Missfire....??? doin my friggin head in..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

carlos9999

Missfire....??? doin my friggin head in..

Post by carlos9999 »

ok guys... i was driving home from work last night, and half way home i suddenly got a missfire... for the rest of the journey home. ( 5 miles ).
i woke up this morning and still had the missfire but as soon as i set off ( 20 sec ) it was gone.. wierd..!! it was missing on pot 1, anyhow ive checked the plug and cleaned the dizzy out, checked connection on leads and everything seems ok.. plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor arm, all about 18 months old and done about 15k
can anyone shed any light on this as to why it happened, cause now im worried its gonna come back, and im a little worried about traveling long distance now.. ](*,)
Last edited by carlos9999 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobCrezz

Re: Missfire....??? doin my friggin head in..

Post by RobCrezz »

Did it happen on boost or just cruising?
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

RobCrezz wrote:Did it happen on boost or just cruising?

it was a constant missfire dude..! didnt even try to boost it.
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

anyone else had this prob..? it happened again tonight missfire on pot 1.
this happened 4 weeks ago and by the morning it sorted itself out.
how long does a dizzy last..??
Harold

Post by Harold »

I think most people replace dizzy cap and rotor arm every year, you could try that, have a good look at your spark plugs and ht leads also.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

^^^ would say exsacly the same
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

anyone know how much a dizzy and rotor arm are from toyota
i know camskill do both for £33 delivered, but want to get it tomorrow..
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

sorry dude i dont but i wouldnt imagen they would be much more than cam skills prices tho :thumleft:
MR2_Turbo

Post by MR2_Turbo »

I paid approx £95 for a dizzy & rotor from MR T IIRC.
Davezilla

Post by Davezilla »

I had this problem the other week, replaced the HT leads and all was sorted, it was due to poor quality leads, causing it to arc and eventually burnt the sparkplug to extent it came out in peices lol
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

guess what... ! i started the car this morning and everything was fine. so its done exactly the same thing as 4 weeks ago... ](*,) im not convinced that its got anything to do with leads, plugs, dizzy because it would be doing it more often. and surely with cleaning everything and playing around with the leads you would think you would find something..!!! why does it sort itself out in the morning...???? :evil:
could it be ecu related or somthing like that... maybe the ecu resets itself over night.. ?? clutching at straws ere..!!
obviously its hard to diagnose cause it aint doing it now.

btw.. i got a price for dizzy today from mr t £65 dizzy and £13 rotor. i am in the trade so there is probably a bit of discount of that too. anyway as its not urgent now i'll be gettin one from camskill i think £33 all in.
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Davezilla wrote:I had this problem the other week, replaced the HT leads and all was sorted, it was due to poor quality leads, causing it to arc and eventually burnt the sparkplug to extent it came out in peices lol

did you have the same problem as me... :-k i dont think so cause my plugs arnt burnt, did it just happen once and then fine for weeks after..??
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

right this maybe a long shot buddy but its worht a try have you checked your coil pack i have hurd of one problem from what i can remeber, were the coil pack had a hair line crack in it when the engine got hotter the crack exspanded letting the pack some how ark out, as said this is a long shot but worth a look :thumleft:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

GTS GAV wrote:right this maybe a long shot buddy but its worht a try have you checked your coil pack i have hurd of one problem from what i can remeber, were the coil pack had a hair line crack in it when the engine got hotter the crack exspanded letting the pack some how ark out, as said this is a long shot but worth a look :thumleft:

hi m8.. i hear what your sayin, but if there was a problem with the coil surely it would do this everytime the car gets hot.. :-k
its just weird cause the car has been fine for 4 weeks until last night and now the car is fine again.. until the next time.. ](*,)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

On the occassions it's been miss firing, has it been raining just before this?

When did you last change your plugs btw?
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Leon. wrote:On the occassions it's been miss firing, has it been raining just before this?

When did you last change your plugs btw?

no rain m8, not for a few days. the plugs have done about 10k, but it was only pot 1 and i checked that plug and it looks nice and clean, (golden brown)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Either way, I think you'll be surprised how much better it will run on new plugs. 10k on a tubby is a long time in my experience.
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Leon. wrote:Either way, I think you'll be surprised how much better it will run on new plugs. 10k on a tubby is a long time in my experience.

fair enough bud... your probably right..they are the iridium ones too.. not cheap. i have a new dizzy and rotor on its way too.
just not convinced that they are faulty cause it runs fine most of the time, but it cant do any harm right..!!

gonna join the aa/rac i think. i dont trust the car now.. :evil: especially for long journeys
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Well in theory they should be ok if iridium but I'd want to clean them every 5k miles ideally - although I prefer to put new ones on. I change mine annually regardless of miles, and have platinum ones. I normally only do 4-5k miles a year and the difference even then is huge. Copper ones changed every 5k miles is not a bad way to go...

If you're getting a new dizzy cap, might as well get a new dizzy cap gasket too (unless you have already) to rule condensation out.

Hesitation issues are not always straightforward, or rational, so definitely worth sorting the service items as first port of call, if nothings looks out of place :thumleft:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Leon. wrote:Well in theory they should be ok if iridium but I'd want to clean them every 5k miles ideally - although I prefer to put new ones on. I change mine annually regardless of miles, and have platinum ones. I normally only do 4-5k miles a year and the difference even then is huge. Copper ones changed every 5k miles is not a bad way to go...

If you're getting a new dizzy cap, might as well get a new dizzy cap gasket too (unless you have already) to rule condensation out.

Hesitation issues are not always straightforward, or rational, so definitely worth sorting the service items as first port of call, if nothings looks out of place :thumleft:

all good points there leon.. cheers bud. probably go for the copper plugs and change em every 5k
ive also heard resetting the ecu can have good performance gains too.. :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”