How to crank engine over without starting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AndyA

How to crank engine over without starting

Post by AndyA »

Hi there,

My car has been sat for a while, so want to crank it over without starting it to build up a bit of oil pressure and make sure things are well lubed :wink:

Is there a fuse I can pull to disable the fuel pump? I can obviously just remove the HT centre lead to stop the spark?

Cheers, Andy
cartledge_uk

Re: How to crank engine over without starting

Post by cartledge_uk »

ratchet and socket on the crank first (by hand)

Then remove the king lead from the ignitor to dizzy, that should work.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

the same way as when you want to bring up oil pressure on a new rebuilt engine before firing it up.

remove the spark plugs, throttle wide open and turn the key. make sure your battery is fully charged since it's been sitting.

it wont take long for oil pressure to build, so i never worry about diabling the fuel pump, you can do if you want.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

id disconnect the fuel supply in some way personally, otherwise youll throw fuel into the cylinders and youll have a hard time starting it later. especially if the battery has been sat for a while and doesnt have much juice.

theres bound to be a fuse somewhere, maybe in the engine bay fusebox. they are all labelled, so im sure it will be fairly obvious. i seem to remember there being an injection system fuse, that might do it.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'd just start it in all honesty. If it hasn't been started in a while it will take a few cranks before the fuel gets there which will be time enough for some oil pressure to build.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Disconnect the Circuit opening relay (COR) in the boot, you will find it attached to the ECU, this in effect is your fuel pump relay. That will let you crank the engine over without flooding the cylinders and let you get oil around the engine before firing it.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Used a combination of the above advice & got it sorted ok :D

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies :thumleft:

Andy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”