Running 95ron on n/a import

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Running 95ron on n/a import

Post by ryan »

Is it possible/advisable? With petrol costs ever rising, i'm trying to work out whether my mate is better off with a uk or jap import n/a. What are the issues surrounding using 95 ron on a car intended to run on 100ron?
Thanks!
Ryan
ANT

Re: Running 95ron on n/a import

Post by ANT »

optimax whenever possible in mine, just seems to respond so much better

drives like a junkie getting a fix when i put it it after using 95 :D
terminater2_uk

Post by terminater2_uk »

95's fine with an N/A
Matt

Post by Matt »

I stopped running mine on Optimax about a year ago and just put an additive into the petrol about every 3000 miles. When I put the additive in I do notice a difference, like you do with the Optimax. However if I wanted it any faster I would but a turbo!! :D
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

oh dear... mine sounded line a dielsel for onths until i ran on optimax.

its better to run on super unleaded then...
g14nnh

Post by g14nnh »

i was under the impression that uk specs would be best suited to normal 95ron (which is what i use in my uk n/a) whereas most imports (japs used to running on 100ron) would best be suited to optimax =98ron,

every 6/8 weeks i put a tank of optimax in there to cleanse and clean it ever so slightly... anybody along with this method or am i crazy and need to be put right?

any opinions??
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

g14nnh wrote:i was under the impression that uk specs would be best suited to normal 95ron (which is what i use in my uk n/a) whereas most imports (japs used to running on 100ron) would best be suited to optimax =98ron,

every 6/8 weeks i put a tank of optimax in there to cleanse and clean it ever so slightly... anybody along with this method or am i crazy and need to be put right?

any opinions??

Exactly the same here dude.
The only difference Optimax makes is to my wallet :cry:
But once in a while I do it for the (apparently) cleansing attributes.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

So is the collective wisdom that i should be using 95ron or 97 superunleaded in my G-Ltd?
terminater2_uk

Post by terminater2_uk »

95 its cheaper and makes bu88er all difference
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Rev2_mike wrote:So is the collective wisdom that i should be using 95ron or 97 superunleaded in my G-Ltd?

I run 95 on my NA, but that's not because it's an NA, it's because it's a UK car mapped for 95 fuel.
It's up to you what you run your G-Limited on, if it's fine on 95 then stick with that, just bare in mind that it's mapped for 100ron fuel.
g14nnh

Post by g14nnh »

uk spec = 95ron
import = 98ron

job done :D
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

JohnnyC wrote:
Rev2_mike wrote:So is the collective wisdom that i should be using 95ron or 97 superunleaded in my G-Ltd?

I run 95 on my NA, but that's not because it's an NA, it's because it's a UK car mapped for 95 fuel.
It's up to you what you run your G-Limited on, if it's fine on 95 then stick with that, just bare in mind that it's mapped for 100ron fuel.

I guess so - i was running 95 for a while but the car seemed lumpy and unhappy - much happier on 97 so i guess ive answered my own question there - just wondered if there's any damage you can do to the car running it on 95 when its mapped for 100?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rev2_mike wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

I guess so - i was running 95 for a while but the car seemed lumpy and unhappy - much happier on 97 so i guess ive answered my own question there - just wondered if there's any damage you can do to the car running it on 95 when its mapped for 100?

Just do the timing with 95ron in, you'll likely have to retard it a few degrees.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Lauren wrote:
Rev2_mike wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Just do the timing with 95ron in, you'll likely have to retard it a few degrees.

How easy is that lauren? If i take it to someone to do is it fairly straight forward and is it worth doing?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”