My new video camera

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mulaz

My new video camera

Post by mulaz »

Wanted to video my car so got my self one of these new fangled mini video camera's
Same one as in the film "Back to the Future"
would you believe that they cost £1500 in 1985 todays value £3300.
What did a Mr2 cost back then and how much would it be today??

what do you think? :D

Jim-SR

Re: My new video camera

Post by Jim-SR »

youd be better off with a GoPro HD Motorsports HERO!!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

very retro!
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Our cars are 80's Retro so as i collect camera's i thought what better way to show the young ones what era our cars come from by showing them how technology has changed. one young lad was gob smacked with the size of the video.
and it was also only a £10!!! :thumleft:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

mulaz wrote:Wanted to video my car so got my self one of these new fangled mini video camera's
Same one as in the film "Back to the Future"
would you believe that they cost £1500 in 1985 todays value £3300.
What did a Mr2 cost back then and how much would it be today??

what do you think? :D

back in '87 when the 1B was launched a sunroof model was £11,550 relatively expensive compared to what you get today for £20K+
wel done on the video camera deffinately an '80s icon, I remember borowing its predecessor now that was a huge piece of kit easily 3X's the size of yours
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

youre not using it as an in-car camera then? thats what i figured it was for, and its just a touch large! isnt it weird though how old school electronics always look so much more advanced than new ones. all those extra controls on them (simply because automated ones didnt exist) make them look like modern professional kit. thats probably the equivalent of a modern day handycam right? that you could fit in your pocket.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Most people's modern pocket digital cameras will take a similar video quality to that VHS monster. Got to say that it still looks good tho :thumleft:
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

I also have it's newer baby brother version for more discrete filming.
How's about pulling this out of your pocket while at the Disco!!!!
Got this baby for £3 at a car boot
:thumleft:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

mulaz wrote:I also have it's newer baby brother version for more discrete filming.
How's about pulling this out of your pocket while at the Disco!!!!
Got this baby for £3 at a car boot
:thumleft:

they've got to be worth more than £10 & £3!!!
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Yes they are worth more maybe £80 for the 2 on a good day , but like our cars price it all depends on who's buying and how many people are after one at the time and a bucket full of Luck.
My car has no major rot ,the back arches have been done, stainless exhaust and bodywork totally straight and as paul wood said after a drive of my mr2 a good one.
i am the 13th owner!!! i think every previous owner has enjoyed and heaped love on this one!
It's one of the best cars i have ever owned and always starts on the button.
My missus said that i got myself a real bargin at £680 and i aint ever selling :thumleft:
ulysess1966

Iron Parrot

Post by ulysess1966 »

You need a De Lorean to go with the Marty McFly camera :D

(Except De Loreans are pants)

My dad owned one of the small(-er) red VHS-C ones back in the mid 80s and some of the original footage from it is now on YouTube. They were a good camera, the 'Video Dub' was good for making music videos!
kevin..in

Re: Iron Parrot

Post by kevin..in »

ulysess1966 wrote:You need a De Lorean to go with the Marty McFly camera :D

(Except De Loreans are pants)

one spotted while out in my MK1 a while ago
ulysess1966

De Lorean

Post by ulysess1966 »

Is there a reason it is passing you? :)

The special edition came with the De Lorean equivalent of nitrous, 2 kilos of cocaine.
kevin..in

Re: De Lorean

Post by kevin..in »

ulysess1966 wrote:Is there a reason it is passing you? :)

The special edition came with the De Lorean equivalent of nitrous, 2 kilos of cocaine.

I slowed to let him pass so that we could get some pics, as you don't see too many De Loreans out on the road
sad fact is that about 20 miles on my water pump seized so had to get recovered, chatting to the recovery driver about seeing a De lorean he said "Oh yeah I know that guy I recover him regularly!!"
while waiting for recovery to arrive 2 (yes 2!!) MK1s passed me and neither stopped :cry:
ulysess1966

DL

Post by ulysess1966 »

Kevin

Sorry to hear about that :( Strange that the other MK1 drivers didn't stop, bit anti-social that.

Not surprised to hear about the De Lorean's problems though. I live in Belfast and over the years have met a few people who were connected with the De Lorean enterprise and it was laugh-a-minute stuff. They took guys off the dole who had been bus drivers and brickies and a fortnight later they would be hand-building these sci-fi sports cars. The body panels rarely fitted and the Renault engines had loads of problems. It's on record that the US importers rebulit many of the cars as soon as they left the docks before selling them.

There was one in Northern Ireland that was pained red and was really unusual. I saw it a couple of times and heard it was a major job spraying the stainless steel, but it looked much better than the standard car. Not sure what ever happened to it.
kevin..in

Re: DL

Post by kevin..in »

ulysess1966 wrote:Kevin

Sorry to hear about that :( Strange that the other MK1 drivers didn't stop, bit anti-social that.

Not surprised to hear about the De Lorean's problems though. I live in Belfast and over the years have met a few people who were connected with the De Lorean enterprise and it was laugh-a-minute stuff. They took guys off the dole who had been bus drivers and brickies and a fortnight later they would be hand-building these sci-fi sports cars. The body panels rarely fitted and the Renault engines had loads of problems. It's on record that the US importers rebulit many of the cars as soon as they left the docks before selling them.

There was one in Northern Ireland that was pained red and was really unusual. I saw it a couple of times and heard it was a major job spraying the stainless steel, but it looked much better than the standard car. Not sure what ever happened to it.

didn't they just crush loads of them and dump them in a landfill site when it all went boobs up?
had a GF at that time who worked for Michelin here in stoke and used to have dealings with their plant over their in northern ireland tales of days and even weeks when no one would turn up for work and the plant just lay idle were common back then
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

ulysess1966 wrote:

the red one is for sale at the moment

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C57548/
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

010on1986 wrote:
ulysess1966 wrote:

the red one is for sale at the moment

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C57548/

someone has added one too mant 0s to the price #-o

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”