WTF happened??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobCrezz

WTF happened??

Post by RobCrezz »

Took the car out for a little drive over the weekend as it hadnt been used for a week or so. Once warmed up I started giving it some boost and it drove fine, good power etc. On my way back I turned around and gave it full boost in 1st 2nd and 3rd then it kind of did a small misfire then there was smoke coming out everywhere!

Pulled over and opened the engine bay and oil had pi$$ed out all over the engine cover, all over the rocker cover and on the exhaust manifold and turbo! Was still running fine though, so once the oil had burned off I drove it back. Had a good look and couldnt see where the oil was coming from, except there being quite a lot around the breather on the rocker cover (but it was on tight, no idea how it could have come out there). The oil under the rocker isn't pressurized though is it??

Also we noticed some had started dripping on to the ground underneath it:mad:

I have dropped it off to a mates garage today so he can get it on the ramp and have a good look.

Any ideas what could have happened??

Its like pressure had built up and it just sprayed! I made sure there was plenty of oil in there and took it up the road again, gave it some boost and came back for another look and still can see where its coming from...
ashley

Re: WTF happened??

Post by ashley »

Has your dipstick lifted at all?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Sounds like your crankcase got pressurised. Hope not though because that doesn't bode well...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

toxo wrote:Sounds like your crankcase got pressurised. Hope not though because that doesn't bode well...

What could have caused that?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

RobCrezz wrote:
toxo wrote:Sounds like your crankcase got pressurised. Hope not though because that doesn't bode well...

Piston rings.

When they go they allow air to leak past the combustion chamber into the crank case and on turbo engines the ~1BAR of pressure you have from your turbo forces all the oil out through the PCV system at quite a rate.

Like I said, hope it's not that :pray:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

toxo wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

Piston rings.

When they go they allow air to leak past the combustion chamber into the crank case and on turbo engines the ~1BAR of pressure you have from your turbo forces all the oil out through the PCV system at quite a rate.

Like I said, hope it's not that :pray:

Ah, This did happen on boost too, so you could be right!

Maybe I should start pricing up some forged bits... Or just break it for parts :(
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Maybe you should take it to a garage and get it checked out before jumping to any conclusions :)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

toxo wrote:Maybe you should take it to a garage and get it checked out before jumping to any conclusions :)

Its at a garage now, not heard anything yet.
GDWMR2

Post by GDWMR2 »

Yep, a compression check should be the first step :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

RobCrezz wrote:
toxo wrote:Maybe you should take it to a garage and get it checked out before jumping to any conclusions :)

Ah yes, sorry hadn't seen that bit. Fingers crossed.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

toxo wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

Ah yes, sorry hadn't seen that bit. Fingers crossed.

Yeah its gutting, was just about to buy new coilovers and other bits to get it ready to track some more this year. :(

Fingers crossed!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

similar to what happened to my NA on 2 engines... a load of smoke, oil everwhere... I had toased the pistons, cracked the ringlands and melted the tops #-o

loads of oil pouring out of the breather pipe from the pressure
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Dale_V wrote:similar to what happened to my NA on 2 engines... a load of smoke, oil everwhere... I had toased the pistons, cracked the ringlands and melted the tops #-o

Did yours continue to run ok? Still drivable?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

RobCrezz wrote:
Dale_V wrote:similar to what happened to my NA on 2 engines... a load of smoke, oil everwhere... I had toased the pistons, cracked the ringlands and melted the tops #-o

yeah it was still drivable... infact on the 2nd engine which it happened to, I knew I had blown the engine but drove it home fine, pulling on the drive it idled funny and I knew it was terminal, checked and oil was coming out of the breather... I didnt drive it again after this and just pulled the engine out
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Dale_V wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

yeah it was still drivable... infact on the 2nd engine which it happened to, I knew I had blown the engine but drove it home fine, pulling on the drive it idled funny and I knew it was terminal, checked and oil was coming out of the breather... I didnt drive it again after this and just pulled the engine out

Uh oh, that sounds very similar :(
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Any news yet? Got compression test results?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

toxo wrote:Any news yet? Got compression test results?

My mate said compression was fine across all cylinders and he had had it running, and cant find where the oil has come out of. He took it out for a spin, gave it some boost, still no oil and performing fine...

Stupid car wants to make up its mind. Either way its going to be sold with the potential problem. Have explained more on the engine rebuild thread.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”