[Mk2] [Turbo] My car.. Body styling options.. need some opinions pleassse :D

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] My car.. Body styling options.. need some opinions pleassse :D

Post by RyanRs »

I have a set of genuine border skirts at home and i was intending on fitting them along with some Fender flares; but now i am moving away from the wide fender idea as i dont think ill have the time nor money to complete the project if i start it as i intend to be on a full time training course in two years time.

I still need a full respray tho to get rid of all the silly little scratches etc from the car sitting in the garage for the past 3 years while i was building the engine for it. What i wonder now tho is, Do i fit the border skirts to complement my genuine front bumper? or do i stick with the veilside skirts that are already on there?

Advantages of keeping the veilside skirts is that they help airflow into the side intakes, which feed my BMIC, they work with my veilside rear bumper (which is staying), they look quite good and they are not as low as the border skirts.

Border skirt advantages - There genuine, and match the front bumper well.

Heres some pics of it, as it is now...

ImageImage

Now if i fit the border skirts then ill have to fit some oem vents and make a scoop to increase the airflow for the BMIC.

Other than this, should i just try and persist and go with my original plan with the wide fenders / border sides? - Obv the problem with this is its hard work getting the fenders on and ill have to get new wheels -i have my heart set on work miester 2-pc rims, but thats another £2k to spend :(

I have also been considering the Bomex drift wing inplace of the veilside one.

All opinions are muchio appreciated , Thanks :thumleft:
ancient mariner

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My car.. Body styling options.. need some opinions pleassse :D

Post by ancient mariner »

hi mate,not just saying this because,i would like to buy your border's :roll: .
but i think the combination you have looks stunning :clap: .
the lines seem to flow really well.
i have put up a post asking for photo's of kitted smg's,as i am looking for the inspiration to kit mine.
your car has convinced me to kit mine.paul.
nikaiyo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My car.. Body styling options.. need some opinions pleassse :D

Post by nikaiyo »

Looks great as it is mate
Not sure how the border skirts would look with the VS rear bumper :-k
bill

Post by bill »

very nice
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Looks good but i think the Border sides will suit it better.It will make it look meaner and give it a better stance but thats only my 2p :thumleft:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

BMIC? Boot mounted ?

If so, then how are the vents helping? You cut out the firewall behind the engine?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ren0W wrote:BMIC? Boot mounted ?

If so, then how are the vents helping? You cut out the firewall behind the engine?

I believe that if you pull out the rubber bits that fit inbetween the side intakes and the engine bay it can direct air straight into the boot, sort of over the rear arches.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

go border mate look way better you should know this from changing your front bumper :thumleft: as for more air flow just do as i done border side vent extensions :thumleft:
ImageImage
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Cheers for the comments guys, Paul - Im honoured! 8) lol

Its a really hard decision to make with these border skirts. I mean, it looks nice as it is and its functional. I am worried that if i fit the border skirts, being as there a good inch lower to the floor, i am going to have constant problems with grounding out. I only just about get away with it now. I defo dont want to raise the car any more than it is.

Nick, yes the front bumper is a masssssive improvement over the veilside, but thats mainly because the veilside is about a foot too long!! The veilside skirts and rear bumper are pretty good imo.

The main dilemma is... If i sell the border skirts and fender flares, add that to my blitz turbo that will be up for sale and ill have made 2/3 of the cash toward my GT35r kit. -the final part of my engine build!! But if i do sell the border skirts, I know ill never be able to get a genuine set again! :| :pale:

I really dont know what to do..

I may paint one skirt and fit it, see how it comes out. Meh , decisions decisions!!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Looks really good as it is! I wouldnt change it to be honest!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

+1 veilisde front bumper gone
-1 veilside sideskirts still there...

i dont mind so much the veilside rear bumper, but the sides dont quite "match" with the border front (which looks ace!)

border/toms/greddy sides

and maybe a change in spoiler
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

I think the car looks good as it is ,but i would change the rear spoiler for the Drift as you mentioned
I think the border skirts are too square ,and boxy looking for the overall shape of the car :-k
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Phoenix Power Side Skirts if you can get hold of any :thumleft: :thumleft:

Oh and how much for the rear spoiler if your selling it?
ggrice

Post by ggrice »

Looks pretty good as it is TBH. Border bumper is the dogs imo, however it's just that little bit long for steep driveways...

I'd leave it how it is mate and put the dosh in to a different toy.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Ryan, get some better pics up that show the lines of the car.

I agree with a lot of the comments here, keep it as it is. Believe me, when you've got your 35R on, you've wont give a xxxx what it looks like cos it'll be going too fast for people to see :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Chris

Post by Chris »

Will look like mine just grey really...

jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

or you could get some toms skirts and put the sard vent winglets on the skirts and blend them in, then you can keep the border front, get some nicer skirts without losing some airflow
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

i'm running genuine border skirts, and havent had any grounding out issues. They fill out the stock skinny lookin sill area perfectly IMO

Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

that looks stunning as it is mate. i dont usually like bodykits but thats :thumleft:

rob
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well ill drag the car out at the weekend and get some side shots.. Gah means ill have to clean it. ](*,) lol

I really like ants way of thinking with this one....

How much would a genuine set of border skirts , in 'left factory condition' be worth to sell ? And would it affect the price much if i was to have one painted , just so i can try it on my car too see how it looks?

Return to “Modifications”