'Classics' magazine, mr2 inside

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jb007

'Classics' magazine, mr2 inside

Post by jb007 »

Thought some of you would like to know, if you have not already seen it, 'classics' magazine I think it was, has an article about affordable classics sports, saw a blue mk1 on the cover. Didnt have time to stop for proper look but I saw a mk1 for sure.

jon
The Silver Fox

Re: 'Classics' magazine, mr2 inside

Post by The Silver Fox »

Classics Monthly, Group test of six soft tops. The MR2 is a G reg T-bar up against an MGB, MX5, MGF, Lotus Elan and Triumph Spitfire.

They put the MR2 second behind the MX5 but I think they got it wrong.

MX5 Handling 5, Engine 4, DIY maintenance 4, Value for Money 5, Build Quality 5. Total 23/25

MR2 Handling 5, Engine 4, DIY maintenance 3, value for Money 5, Build Quality 5. Total 22/25

The MGB and Spitfire both scored 20/25 and the MGF and Elan both scored 19/25.

I havent read the whole article yet but I think a letter to the Editor regarding maintenance is in order!!

Douglas
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Why? The mx5 is alot easier to work on and I would probably say a better car than the mk1 mr2.

Personally I just prefer the size of the cockpit on the mr2 :eye:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

The body work has to be more rust resistant than the mr2 i'd have thought...

it just more of a hairdressers car thats all
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Having worked on many Mk1s and Mx5s over the years i'd say the Mk1 is a lot easier to work on, they got that wrong.
widster

Post by widster »

Still, a close second out of six is a good result. Most people will acknowledge that the MX5 is also a good car. I personally like the quirkiness of the MR2, i.e. mid engined, revvy engine, t-bar roof (not on all i appreciate) and the angular design, as opposed to the MX5 being a modern take on the Elan. I would have thought the MR2 would score more for it's engine than the MX5 personally since from memory the articles i've read don't mark that down as the MX5's best feature?
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I'd imagine they have to score all the cars 'closer' than the real truth so they don't offend too many readers who own the cars.

However, they put the best car first (MX5) and it was nice to see the MR2 come second.

I don't know much about the Elan (FWD model?) but the MGF and the MGB are terrible cars.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

They didn't mark the Mk1 down on maintenence because it's mid engined did they? The fact you might have to reach a bit further to get to some bits?

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

JMR_AW11 wrote:I don't know much about the Elan (FWD model?) but the MGF and the MGB are terrible cars.

I knew an excellent mechanic once who said '.... I wouldn't have a MGF if you paid me!' Apparently they've got loads of common components with the Austin/Rover Metro which we famed for being 5h1t :lol:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:
I knew an excellent mechanic once who said '.... I wouldn't have a MGF if you paid me!' Apparently they've got loads of common components with the Austin/Rover Metro which we famed for being 5h1t :lol:

I have to at least offer up some defence for the much maligned Metro, if I had not had a couple of these in my long lost youth I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt a repair job on a car that I do now.

Thanks to my old Metro's I have saved myself literally thousands of pounds of garage costs and certainly mechanically there aren't really many repairs I wouldn't have a crack at.
Used to have a 1.0 HLE had twin pot calipers up front as standard and could stop on a sixpence (2.5p) :D then had an MG metro which I totally ruined on Formula Shell petrol but because of that I could whip the head off and clean and reseat all the valves and rebuild all in a day no probs.

Alan
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

I think that's fair enough, having driven a few MX-5's as well. They're lovely cars, and finding a good one is a whole heap easier than finding an equivalent quality Mk1 Mr2.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

After a blast of around 2hrs today in the sun with the t-bar panels off..... with a great big cheesy smile i went off to buy a copy of Classics monthly.

After reading this test one thing came to my mind that nobody has mentioned is how many MR2 MK1's do you see when driving about?

Today i saw 4 MX5's and 2 of them were early versions but how many mr2 have i seen in the last 6 weeks since i became the new owner of this great car?
apart from the ones parked at Paul woods place ... NONE!

So Classics Monthly didnt mention that buyinga MX5 also puts you the driver into a very forgetable car.

Most people couldn't tell a early MX5 from a newer version but any MR2 MK1 is UNFORGETABLE. :thumleft:
jb007

Post by jb007 »

mulaz wrote:After a blast of around 2hrs today in the sun with the t-bar panels off..... with a great big cheesy smile i went off to buy a copy of Classics monthly.

After reading this test one thing came to my mind that nobody has mentioned is how many MR2 MK1's do you see when driving about?

Today i saw 4 MX5's and 2 of them were early versions but how many mr2 have i seen in the last 6 weeks since i became the new owner of this great car?
apart from the ones parked at Paul woods place ... NONE!

So Classics Monthly didnt mention that buyinga MX5 also puts you the driver into a very forgetable car.

Spot on, exactly!

Spot on!
Most people couldn't tell a early MX5 from a newer version but any MR2 MK1 is UNFORGETABLE. :thumleft:

Spot on! and for me, THATS the point, its quirky and unlike anything else out there at this money level! In manchester my car gets more glances and interested looks than most Ferraris and Astons etc, anyone with money can buy a new flashy car.
Last edited by jb007 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbad

Post by superbad »

Good result for the Mk1 MR2 if you ask me and to lose out to the MX5 by one point on maintenance doesn't seem unfair at all. I didn't even realise they were considered a "classic". I remember considering an MX5 before I bought my '2 but it didn't tick as many boxes for me personally. Like has been mentioned earlier, because of the success story of the MX5 you can't go anywhere without seeing at least one. So far this summer I've seen ONE mk1 MR2, and very nice it was too!
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

cant find the mag near me. anyone able to scan the MR2 pages?
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

might be a few copyright issues with that
Exile

Post by Exile »

jb007 wrote:anyone with money can buy a new flashy car.

:clap: :clap:

You said it...and even then, many 'flashy' cars end up being 'disposable'(and faceless after a few years - were they really that flash after all?? :-k ), and don't end up as classics...
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

To be Honest the Mags write up on all the cars was very poor and didn't go into any real detail that i didn't know already.
You will find a better write up in the Mag on cordless drills!!! and they also got that wrong .
picking a £35 draper as the winner, :clown: Have they not heard of Dewalt

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”