2 v8 \:D/
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I agree mate, i'm also looking at cheaper ways too.... does anyone know if the Audi B6 2.5 Quattro front diff was LSD or open? I am thinking it might be cheaper to make one of Audis LSD units fit even if it meant a little machining.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I had a 2.5tdi quattro sport and I really don't think it had an LSD. I managed to wear a front tyre through (completely) trying to do donuts on a wet (deserted) car park. It just put all the power to the inside front wheel. Oh and broke the pas too, I probably wouldn't try it again.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That's a fantastic help thanks, it was probably only the rear diff that was LSD on some of those, looks like i am stuck with the Quaife diff.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Quick update now i have driven the car a bit, it has ridiculous amounts of torque, i can doughnut the car (even without LSD) by just feathering the throttle around 3000rpm. Straight lines at the moment are a joke, it torque steers so violently when i try to accelerate that i have to back off at anything over 4000rpm. When i finally get this traction issue sorted this thing is going to be insane at higher RPM's, it is already by far the fastest accelerating Mk1 i've ever built and very effortlessly heaves forward with bags of power in reserve, to be honest i'm a little scared to try and open the taps more than i am right now. The gearing feels perfect, much better than the E153 on a V6, first has lots of legs but i still need to shift up quickly at the moment to try and stop the wheels spinning, but they still do, in just about every gear i've found.

I am going to try and get a video tomorrow of it in action, the best i can describe it at the moment is it drives like a crab walks, sideways but going forward. I'm just putting too much power through one wheel at a time and boy you really notice it.

The Quaife LSD and Racelogic TC unit should transform it.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Sounds a bit of a handful :thumleft: :twisted:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:.
The Quaife LSD and Racelogic TC unit should transform it.

LSD yes. TC......don't be a girl, just take that lead boot off.

Sounds awesome. Any ideas when it will see a track. I am sure there are a lot of folks who will want to come and watch. I feel the need for an official IMOC day out.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”