Radiator Fan help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Radiator Fan help

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

My radiator fans never come on but they come on when you disconnect the fan switch wire. I got a replacement radiator fan switch sensor from Camskill today and fitted it.

Now my fans run all the time, the wire is fully plugged in etc. Any ideas on what it could be?

JohnnyC

Re: Radiator Fan help

Post by JohnnyC »

You haven't snagged a wire somewhere have you whilst installing it?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

no wire was all free etc, but Ill plug the old sensor in to check

Googled the number on the box and it comes back as a toyota sensor so its the right one (89428-06010) but little annoyed as I noticed these can be bought in bulk for $0.50 - $2 shipped, But a Min order of 1000 (order 6000 to get them at $0.50 each) but just goes to show how much profit people make on these!!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

connected the old sensor and the fans dont come on.

I checked the continuity on the Old switch and there was None
I checked the continuity on the New switch and it had continuity (switch made a complete circuit)

What I dont understand is surely with the old switch connected the fans should come on as technically its just like having the plug / wire disconnected (No continuity)???

Any help would be great :thumleft:
solly

Post by solly »

I had the same sort of thing i changed the rad and fan over and now the fan stays on all the time.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

is it right that the camskill sensor doesnt work as they are for non ac cars (even though the site doesnt say anything about this!!!)
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:is it right that the camskill sensor doesnt work as they are for non ac cars (even though the site doesnt say anything about this!!!)

I'd have thought that it'd be the other way around, as Camskill only list the sensor in their 'turbo' section and is not listed for the UK (or even the import NA oddly :-k ).

They are different depending on whether the car has AC or not, god only knows why though.
From Toyota, they're around £25 for the AC version, and £50 for non-AC :shock:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

JohnnyC wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:is it right that the camskill sensor doesnt work as they are for non ac cars (even though the site doesnt say anything about this!!!)

I'd have thought that it'd be the other way around, as Camskill only list the sensor in their 'turbo' section and is not listed for the UK (or even the import NA oddly :-k ).

They are different depending on whether the car has AC or not, god only knows why though.
From Toyota, they're around £25 for the AC version, and £50 for non-AC :shock:

I think this is the problem, it was someone on MR2oc that said the camskill one is a Non AC Sensor that made his fans fun all the time and they ended up going to toyota for one and it worked perfectly!!! Damn it!!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”