[Mk2] [Turbo] Upgrading Suspension

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmusgrove

[Mk2] [Turbo] Upgrading Suspension

Post by davidmusgrove »

Hi - I've got a Rev3 GTS that is producing 300 BHP and don't want to take this any higher. The car is used on the road - and will not be tracked and is an every day driver. As its used on the road - and Lincoln shire is littered with speed bumps everywhere I don't really want to lower the car any more than I have to.

However - the suspension as far as I am aware is original and hence somewhat tired! Has anyone got some suggestions for an upgrade?. Springs and struts - just struts? Any ideas would be good and where they can be sourced from! Dont really fancy going the coilover route...Thanks!
:)
dazzz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Upgrading Suspension

Post by dazzz »

I've heard many times that the best setup for the road is a full set of rebuilt dampers, koni inserts iirc, and eibach pro springs.

I have this setup on my car and it feels tight but not hard. People remark on how well it rides.
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Upgrading Suspension

Post by HighwayStar »

Heya fella.
I'm afraid there's not much choice if you're sticking to the strut/spring combo. New or used Bilstein yellow billies (about 40% more damping than stock), used black billies (about 20% more damping than stock, fitted as standard to many of the later turbo cars.. is this what you currently have?), standard Toyota fixed units or used standard rev1/2 rebuildable struts with a choice of Koni or KYB (& possibly Spax) inserts.
As for spring if you don't want to go lower and want to save cash stick with stock, otherwise I've heard the Eibach are quite comfortable and you probably won't see a drop from your old saggy standards.
My question to you is... if the springs have you low enough and the struts aren't failing why change them. Would the money be better spent refreshing other things that are probably effecting the drive more. New lower ball joints and a full bush kit to replace the probably quite worn and perished originals maybe? If you want to spend and mod how about beefing up the ARBs at the same time as doing the bushes and going for something like the Whiteline adjustables.
Whatever you do think it through... get rides in similarly equipped cars at least. You don't want to be doing it all over as it's time consuming and costly and you'll need full alignment done afterwards each time.
Good luck with it.

R.

I'm on yellow billies and tein s tech springs and the ride is v v v firm. But then the drive is fantastic.

:D

Return to “Modifications”