NEW MEMBERS - Don't be shy, click here!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Icsunonove

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Don't be shy, click here!

Post by Icsunonove »

Good news Geoff! :D

And yes this forum is a good idea. I *think* Lauren did most of the setting up (sorry if I'm wrong) and Pete Mason and Steve Kingsnorth are now moderating it. =D>

I'd better shut up now, going off topic :-$

Next new member please.....
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Icsunonove wrote:Good news Geoff! :D

And yes this forum is a good idea. I *think* Lauren did most of the setting up (sorry if I'm wrong) and Pete Mason and Steve Kingsnorth are now moderating it. =D>

I'd better shut up now, going off topic :-$

Next new member please.....

Its actually Spudgun who is the other moderator with Pete being the other of course. ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
djdna2000

Post by djdna2000 »

Do I count as a new member? I haven't actually paid anyone to be a member of anything yet, though I will get round to doing so. But I'm a forum member anyhow.

Dan Johnson, 28, IT consultant from Manchester. Red '89 AW11 which is structurally sound and needs some bodywork tlc - but instead is getting a gen 3 3S-GTE :D It's an engine I know very well from my years of ST205 ownership. Check out my site http://www.st205.net for the old car, gone but not forgotten. I'll post up progress of the swap on there too when I get round to it :mrgreen:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Hi, I'm Ollie. I am 24 , live in the sticks in Hertfordshire. I own an 88 hardtop white over silver supercharger, a N/a Tbar (forsale) a lovely low mileage Phase 1 na and I also have a scrap Mk1a for spares and repairs... I love the Mk1's , I use my supercharger as a daily driver currently, but I am hopefully going to have it off the road this winter to avoid the salt. I'm looking at buying a mini of some description to be my run about, but am also considering another Fiat Uno Turbo (I've has them before - cheap thrills!)
Anyway, nice to be here, looks like another useful forum and info resource
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Hi, Mike, 42 years young, from Nottingham and bought my first MR2 a week or so ago. She's a Red 1986 MK1a Coupe and in need of a bit of tweeking to get her running smoothly. I already did the inside with Dynamat (I'm used to driving a super quiet IS300), have fitted a K&N 57i and in the next couple of weeks will have her lowered on -30mm springs and Tokico adjustable dampeners. Oh, and 15" Wolfrace rims.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedWitch wrote:Hi, Mike, 42 years young, from Nottingham and bought my first MR2 a week or so ago. She's a Red 1986 MK1a Coupe and in need of a bit of tweeking to get her running smoothly. I already did the inside with Dynamat (I'm used to driving a super quiet IS300), have fitted a K&N 57i and in the next couple of weeks will have her lowered on -30mm springs and Tokico adjustable dampeners. Oh, and 15" Wolfrace rims.

Ooh Snap! Any reason why Tokico?

I know the US guys use them, but the last i heard they are moving towards Koni's now they are becoming available over there.

I 've used Koni's for 4 years now on the three MK1s i've had they do work very well.

Are the Tokico's adjustable?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Lauren - yes the Tokico's are adjustable at the top. I bought these from a supplier in the US, cost £266 inclusive of shipping, and no VAT or duty to pay. The Koni's come in at around £375 PLUS shipping.
jasper

Post by jasper »

Hi, everyone. Paul, 39, live in Letchworth, Herts. I've been into the Mk1 since the beginning of time when one pulled up in my street in 85. I knew then that I had to have one. Bought a white coupe in 93, she was an 85 but for some reason her plate was A15 GUG. Has anyone got her? I sold her to a London garage in 98 because myself and girlfriend had company cars and couldn't really justify having another car on the drive.
I knew that I had to get another so eventually bought a 88 Mica Blue T-bar in 2002. Was used a daily car until last year, when work very kindly gave me an SLK. Nice car but something was missing. Anyway that was the downfall, she ended up on the drive rotting for nearly a year...! :cry: Missed her so got her back on the road. Started first time after a battery charge. Just got her through the MOT and got the bug again. Big grins on the face everytime I'm driving her. \:D/ Not sure if the bodywork's beyond help though, see more and more holes each time I look.... :( . The main problem is behind the mudflaps/under bumper and also on the strip at the top of the windscreen. How easy is it to sort these problems and does anyone know a good bodyshop in the Herts area?
Hope you can help...???
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Hi,

My name's David, i'm 31, work as a claims assessor, i have a late '87 red SC with about 114,000 miles (or is that kilometers?), and i love it (except the mpg and cost of parts from Mr T). I don't know a great deal about cars, although i'm fairly practical and keen to learn. If there are any members in the Reading or High Wycombe area with knowledge or help they'd like to pass on, mostly general upkeep and maintenance (e.g., some rust appearing that needs seeing to, waxoiling, preservation), perhaps in exchange for some monkey work or onerous tasks, i'd love to hear from them.

Great site
frogge

Post by frogge »

What ho, all,
I hite Frogge, another NW member.
Owner of a red '87 coupe and white '89 Tbar. The coupe is currently under the ministrations of Jim, whilst the Tbar serves as my everyday transport, covering several hundred miles every week. A more reliable & comfortable car I could not wish for!
frogge

Post by frogge »

Jasper,
Theres a place in Baldock that advertises in the Mk1 Club magazine.
jsheathcote

Post by jsheathcote »

Hi I'm Jay. As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a Mica Blue '88 MK1b. The condition is generally very good apart from few small niggles I hope to have ironed out very soon. Already I have binned the crud Tigar rear rubber for a new pair of Pirelli P6000, prompted by almost losing the back end twice on the way home from the seller in the damp conditions. Eagles still good on the front. Despite recomendations from the members I was unable to find a set of Eagles for the rear locally.

I live in Wollaton, Nottingham. I'm 34, have two kids (Karl 12 and Suzanne 3). I was intending on looking for a second car to share my commuting miles to Newark and back. The purchase this second car was hurriedly brought forward thanks to some a-hole who caused a costly prang to my tweeked Mini. I was originally looking at a FIAT Icsunonove :) I've seen you name before Mr Icsunonove ;) but stubled upon a nice Mk1 locally.

As already mentioned, I work in Newark. I'm an IT and Service Manager at a Medical Supplies company. I'm into the Classic Minis in a big way and like everything else I get involved in very soon to be the same way with the MR2. I'm also into Archery.
Last edited by jsheathcote on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

*stands*

Hi I'm Ross I have owned a F plated white T-bar that I broke for bits for my summer toy, a red D plated T-bar.
I bought my Red Mr2 with minor fire damage, from what I can see the damage consists of melted changer cables & a collapsed fuel pipe. The bodywork is in need of some TLC with rusted out sills & rear arches.
I do have a huge wad of papwerwork incluing a mint owners manual & a set of T-bar bags that came with the car.
My intention is to 'modernise' the car whilst keeping with the classic look, so I so far have got a set of clear side repeaters & a short shift kit. I am also looking to fit a StyleAuto front skirt.
I am a collector of rare mr2 parts, so far I have a set of Factory front foggies & a auto headlight control system, I am on the look out for some other parts, a list of which can be found in the Forsale/Wanted section of this website.

My car is a very long term project as I am currently half way through another little project, details of which can be found on my website: www.chunky-monkey.co.uk I hope to start the mr2 sometime next year.
Although I am a great believer that a car should be used for the purposes in which it was made (i.e driving) my mr2 will only be used in the Summer, not nessisarly dry but non-salty runs.
I am a avid fan of keeping a board updated on my projects so when I start expect lots of posts with even more pics.

I live in Boston, Lincolnshire & hope to show the old girl as soon as possable & turn out at local meets.

Well enough of me running on, that's me & thats what I have so hi all! :cyclops:

*sits*
mr2_pj

Post by mr2_pj »

Hi I have just joined my name is PJ I have a 87 sun roof model in red 78,000 miles and a judge owner for most of it's life. I owned a new 03 reg mr2 for the last couple of years but prefered the mk1 so up-graded!!
Sorry no animals due to a lovley high mantinance girlfriend who takes up any spare time not spent tinkering with the mk1!! Oh I am 23 nearley 24. \:D/
gadget225

gadget225

Post by gadget225 »

hi my names mark i live in the medway towns (kent)

i have a 1988 mk1 in mint condition t bar in red i have spent a lot of time and money on my mr2 but she is almost ready to be put back on the road ive just rebuilt the top end just got to put her back together

i will then go to some of the meetings to meet some of you other mr2 owners
gordy.r

Post by gordy.r »

Hello ha!

Well im gordy, 24, and im having a relationship with a 1986 mk1a. :D
She is a silver tin top and has seen just over 86000 miles of tarmac in her time.
Though we only got together recently, i have to admit she is very nice, has a lovely body, (though a visit to the surgeon some time this year to have a little nip and tuck in the arches department may well be on the cards), and has obviously been looked after well in previous 'relationships'.

I myself, am from just outside Glasgow (any mk1 owners nearby drop me a line at [email protected] to maybe start up a meet in the area?) and my hobbies include travelling about, chilling out and getting her cheeky bottom out on the roundabouts! \:D/

Its good to drop in here now and again and get some hints and tips on things to do with car, so cheers to all those who have helped me so far, and keep up the good work all!

Gordy.
34atm85

Erin Karsan - 1 of the 4 MR2 owners in Turkey (The most perfect condition)

Post by 34atm85 »

Hi, I am Erin from Turkey, 41 years old. Own an MR2 (just bought it, because I fall in love with it), a 300gt VR4 (700HP money pit), a subaru forester (gonna sell it), nissan Micra (Pocket saver, wife drives it)

I wanted to buy an MK2 but couldnt find a good one with Turbo. I saw this car at the mechanic and the old owner was selling it. I offered him some funny amount, he accepted it. I bought the car but now I know why accepted it because the engine needs complete overhaul which I am doing it now.

I am happy to that I joined this group and learned a lot reading from the posts, thank you very much

Erin Karsan
Nickstapleton

Post by Nickstapleton »

Hi all, Nick Stapleton here I recently picked up a Mk1b T-top n/a in white, recently returned from France, now living in Gosport, Hants. Some of the MK1 owners that went to the 24h Le Mans last year would know me as Nick that had a two tone Grey/black rev 2 n/a with a border kit.
After selling my Rev 2 and buying a diesel for a while I decided I needed to get some fun back into driving, so I saught the AW11.

The car is standard at the moment but I plan to get some nice Deep dish 15s on there good set of coilovers oh and possibly a SC with the bigger pulley kit for a little added power :mrgreen:, then off on a track day to rival my mates MX5 \:D/ .

Anyways enough from me, will no doubt be posting pics up soon :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Hiya Nick,

I live in Gosport too, I think I've seen you out and about. Your car wasn't in Car Cosmetics the other day was it?

My other half (Cassi) drives a satin black Mk1 that you might have seen out and about Gosport. I'm currently driving a white Gen 5 Celica but the Mk1 will be back soon. :pray:

Hello to Erin too, it's good to see some folks from other countries joining up, get some pics of your car up in the members profile section so we can all have a look. :thumleft: :mrgreen:
laam999

Post by laam999 »

Hi, I'm Liam, I'm 23 and I live in Hartlepool. I have an 89 T-bar that I bought for £250 to restore. I have yet to really do anything on this except look at the problems. It's being stored ina garage I rent off the council and I and currently saving for a generator and a welder to get started on the work. I Have wanted to resotre cars since I was about 15 and said I would start with a AW11.... so this is where I started.

I also have a Citroen C2 that I have had since new for almost 6 years, I almost sold it because it's been having problems but I'm glad I didn't as I love the car.

I'm also looking to buy a VERY cheap Nissan Micra to convert into a small rally car. I need an extra garage to store the generator in I'll need for the car and I'll need to put a small car in that so I figured a lil rally Micra would be good.

I'm massively short on cash and trying to fix up the AW11 overtime but also on a budget by doing all the work myself. I think it'll take between 6 months and 2 years depending on the weather and what problems I come across as I delve deeper into it.

I would love help/tips/advice anything anyone would be willing to offer me. I have posted a fair few thread and pretty much all asking for help as I'm totally new to this.

Thanks

Liam

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”