SIIIICK looking MR2!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Will_bmx

SIIIICK looking MR2!!

Post by Will_bmx »

Please excuse the slightly chav title but look at it! awesome!

http://garagedusty.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ttack-mr2/
C50

Re: SIIIICK looking MR2!!

Post by C50 »

reminds me of a hammerhead shark.

with smaller canards i would say it looks awesome
fearless

Post by fearless »

pedestrians mind your legs with that bumper you would take peoples legs out, other than the stupid splitter/bumper that looks cool if you ask me, but what was thay thinking with the front end hmmmmm. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i could only say those are there for some serious front end downforce, shame it looks pants at the front
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

:thumleft:

Looks good. Any exciting things under the lid?
MR2_CL

Post by MR2_CL »

if you look at the second pic on the link the canards dont actually come any further out then the front wheels. think the first pic just give it a funny angle and makes them look huuuuge haha.

looks pretty awesome none the less!
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

jasongtr wrote:i could only say those are there for some serious front end downforce

the actual downforce canards add is negligible, they reduce lift and some drag by reducing the amount of air that flows underneath the skirts and through the wheel arches.

just another one of those chav kits with no aerodynamic purpose.
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

dantheman wrote:
jasongtr wrote:i could only say those are there for some serious front end downforce

the actual downforce canards add is negligible, they reduce lift and some drag by reducing the amount of air that flows underneath the skirts and through the wheel arches.

just another one of those chav kits with no aerodynamic purpose.

That pi$$ed me off. Do you mean canards in general or that car? I'm fed up of sitting by and holding my tongue looking at so many mr2 members who mangled up all these mr2s with shitty big halfords lookin wheels and scoops and jacking them up, but an evil looking track prepared 2 you call chavvy? Seriously? I admit those end plated stick out a fair whack but apart from that its the best I've seen in a while! Most are abysmal UK xxxx with one of the "accepted" body kits for that "street" look. Sod that.
Hunders

Post by Hunders »

When you say sick looking, I guess you must mean you taste some in your mouth when you glance at it. Right?

Ugly MR2 is ugly... Give me a standard body'd rev3/4 any day.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

I've got another 20 or so pics of this car on my hard drive, it looks a bit different now!
hardeep1990

Post by hardeep1990 »

that mr2 is awesome.. :thumleft:
Blue_5

Post by Blue_5 »

Have to say, i love the rear arches!
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Guys, some of you really are missing the point. That car has more aero thought than most MR2's i've seen on this site.

Is it pretty, not exactly to my eye but I would be really interested in driving it before drawing my conclusions.

A chav kit it is not, a lot of effort has gone into that and I think it has a great deal of potential.

Dantheman......... you comments are quite frankly ill founded and ignorant. Aerodynamically this car would run rings around your yellow banana! ;)

Mikejc
Harold

Post by Harold »

Hunders wrote:When you say sick looking, I guess you must mean you taste some in your mouth when you glance at it. Right?

Ugly MR2 is ugly... Give me a standard body'd rev3/4 any day.

I agree with you, i prefer the standard look over any body kit i have seen. Just looks really nice and well designed.
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Mikejc wrote:Guys, some of you really are missing the point. That car has more aero thought than most MR2's i've seen on this site.

Dantheman......... you comments are quite frankly ill founded and ignorant. Aerodynamically this car would run rings around your yellow banana! ;)

Mikejc

Can you share the calcs and wind tunnel work you have done to determine the fantastic aero characteristics of that kit?

Jus' askin.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

wadeski wrote:
Mikejc wrote:Guys, some of you really are missing the point. That car has more aero thought than most MR2's i've seen on this site.

Mikejc

Can you share the calcs and wind tunnel work you have done to determine the fantastic aero characteristics of that kit?

Jus' askin.

yes actually from my time spent looking over the photos I have managed to create a scaled model. From here I fashioned a wind tunnel with the aid of a traffic cone, hair dryer and by repeatedly lightly numarous matchsticks I managed to create the smoke needed to observe the airflow and calculate the co efficiency of this chaps efforts with his kit. From here I created one more scaled model, strapped one to each foot and found that was able to lap my local park at a greater rate of knots.

After careful consideration I'm ready to share my ultimate findings...... Your a coc£ 

Funny how forums can be likened to a gents toilet.... Lots of penises in one place.

All joking aside, what a daft question. Looking at the pics does show a lot of promise, the basics look right. Nice and low, 3" off the ground being optimum. Efforts to counter the light front ends the mr2 suffers from at speed via splitter/ connards. The rear arches have allowed for a larger tire to be fitted from what I can make out, as have the fronts. All in all I think it's a good attempt.

As for me what do I know really. I've only been driving these cars for the last 8 yrs. Competed in them for 5 and spent countless hour on track days etc. Don't get me wrong, wisest is he who knows he knows nothing and all that. I'm still learning and improving my car as I go, but surely any fool can see the effort and thought behind this take. Like said it's not exactly pretty but it looks functional.

Mikejc
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Mikejc wrote:
A chav kit it is not, a lot of effort has gone into that and I think it has a great deal of potential

oh of that i have no doubt. afterall any body kit is better than no body kit regardless of its lack of aerodynamic intent. hell im not even running with any udertrays on at the monent. but i would be willing to bet that i could make my car generate less lift than his car for half the money he spent on that body kit.

but those canards are pathetic. heres how they should look:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... jGOIP-nZcK

also his front lip has a gap in the middle, which is wrong considering he has no diffuser and attempt at one, meaning he probably hasnt tried any underbody aero, which is the most important part. therefore i conclude its a chav kit, even if it does have some aerodynamic merit
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cant agree that any bodykit is better than none, some are proper tosh - in fact alot are but then 0you either prefer a std(ish) looking car or one thats ram raided halfords
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

dantheman wrote:
Mikejc wrote:
A chav kit it is not, a lot of effort has gone into that and I think it has a great deal of potential

oh of that i have no doubt. afterall any body kit is better than no body kit regardless of its lack of aerodynamic intent. hell im not even running with any udertrays on at the monent. but i would be willing to bet that i could make my car generate less lift than his car for half the money he spent on that body kit.

but those canards are pathetic. heres how they should look:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... jGOIP-nZcK

also his front lip has a gap in the middle, which is wrong considering he has no diffuser and attempt at one, meaning he probably hasnt tried any underbody aero, which is the most important part. therefore i conclude its a chav kit, even if it does have some aerodynamic merit

slightly back tracking on what I said in reply previously, refering to them on this as canards. They're not are they, the reason they look different on that is because they are differet.... They're canards mounted on the outside of the bumper. The ones on this MR2 are basically end plates on whats essentially an extended front wing! Not the same thing! So as for "it should look like this", noooooo.

I imagine you think DTM cars look like chav kits then? and super GT (jgtc) and other sports car racing series with aero on it?

Mikejc wrote:
Guys, some of you really are missing the point. That car has more aero thought than most MR2's i've seen on this site.

Dantheman......... you comments are quite frankly ill founded and ignorant. Aerodynamically this car would run rings around your yellow banana!

Mikejc

Jus' askin.

All well and good saying prove it is aerodynamic, but I ask you to also then prove it isn't! (ps. in by no means does that mean I am in a position to do either)

However, ask yourselves this if you're getting on the aero argument, how many of the UK time attack teams are likely to have access to a wind tunnell? and how many of them have crazy aero parts? Seems to work for them (presuming they do some sort of fluid dynamic calculations or the like to predict air flow). and if it doesn't then surely they wouldn't choose to carry the extra weight?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Will_bmx wrote:
slightly back tracking on what I said in reply previously, refering to them on this as canards. They're not are they, the reason they look different on that is because they are differet.... They're canards mounted on the outside of the bumper. The ones on this MR2 are basically end plates on whats essentially an extended front wing! Not the same thing! So as for "it should look like this", noooooo.

I imagine you think DTM cars look like chav kits then? and super GT (jgtc) and other sports car racing series with aero on it?

you know what you are absolutely right. they arent canards they are an attempt at a front wing. ill admit it, i was wrong.

the irony is it would have been better off with canards and a large slitter. reason being that the air that arrives at the front bumper stagnates, yes less so at the rounded edges of the bumper than in the centre, but it slows nonetheless. this increases its pressure. the flaps on that bumper dont work like an aerofoil, its a simple momentum changing profile, which deflects incoming air upwards. therefore it wants incoming air to be at maximum speed, the exact opposite situation to what is created in its location. so their effectiveness is going to be much lower compared to the splitter canard route.

oh and you find me a chav who owns a DTM or super GT car and i will eat my hat. DTM cars use good principles and tried and tested methods to create downforce. a chav says "ooo that looks/sounds good i'll install that", and does so regardless of its effect on performance.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”