[Mk2] [Turbo] Hybrid Turbos

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam86
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Hybrid Turbos

Post by Adam86 »

Whats different between the standard ct20b and a hybrid ct20b? In what way is a hybrid turbo better for performance?
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Hybrid Turbos

Post by Marf »

Generally a hybrid will have a larger compressor wheel than the original turbo.

This usually means that the hybrid will make more power, at the expense of spool.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

I know every engine is different but what sort of extra bhp power would you hope for at 1.2 bar? 10bhp?

How much longer of a spool are we talking? A second or so?

Thanks for the advice :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Hard to say, there are so many variables. Your best bet is to wait for someone who has fitted one to give you an idea of the differences.

Regarding spool, its not a matter of seconds but a matter of RPM before the turbo starts spooling up.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Ok bud thanks for the help :D
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Marf wrote:Hard to say, there are so many variables. Your best bet is to wait for someone who has fitted one to give you an idea of the differences.

You make a valid point, but I would ahve said the biggest variable with a hybrid is going to be, who's hybrid it is.. TT will be slightly different to Fensports, Universal Turbos etc

They tend to have a steel shaft so they are a bit stronger :thumleft:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

my tubbys ct26 gave up the ghost so decided to go for the turbotechnics hybrid rated to 380hp and 1.7bar (supposedly) imho i rearly didnt notice that much diffrence from the old turboto the hybrid apart from boost seamed to come as more of a surge of power rather than lag then a hit up the back side :lol: but when i say dont buy a TT hybrid please take my word for it, i bought mine brand new from them with 2year warrenty, after about 8months worth of use (on standard boost!) it decided to crap it self in a big big way intern destroying my engine so seriously there was nothing that could be slavaged, we sent the turbo to TT a week later got a call saying the turbo oil supply had become contaminated wich was utter crap as i had a garret inline oil filter and filters were regularly changed, they said id couldnt be fixed :shock: when i kicked up a major ordeal they then said it could for just over 600, i told them were to go, a few weeks later i spoke to T b T i M, and exsplained what had happend shockingly he had near on the same rpoblem on more than 3 of the cars who had come in with engine failure the fourth time he stripped the turbo down him self, there was NO contamination atall, he put it back together again and sent it away to them, once again there answer was contamination he responded that he had already inspected it, the denied they had made the wrong diagnosis and then said they wouldnt fix it as he had voided the warrenty, he never hurd from them again and will never deal with then again a lesson to all stay away from turbotechnics =;, i have hurd brilliant reveiws on the fensport hybrids i rearly wish i had fitted one of them you live and learn i guess :roll:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Marf

Post by Marf »

Never used TT, mainly because they were so damned expensive!

When I had my charade turbo I made a hybrid myself using the hotside from an old maserati turbo and the cold side from a 1600 Mazda 323 GTX.

Put it all together with the help of a mate then sent it to AET to be rebuilt and balanced.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The CT26 is the turbo to build a hybrid from not a CT20B. It has a larger turbine wheel and the shaft is bigger, the CT20b shafts snap.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Mike

Post by Mike »

I fitted a Fensport Stage 2 CT26 hybrid about 2/3 years ago now. Not wanting to tempt fate but so far so good. The main benefit for me is that the standard CT26 runs out of puff higher up the rev range whereas the hybrid holds boost up to the red line. (this was confirmed at a dyno day I went to a while back)

As has already been mentioned the steel shaft is also a bonus being more sturdy than the standard ceramic shaft. Mine is optimised to run at 1.2bar but I've never had it above 0.9bar. Now I've got my IC fitted I'm gonna raise the boost up to 1.2 and see how she feels :)

You probably wont notice much if any difference simply fitting a hybrid, but its the hybrids' ability to run at higher boost levels that makes the difference.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

LOL @ the TT excuse. I wish I had a pound for every time they said that to a customer.

Perfect get out jail free card for there shockingly bad turbos.

Return to “Modifications”