MK2 REV 3 Front end smash query ????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nickstapleton

MK2 REV 3 Front end smash query ????

Post by Nickstapleton »

Hi all just thought I would get some feelers out on this one as my friend just had a quote on a repair but I dont think its worth doing.

Ok well as heading suggests a friend of mine had a bit of a bang with his MR the other day, well I say a bit it was quite a dink.

The back end came out and subsequently lost control sending him up an embankment then back down into a very large three pillar road sign, causing the front end to be quite badly damaged by one of the said poles.

Now the extent of the damage from the naked eye is as follows, the front bumper is well and truly fubard as he hit one of the poles/pillars dead center, thus pushing the front slam pannel inward towards the car bending it around 35-45° far enough to crack the radiator thus pushing the fan back to press against the Frunk front inner skin, this also has a small indentation where the fan motor has hit, I have also noticed that the bottom Radiator support beam has broken away from its welds from the impact, as for the main chassis struts that run from the rear to the front of the car I cant tell if they have been bent inwards as a result of the slam panel being pushed back into the car, the bonnet has been bent back slightly as well.

I know its only a brief description and no pics as yet.... will try and get some soon, but I would like to find out if anyone else has had the same and whether its worth having the car repaired and also is there anything else that should be taken into consideration ie suspension etc.

Oh and the impact was around 40mph.

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks peeps
Peter C

Re: MK2 REV 3 Front end smash query ????

Post by Peter C »

How do the panel gaps look? Specifically, between the bonnet and front wings and the front wings and doors?
Nickstapleton

Re: MK2 REV 3 Front end smash query ????

Post by Nickstapleton »

The gaps between the wing and Bonnet seem to be slightly closer at the front, but its little difficult to tell exactly, as for the door and wing cant see any differance at all.

Still chasing pics

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”