[Mk2] [NA] Compression test completed and all correct, still problems

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Awilkinson75

[Mk2] [NA] Compression test completed and all correct, still problems

Post by Awilkinson75 »

A few weeks ago, the coolant system overheated and steam poured out of the cap and tank of the collant system. The temp went through the roof on the gauge. I bled the system about a month ago after it had done this the first time. The compression test was fine which means the engine is sound and that no liquid is leaking in to the engine. The most noticable thing is water coming out of the exhaust but not sure if this is related or not. The only other thing that I havnt changed is the Radiator which does look poor visually, would this be the reason for the overheating? All help appreicated, many thanks, Andy
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Compression test completed and all correct, still problems

Post by ashley »

Could be a cracked block? Hope not though mate :pale:
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Sound like the head gasket. Get the garage to do a 'sniffer test' to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. The water out of the exhaust is coolant. The compression test should have identified this but maybe it wasn't done properly?
Awilkinson75

Post by Awilkinson75 »

i was hopeing it wasnt coolant coming out as it is still doing it even though there is not even any collant in the system at the moment due to the overheating, also the liquid out of the exhaust is clear like water with no smell or colour. I used the Red forlife for the coolant and would expect that it would come out the red colour as oppose to clear. Will recheck compression test on friday when off work

Return to “Mechanical”