[Mk2] [NA] 3SGE Starter Motor Removal

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BoJohannsen

[Mk2] [NA] 3SGE Starter Motor Removal

Post by BoJohannsen »

Hi,

Wondering if I am missing something with regard to removing a starter motor? Or is there some hint or tip which I need?

I've undid the two main bolts which go through the flange on the starter motor into the gearbox housing. Is there another bolt or fixing somewhere I am missing?

The starer motor does not seem to want to come out, I've given it a few gentle taps with a rubber mallet and it rocks from side to side a bit but no amount of pulling, tapping or wiggling seems to make it free and removable?

Any info or tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.
nicholasmitchellmr2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 3SGE Starter Motor Removal

Post by nicholasmitchellmr2 »

there's two big bolts, a main power lead and a plug connector over the back of the starter. best check you have un done the correct bolts, give it a wiggle and it should come out!!
cantfindausername

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 3SGE Starter Motor Removal

Post by cantfindausername »

They can be stubborn as you like to get them out. I just had a rebuild done to a gearbox that I got second hand and the start was lodged in it. It took heating, beating, penetrating oil, over night soaks, more beatings, more heating and eventually came out.

Can either come out nice and easy or pretty much not at all. Check you've got the right bolts out and try to lever it a little. You shouldn't have any where near the problems I had above. It was suggested to me by the gearbox guy that there had been an engine fire to cause it to bind like that. :shock:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Mechanical”