R888's for road use?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sam1176uk

R888's for road use?

Post by sam1176uk »

Yes or no?
Does anyone use these for daily use, i know they're probably not the best in the wet but i usually take it easy in the wet anyway, surely they can't be that bad??
sticks

Re: R888's for road use?

Post by sticks »

i had em before and they were good even in the wet.the car would aquaplane very bad in puddles alright tho.the level of grip in the dry was just amazing.
ashley

Post by ashley »

As above- fantastic in the dry, terrible in standing water, mud, leaves, etc :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I bought a set for use at trackdays but have used them on the road a little. Even in the wet (only a few days use) I found they had a lot more grip than Falken 452s. I never experienced aquaplaning with them but would expect it to happen quite a lot looking at the tread pattern.
Overall I’d say there’s no problem with them but remember they’re expensive so it just depends how much you’ll really get to “use” them on the road.
Personally I think 452s are better overall value for road use…

Wingers
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

Surely it will only aquaplane if you're tanking it in the wet? Don't usually go daft in the wet anyway..
travisfububarker

Post by travisfububarker »

Hi,

I've had my 888's on all winter (snow included!) no problems at all :) As mentioned just watch out for standing water

Jonny
michael

Post by michael »

Worth a read of this just in case:

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/tirestorage.pdf

in a nutshell:

The rubber compounds used in these tires have unique properties that, when compared to other tires, can cause them to lose some of their flexibility when stored and operated at sub-freezing temperatures. This loss in flexibility can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire.

TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCES OFTHIS HAPPENING, CONSUMERS AND INSTALLERS ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS DURING SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS:

1. Do not operate the car with these tires, as the tires may suddenly fail.
2. Always store these tires indoors at temperatures above 32°F (0°C).
3. Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperaturecontrolled environment
of 68°F (20°C) or warmer.
4. Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of nonuse
or storage.
5. Do not move a car that is in storage with these tires, as the tires may crack.

This could only apply to American R888s of course, ours might wear hats.
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

That's interesting reading, not good for the recent weather conditions then!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I use r888's only now. No problems in the wet but like you said mate I take it easy in the wet as well.

I'm just addicted to the amount of grip they give!!!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

michael wrote:This could only apply to American R888s of course, ours might wear hats.

The same warning notice is stuck to every R888 tyre from the factory now, so it definitely applies in the UK. FWIW, I'd have no problem using R888s on the road as my daily drivers, but as others have said the key is to treat them with respect and drive in an appropriate manner for the road conditions.
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

I love them on the road! They're noisy in use, and when you're using them in cold conditions you really have to work them to get any heat in so they grip- when they're cold they're rubbish!

Recently i tried them in the snow and it was hopeless! I've got 255/40/17 on the back and I couldnt get out of the GFs road, there is the smallest of inclines onto the main road and there was no way it was going up there!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”