Toyota Sprint Series

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nod

Re: Toyota Sprint Series

Post by Nod »

alan wheeldon wrote:Nod your building a 4wd MR2, that sounds immense!! 8) If I understood you correctly that will be allowed.

I assume a Twin Turbo V8 (1uz-fe) and A340e autobox are OK too then. :thumleft:
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Nod wrote:
alan wheeldon wrote:Nod your building a 4wd MR2, that sounds immense!! 8) If I understood you correctly that will be allowed.

I assume a Twin Turbo V8 (1uz-fe) and A340e autobox are OK too then. :thumleft:

I belive that will be fine and it would put you in A1 class with the big boys. You would have to speak to the organisers just to comfirm though :thumleft:
Gidz

Post by Gidz »

cartledge_uk wrote:Do you still have to buy that stupid mickey mouse "race licence" even if you have a MSA/FIA race license.

Personally I do MSA sprints, actually recognised by the MSA

I've held an MSA Nat B license for the past 5 years & use it to do MSA sprints which are comparably more expensive than TSS events.

After asking the TSS if I could use my MSA license, I found the events aren’t run under the MSA, so their license wasn't applicable. So I happily bought a £15 IOPD license, as this is the competition license that needs to be held do TSS events.

As someone who is involved in running events under MSA license, a huge reason behind the need for the events & the participants to be licensed by the MSA is to do with liability & insurance from the MSA's perspective. Which is pretty much the same thing as an IOPD licence.
It is possible to take further tests & upgrade your MSA licence so it’s possible to run National A spec sprint hillclimb cars , but unless you’re in a serious single seater all you need is a Nat-B licence.
The licensing application is the same for IOPD as it is for MSA Nat-B ; fill out a form - No medical, no test of ability.

If the IOPD licence was expensive I could understand your gripe, but it's not, it’s less than half the price of a Nat-B sprint licence.

As you know from competing at TSS in the past the value for money offered by the event as a whole far outweighs the cost of the annual licence, at the first event.

As an example TSS:
IOPD - £15
Entry - £100
2 practice + 8 timed runs = less than £15 a timed run (less than 12 over all runs)

Example MSA Sprint (Abingdon as it's the most runs in a day):
MSA Licence - £36
Entry - £140
4 practice + 4 timed runs = £44 a timed run (£22 a run over all runs)

Example MSA Sprint (North Weald Run at cost)
MSA Licence - £36
Entry - £55
2 practice + 2 timed runs = £45 a timed run (£22 a run over all runs)

Obviously you don’t pay for a new licence for each event, but it does offer a comparison as a one off event.

Anyone of sound body & mind can get a National B MSA licence & go sprinting, so why make it sound so much "more" than an IOPD licence?
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

steve wrote:
Ha ha I dont think you ever drove crap! when are you & Si coming over to have another crack! I am still driving like an old lady but can now manage to beat a few of them pesky GTfours
Steve

Hehe, I would love to come back and thanks for the compliment. :)
Car is currently in the garage having a roll cage and bucket seat installed by myself. Ive been working on it for what feels like months as work / home have taken priority. Im in no rush now as a friend has bought an mr2 and is currently sorting the brakes out.

Si on the other hand is spending too much time on his BMW and not enough on his MR2. I will say though.. he has changed it from automatic to manual all by himself and has done a lot of other things to it which I wouldnt know where to start. So all credit to him.
It still looks like a 4x4 bus to me though.. ;)

I keep reading, and occassionally posting, on the TSS forums as its pretty friendly there.

My own car wont be ready to go track / competing for about another month. I can pretty much guarantee that I will be back for at least 1 event in TSS either towards the end of this year or the begining of next. Only limitations are work at the moment which is taking up a lot of my time.

Hope you are doing well Steve and good to hear from you - perhaps we can arrange a track day if not a meet up at a TSS event once my own car is up n running. I'll pm / feel free to pm me on the TSS forums.
Dan_Q

Post by Dan_Q »

Mike,

we miss you mate! come back and we will welcome you open armed :) we have the sound of a camry V6 in the form of craig's ST182 celica, would be good to see the both of you go head to head mate :)

Hope you remember me by the way, Dan with the knackered white ST182 from 2008/9, now running a class F 1.0 Yaris :shock: but its great fun :thumleft: and its cheap which suits me right now :wink:

Would love to see you back matey, and Si if he ever leaves his BM alone.

Take care bud

Dan :)
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Hiya!

Yes I do remember you :)
By the time the car is ready it wont have the camry v6 in it, it'll be getting prepped and ready for a 2gr-fe to go inside. All in all, Im reckoning around Nov - Feb for everything to be all done, dusted n ready to go. :D

Once the car is ready, CHEAP motorsport would be awesome :D Very cheap would get me bonus points with the missus. ;)
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Tomiam wrote:
Once the car is ready, CHEAP motorsport would be awesome :D Very cheap would get me bonus points with the missus. ;)

Well £615 is all it costs for a full season so is probably as cheap as you can get into motorsport :thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

alan wheeldon wrote:
Tomiam wrote:

Well £615 is all it costs for a full season so is probably as cheap as you can get into motorsport :thumleft:

:shock:

Autosolo's are the cheapest way into motorsport for beginners ~£30 per event and run all over the country.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

cartledge_uk wrote:
alan wheeldon wrote:
Tomiam wrote:

:shock:

Autosolo's are the cheapest way into motorsport for beginners ~£30 per event and run all over the country.

Well why dont you just **** off and go and do one of them and leave my topic alone you great big donky! All you have done is reply with petty comments, if you dont have anything good to contribite then do not comment. I cant belive your a moderator with comments like that, your making a discrase of IMOC as you are supposed to be discouraging posts like the ones you have been making!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

alan wheeldon wrote:
Well why dont you just **** off and go and do one of them and leave my topic alone you great big donky! All you have done is reply with petty comments, if you dont have anything good to contribite then do not comment. I cant belive your a moderator with comments like that, your making a discrase of IMOC as you are supposed to be discouraging posts like the ones you have been making!

Why don't you just calm down?

Tim has hardly made an inflammatory comment by stating that autosolos are cheaper (which they are).

Anyone is allowed to reply to a topic.

Please keep comments decent.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
stevel

Post by stevel »

As discussed before via PM Lauren, this individual has at every opportunity put over a negative opinions regarding the TSS, even to the point he approached the committee to withdraw some of his comments that were at very least inappropriate especially as a position of a moderator.

I think alan wheeldon comments are out of frustrations with this chap

We are aware that he does not like the TSS & there is history but too criticise every post put on regarding this is petty.
I don’t like Mk1 but I don’t enforce my opinion on every post that involves one.
Actually that’s not true I love them but you get my drift. :shock:

TSS is cheap but auto solos are cheaper, so what! we are not talking about what’s the cheapest form of motorsport. This is a discussion about the TSS, a series competing against Toyota not other makes of cars.

This is my 3rd season doing sprinting & have seen the series grow from the beginning. It is extremely well run, the competition is serious but very friendly & I get to test my driving abilities against equally modified MR2’s. That’s what I enjoy doing.
Personally if I didn’t do TSS I would be doing the Mr2 championship not a MSA sprint that imho doesn’t have the same value for money TSS has but each to their own. :thumleft:

It would be good if the IMOC committee could get behind individuals who regularly attend motorsport in their MR2's like the GT4 owners club are behind their members in the series. We have a sprint write up in Mr2 only magazine for every edition that begs to have an mr2 club involved.

I guess Tim, it’s like any club you fit in & enjoy it or you don’t. It just happens you don’t so let’s leave at that, enjoy your sprinting & good luck.

If anybody wants to get more information about TSS come & see us at our next event or pop over to our stand @ JAE.

Oh yes I have heard some comments about stickers on the cars, I haven’t had any damage to my paintwork because of them but I have had the large door one put on a magnetic sheet so I don’t have to drive to work with a large number on the side of my car. So anybody who is fearful of their paint work this would be the way forward.

Steve

Slowcoach racing
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

Well said Steve :thumleft:

I personally will be competing in TSS in 2011, in fact i will also be hopefully competing in the MR2 Championship as well... the fact is i have found the TSS website and its members to be very welcoming and eager to help and offer advice.
The Series does seem to be engineering at the individual who is after good competative fun and not a full blown serious MSA event.

i for one look forward to meeting them and competing in 2011 :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stevel wrote:
It would be good if the IMOC committee could get behind individuals who regularly attend motorsport in their MR2's like the GT4 owners club are behind their members in the series. We have a sprint write up in Mr2 only magazine for every edition that begs to have an mr2 club involved.

Steve what would you like us to do to support you?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

MarkR32 wrote:... the fact is i have found the TSS website and its members to be very welcoming and eager to help and offer advice.
The Series does seem to be engineering at the individual who is after good competative fun and not a full blown serious MSA event.

Pretty much bang on what my experience was like :)
Very friendly, in fact I had a phone call today from one of the TSS folks who is helping me out with some brake related stuff, never spoken to them before but we chatted for ages. Nice bloke, knows his stuff and will be looking forward to meeting him tomorrow.
filthy

Post by filthy »

When is the TSS going to have an event in the South-West?
Venues like Colerne near Bath do both MSA sprints and track days.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

filthy wrote:When is the TSS going to have an event in the South-West?

Hopefully in next years season to hopefully attract more interest from Toyota owners :thumleft:
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Hi, this is my last year in the UK (leaving to Germany and then Japan in 2012).

Is it possible to participate in a few of the remaining events? (I only just got myself a semi-decent Toyota again - MR2 MK2 after my MK1 was hit and run into. Wish I could bring over my sleeper 4E-FTE powered Corolla from Malta tho...)

^^

In Malta I used to twice a week complete in quarter mile drag racing and once a month in hillcimb sprints.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

NDR008 wrote:Is it possible to participate in a few of the remaining events?

Of course you can, just sign up on the website and pay. One event will cost you £105 :thumleft:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I really hope you guys do run a few SW events - I would be there in a flash. Would love to participate but the distances involved to get to the venue put me off - mainly as my car is the worst for long distance journeys and I dont have a trailer or tow vehicle.
MR2Pagey

Post by MR2Pagey »

Get one organised for the Southwest, you will have 2 garunteed MR2's their.

Me and my friend compete in a Autosolo where I'm currently leading the championship and he won the last event.

I'd loe to do a TSS event, but the distances create a huge cost of which I can not afford.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”