[Mk2] [NA] PPC £999 challenge MR2 - she flys!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

Re: [Mk2] [NA] PPC £999 challenge MR2 - she flys!!

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Nickp wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:
Nickp wrote:
Camber-wise, if I'm feeling posh I could get the adjustable top bolts or more likely I'll just elongate the top hole in the bottom strut mount making it adjustable that way. Then once set I can tack weld a washer to keep it all in place :)

Just a note for you to consider ,if you want the camber adjustment back just fit some rev1 front tie bars and the fixing brackets

Won't that be caster adjustment? :-k

:oops: I get confused easy
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

No worries mate :wink: It's a Rev1 anyway so should already have these. 8) Cheers Nick
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

BLZ-8027 wrote:
Nickp wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:

Just a note for you to consider ,if you want the camber adjustment back just fit some rev1 front tie bars and the fixing brackets

Won't that be caster adjustment? :-k

:oops: I get confused easy

Nickp wrote:No worries mate :wink: It's a Rev1 anyway so should already have these. 8) Cheers Nick

Not my day is it :oops:
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Made some good progress this weekend with our £999 car, most significant been the fitting of our 'Buddy Clubs'.

Off with the old and on with the new-

And fitted-

Anyone's welcome to come along to watch the fun :thumright:

New lower / meaner stance-

We also did away with the humongous airbox assembly and replaced it with the K&N cone filter that came with the car, using a 15" length of B&Qs finest fall pipe to poke it over by the side vent for some nice cold air.

The car should be making its track debut at PPC in the park -
http://www.ppc-mag.co.uk/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=29

Before going on to the main event-
http://www.ppc-mag.co.uk/999-challenge.html
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice little project there mate.

The split rims will be worth at least £250 - don't let anyone tell you they aren't. 16's are the best compromise between looks and handling on the MR2.

A good free mod is to ensure your throttle cable hasn't gone slack near the linkage - more than likely on a car this age.

Also - ensure your intake sensor is still fitted after the air filter like the original was.

Another quicky which I always felt worked but maybe was a butt-dyno thing: Take out your ECU fuses in front and rear fuse boxes after taking the car for a warm up. Wait 5 mins and then take it out for a thrash. Lots of people agree there is a self-learning ECU on these cars. In any event it will clear old error codes which might be restricting performance.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Thanks for the tips Rob, all are welcome as I'm still learning when it comes to MR2s. Which fuses are you talking about exactly? I suppose disconnecting the battery would have the same effect? :-k
We did have the wheels sold provisionally for a cash injection, but our budgets OK so we'll probably hold on to them for now.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just the ones marked like ECU-1B etc in the front and rear boxes. I guess batter disconnect might do that too - but pulling fuses is much easier!
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

It's been a while since I updated my £999 project, as I've been a tad busy after recent 'developments'!!
Unfortunately the engine repairs only survived about 200mls of thrashing before the dreaded bottom end rattle returned :sad: This only left us a few short weeks to sort an engine before the cars planned track debut at PPC in the Park (Mallory). So I popped straight onto ebay and won a complete 3SGE engine and box (auto!!) from a '96 Celica (177bhp) for £100 :thumleft: To fit this in my Rev1 I needed a REV3 ECU, loom, manifold and downpies. So we managed to get the engine in the weekend before and it started first time :thumleft: , then died :( Turns out that some wires between the Rev1 body loom and the Rev3 ECU didn't quite mate up, the main one been to activate the fuel pump once running. I managed to sort the 'critical' electrical issues by Thursday before heading off to Mallory on Friday \:D/ The engine ran fine but wasn't really setting the world alight. However, after a couple of track sessions it suddenly came to life!! :shock: :D And after a bit of a mechanical drama when the exhaust snapped clean in half in front of the flexi (removed and welded up :thumleft: ) it was flying in the afternoon track sessions. The cars Buddy Club coilovers really started to show there worth on track where we were able to pass most cars at will round the outside of Gerrards, my record was 4 in one go :lol: It was pretty cool that quite a few people had noticed its pace and came over to ask what we'd done to it and what engine was fitted. I think they were slightly surprised when I told them it was a £100 ebay special and not a Turbo either 8) We're now on the hunt for some used slicks to take it to the next level for future track days.

Big thanks to Peter at SBITS for all the info and help and Patrick at Rogue also. :clap:
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

They look like tom's C7R's......

Supposidly a rare wheel, 4 sets have surfaces on here recently!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Very familiar looking coil overs- I'm guessing they came from Patrick?

Car's looking good mate :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

rossdymond3352 wrote:They look like tom's C7R's......

They are Work Equip's, not C7R's.

Sounds like you got some good pace from the car - what competition were you up against?
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Very cool thread indeed :thumleft:
I definitely want to get my n/a back out on track this year, just need to replace the suspension initially, and get some handling tuition.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Rob wrote:
rossdymond3352 wrote:They look like tom's C7R's......

They are Work Equip's, not C7R's.

Sounds like you got some good pace from the car - what competition were you up against?

The variety on track had to be seen to be believed, it was PPC after all!! :shock: There were very few standard cars out there so it's difficult to benchmark it. There was a yellow Tubby out in my mates session and he must have been lapping 3-4secs a lap faster than it, as he made up nearly a full lap in a 15min session :clap: The best 'battle' we had was with another old Toyota, a RWD Corrolla AE86. It was stripped down to 900kg and on slicks so he was probably about 300-350kg lighter as we were 2 up and he was solo. He could close up on the bends with his slicks but we could edge away on the straights, top fun and we had a good chat afterwards :thumleft:
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

bu88er, so they are.....my poor old eyes! :(
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

How the hell did someone get an AE86 in the £999 challenge?!
Top stuff tho nick, sadly not had chance to make it to any sort of event this year, was hoping to come along as well. Pants.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Nickp wrote:The engine ran fine but wasn't really setting the world alight. However, after a couple of track sessions it suddenly came to life!!

I just love that feeling when you slip into second gear :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments Nik - and glad all that hard work has paid off.

Bloody PPC £999 challenge - not earned a penny off you yet :lol:
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Steve Horrocks wrote:How the hell did someone get an AE86 in the £999 challenge?!
Top stuff tho nick, sadly not had chance to make it to any sort of event this year, was hoping to come along as well. Pants.

Aye up Steve, this wasn't the £999 mate. Just a warm up for us at PPC in the Park :D
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Nickp wrote:The engine ran fine but wasn't really setting the world alight. However, after a couple of track sessions it suddenly came to life!!

Hey Peter, it's a good job all your customers aren't on our budget!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Your rewards shall be in an alcoholic liquid form of the red grape variety ;) Thanks again mate :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Nickp wrote:

Hey Peter, it's a good job all your customers aren't on our budget!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Your rewards shall be in an alcoholic liquid form of the red grape variety ;) Thanks again mate :thumleft:

A pleasure :thumleft: Bet you've learned a lot more about MR2s in the last few weeks than you ever expected to!
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Nickp wrote:

A pleasure :thumleft: Bet you've learned a lot more about MR2s in the last few weeks than you ever expected to!

Indeed!! It has been a steep learning curve, but very rewarding when it all eventually comes together \:D/ Now where's that £999 trophy?

Return to “Modifications”