[Mk2] [Turbo] Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sanchi

[Mk2] [Turbo] Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Post by sanchi »

Right, Firstly let me explain what I am doing and then get to the problem..

My cylinder head is off the car and getting rebuilt. I am trying to take off the 19mm bolt from the crank pulley and have connected my starter motor as I was going to wedge a bar and crank the engine over.

What I wanted to know is on the starter motor there is the brown connector that plugs in and another washer type connection wire that comes from the starter relay and the main power cable from the battery. Does the main cable battery and washer type connection wire go over the top of each other and then a nut over the top of that, I just can't remember.

This is the weird thing, I did that and with the head off and fuel relay unplugged I went to crank the engine over and I think my battery wasn't charged up enough to crank the engine and alot of clicking happened and nothing happened. Now the the weird this is that I saw smoke come from the engine and turned everything off check the engine to find my brand new hel braided clutch line that I installed and not used as the car is on axel stands has completely melted!!!

Have I done something wrong and where did I go wrong. I do really need to get this starter problem sorted so I can get that damn crank pulley bolt out..

Thanks

Regards,
Sanchi
greeny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Post by greeny »

IIRC if you dont have the earth that goes to the inlet manifold connected it will use the next thing to use as a ground, which seeing as you dont have the head on would be the clutch line im guessing!

You could try connecting the big earth from the inlet manifold directly to the block or gearbox and try again?

Cant you lock off the flywhell and get a big bar on the crank nut?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
sanchi

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Starter Problem Burnt my hel braided clutch... how????

Post by sanchi »

greeny wrote:IIRC if you dont have the earth that goes to the inlet manifold connected it will use the next thing to use as a ground, which seeing as you dont have the head on would be the clutch line im guessing!

You could try connecting the big earth from the inlet manifold directly to the block or gearbox and try again?

Cant you lock off the flywhell and get a big bar on the crank nut?

I was thinking that as a last resort really would it be a problem as I'm running an orc orgura 409 clutch and flywheel.

Also how would I run the earth and am I right in having the main power cable and starter relay cable together. Where abouts should I be looking for it as I'll have to check tomorrow morning for it.

EDIT: I just re-read the post, so is the earth already connected to the body, I just need to connect the other side to the block or gearbox.

and thanks for that mate! :thumleft:
Regards,
Sanchi

Return to “Mechanical”