Floor Pan Advice

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

laam999

Floor Pan Advice

Post by laam999 »

Sorry to always be asking for help but I'm still a newb to this and you guys help so much

Ok, I have had my AW11 for about 5 months now and all there is left to do is the welding, but there is a LOT of welding to do. Here are what my current floor pans look like. Could you guys please advise me on how I should go about repairing these I was thinking just make a patchwork of welds by cutting out the rust and then welding 1mm sheet steel into tplace and basically hammering it to fit and then sealing it all and protecting. any advice wuold be GREAT

Liam

Drivers side is much of the same
cogboy

Re: Floor Pan Advice

Post by cogboy »

My pal aw11rally has a dead MR2 sat in his front garden which was front end damaged in the past and poorly repaired. There is talk of breaking it for spares for our road cars and rally car. The remains of the shell are probably going to get weighed in, possibly minus the roof and the rear end.
If, and I say if, the floor pans are solid I doubt aw11 rally would object to you cutting them out for your project. I'll ask him.
- We're in the Liverpool/Manchester area, which isn't a million miles from yourself.
aw11rally

Its a free for all!

Post by aw11rally »

Sounds like a plan, I need to get a move on as I dont think the house will sell while there is a scruffy Mk1 on the lawn!
Paul in the Port

Post by Paul in the Port »

If you chop the floor out, can the offside rear corner be chopped out for me to do a repair?? ;-)

Cheeky i know but happy to make a donation to the drinking fund!! I'm Wirral / Cheshire border myself
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Of course.

Unfortunately Cogboy crashed a transit into the rear passenger side corner leaving it not quite mint.
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

aw11rally wrote:Unfortunately Cogboy crashed a transit into the rear passenger side corner leaving it not quite mint.

Meh. It was fooked anyway.
Paul in the Port

Post by Paul in the Port »

aw11rally wrote:Of course.

Unfortunately Cogboy crashed a transit into the rear passenger side corner leaving it not quite mint.

I'm sure it was deliberate!! :D:D:D

Offside = drivers side.............. the bit i need. Someone drove something into that corner sometime in the past - its hidden behind the bumper so only found out when i replaced the bumper bar and corner section that was damaged.
laam999

Post by laam999 »

let me know how much you'd want for the floor pans and what weekend would be best for me to collect (I work during the wek so it would be a bit of a pain to come then)

Thanks

Liam
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Nothing at all. I was just going to weigh the shell in for scrap.

I will have a look today and see how healthy they look.
laam999

Post by laam999 »

well I got to at least get you some beers, what's your usual?
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

Looks like the dead Mister2 is going to be attacked with a couple of 9 inch grinders sometime this weekend Liam.
Me or aw11rally will let you know when we've got the floorpans out. They'll need a bit of finesseing to remove the slight dents caused by someone jacking it up under the floorpans in the past.
aw11rally will drink almost anything. Me too (except Carling).
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

Paul in the Port wrote:If you chop the floor out, can the offside rear corner be chopped out for me to do a repair?? ;-)

Cheeky i know but happy to make a donation to the drinking fund!! I'm Wirral / Cheshire border myself

Erm. We started stripping the dead car this weekend gone and both lower quarters sounded a bit, ah, solid. Turns out they're both about an inch thick filler. No metal, at least not anything that's actually attached to anything that was once part of the car. The sills are rotten as pears too, which makes the fact that we were hooning around in this car like a pair of complete nutjobs, on little country roads past big solid looking trees, even more silly.
laam999

Post by laam999 »

Does this mean the floors are dead? Oh well, was worth a try, if not them PM your details and I'll try and pop along on Sat evening if that's ok with you :)

Thanks for all the help either way

Liam
aw11rally

floors

Post by aw11rally »

Well.....the edge against the sills might be a bit frilly but the rest looks ok, we will cut them out leaving as much spare as pos for you to play with.

I'll see what I can do thursday night and let you know.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Attacked the poor red2 with the grinders tonight. The floors look usable. Another hour or so and plenty more discs should have them out.
ROB-E

Post by ROB-E »

Thats a hell of a job :shock:
Your floor can be saved....
Butt it cost a lot of time.
Butt if you see the rust on the inside... the outside (bottom) should be worse...
Grind it out, reinforce the surrounding and put some alloy in in it.
Thats lighter :wink:
If you have a T-top, make sure that your bottom is flat.
Not only for the T-tops, no more dents in the roof :wink:
Its also better for the air resistance.
laam999

Post by laam999 »

Thanks a bunch AW11rally, I suppose I can donate some discs along with some beers :D seriously though, thanks tonnes!

Anychance I could come sat evening? Don't worry if I can't just let me know when is good for you :bow: thanks again ^_^
Liam

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”