R888 prices..

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tomiam

R888 prices..

Post by Tomiam »

I must admit its been about a year and a bit since I bought a full set but jeebus the prices have shot up!!!

If I remember rightly, I used to be able to pick up a full set for about £360. Now Im finding that Im gonna have to pay nearly £200 more for a full set!! £534 is best price so far and thats from camskill.
F - 195/55/R15
R - 235/50/ZR15

Any of you folks regularly doing trackdays got a recomendation on alternative tyres or (and I realise Im asking a lot) know of anywhere cheaper for R888's.
MartG

Re: R888 prices..

Post by MartG »

I've read of people using road legal rally slicks with some success e.g the ones here http://www.ears.co.uk/motorsport/acatal ... ck_59.html

Quite cheap too
aw11rally

Demon Tweeks

Post by aw11rally »

I'm not sure how close to north wales you are, but tweeks will price match or beat anyone on tyres (suprising I know considering everything else they sell is so expensive). We get R888's off them for the rally car, they are even cheaper than getting mail order or ebay.

Give them a call.

(It would have to be hard compound rally slicks or you would get about 1000miles of road use or half a track day on soft ones, R888 medium compound last us about 100 stage miles)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

If you think R888's are expensive, dont even bother looking at the cost of ABC10's :cry:

My wheels and tyres are worth more than the car.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Thanks for the replies folks.
Still shopping around. Having a nightmare finding a tyre which has good trackday reviews and is available in the sizes I want.

Cant believe how much some brands have gone up in a few years!!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

R888's were marketed cheaply in order to establish themselves, once they had the name, the price went up
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Didnt know that, Id thought they had been out for quite a while, but the reasons Ive found so far include:-
+ toyo has reduced the number of distrubutors of R888s
+ oil price
+ pound vs ....
+ vat price increase since Jan

For anyone else browsing this thread:- Ive found some info on alternatives here.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... lternative to Toyo R888's
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Poo was hoping to get some R888's.

Have you tried you local tire places, even the usual high street tyre guys ca\n get the R888's and they came in alot lower than Camskill last time I asked.

I am running Yoko Parada 2's at the moment, good tire and very impressed at the grip levels, quite soft though my demon camber on the front means they are wearing quite quickly. Still £40 a pop so not bad.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Depending on how many sets you think you might use in a year, it might be worth registering for the MR2 Super GT series to take advantage of the discounted rate offered:

http://mr2championship.freeforums.org/m ... -t869.html
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tomiam wrote:Didnt know that, Id thought they had been out for quite a while, but the reasons Ive found so far include:-
+ toyo has reduced the number of distrubutors of R888s
+ oil price
+ pound vs ....
+ vat price increase since Jan

For anyone else browsing this thread:- Ive found some info on alternatives here.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... lternative to Toyo R888's

If you look at the price compared to the A048's, although the prices have gone up lightly due to the reasons you state above ~£10%, there is a significant difference due to Toiyo hiking the price now the R888 is established ~20-40%
System-G

Post by System-G »

Bender Unit wrote:
I am running Yoko Parada 2's at the moment, good tire and very impressed at the grip levels, quite soft though my demon camber on the front means they are wearing quite quickly. Still £40 a pop so not bad.

Those Parada Spec 2's are OK for road use, but far too soft for track use. I completely toasted a set in a day at Spa where where most of the day was wet. After that experience we started using the 888's for all conditions and road use(getting to and from circuits). A friend also running Paradas on his MK1 was blowing huge chunks of rubber out of the corners by 11am on a hot dry day at spa. Not good.

On the medium compound 888's (GG), we get through 3 full sets a year - around 5000 miles.

I am currently paying £55/corner (trade) for 195/50/15.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
teknof

I'm an idiot

Post by teknof »

I'd just like to thank everyone for a very useful and informative thread about the R888 price hike.

...Unfortunately I only found it after making a stupid mistake. Last time I ordered R888's they cost about £360 for all 4, so this time when I saw a price on camskills of £175 for the front and £185 for the rear I assumed the prices were for pairs of tyres. I think you can see where this is going.

So this morning I received some lovely sticky rubber for one side of my car. Ahem. Yeah.

BTW the reason the price has doubled for me, rather than just the 60% increase Toyo have applied, is because I've also bought some new, larger (16") rims.

Anyway, I'm now debating whether to send these back and buy 4 cheaper ones, or bite the bullet and get the other 2... Well truth be told I've already made my mind up, I can't buy new wheels and not get the tyres I want, that would be such a cop-out.

But, yeah, I'm an idiot. If only I'd read this thread earlier, at least then I would have planned things better!
draz1k

Post by draz1k »

unlucky mate,

Im in a similar situation, i have a set of 16" wheels and cant decide to get semi slicks for these or, sell and go for some stock 15"

an intersting review for some modern track tyres

Tyre Review
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

System-G wrote:I am currently paying £55/corner (trade) for 195/50/15.

Any chance of getting these to sell on to us? That is a great price for R888's, I dont mind paying you a bit extra so you make some money too :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

alan wheeldon wrote:

Any chance of getting these to sell on to us? That is a great price for R888's, I dont mind paying you a bit extra so

+1
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

ashman wrote:
alan wheeldon wrote:

Any chance of getting these to sell on to us? That is a great price for R888's, I dont mind paying you a bit extra so

+1

+2
super

Post by super »

Hi,

Look into Michelin pilot sport cup tyres. I used to use these a few years ago. Very nice for track work and ok on the road. Not good in the wet though, at all.

Make sure it's the pilot sport cup tyres, the important word being "cup", not just plain old pilot sports.

I can't remember exact prices now, but I used to use them on the stock 15" wheels. Anyway, worth a look as an alternative.

cheers,

John
MR2Pagey

Post by MR2Pagey »

Adam86 wrote:
ashman wrote:
alan wheeldon wrote:

+1

+2

+3
benGT

Post by benGT »

Have you considered the Silverstone equivalent? They're supposed to be cheapish and good

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”