R888s FTW

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

R888s FTW

Post by ashley »

Just got back from another weekend at Anglesey circuit. We (me and wifey) went up friday night and stayed in a B&B 1.5 miles from the track with my brother and a couple friends.

We were treated to an overcast morning. The track was wet, but not soaking and the rain had stopped falling. Lots of exotic machinary there this time including an F40, two new Skyline GTRs, lots of Evos including an Evo 10, an awesome Ultima with a small block chevy (6.3 litre) v8, and loads of others (including several Mk 1s, a couple of tubbys and a few mk 3s).

I ran on T1-R's for the morning session and had a good few tail out moments on the damp track, coming down the hill after Peel was one of the wettest parts of the track and very 'interesting'! It was pretty similar to my last outing but with a bit more confidence this time, and starting to go a bit faster- hence a few 'moments' but no outright spins :eye:

Come lunchtime the track was drying rapidly, and although still overcast there was no rain in the air so on went the R888s for the afternoon....

OMFG :shock:

Why didnt I use these before- these tyres are the dog's danglies...it was totally different car to the sweet handling NA I've been driving for almost a year now- the difference was astonishing. My entry speeds immediatley jumped up, and the car felt awesomely controllable round the bends- so so easy to feel the grip and control, it soon felt like I was almost 'sliding' round every corner and starting to control the car just using slight changes of the throttle.

Now I am no race car driver, the last Anglesey track day saw me driving sssllloooowwwly...but wow- I finally feel like I'm starting to understand the handling of the 2 and it is amazing fun!

R888's :lover: ....probably the modification that has made the biggest difference to my 2, I cannot recommend them enough for track use :thumleft: :thumleft:

As for driving on wet B roads in them, well...yeah- I wont be doing that again :shock:

Turbos are immense fun, but I am astounded at how much fun a cheap NA, stripped out with decent suspension, brakes and a rollcage can be: I remember going round the hairpin sideways'ish with my wheels screaming, onto the straight and glancing across at my passenger who mirrored the biggest grin I've ever had on my face :lol: :lol:

I cannot wait to get back on the track to carry on the learning and grinning- this is what driving is all about for me :thumleft:
cantfindausername

Re: R888s FTW

Post by cantfindausername »

Sounds like you had a good day!! Would love to have a stripped out N/A just for track slagging. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
chr15_84t3

Post by chr15_84t3 »

were you down here with a black celica? think i was chatting to you in the paddock at lunchtime. you looked like you were going well around the track :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

cantfindausername wrote:Sounds like you had a good day!! Would love to have a stripped out N/A just for track slagging. :thumleft:

One of the best days I've ever had on four wheels- I'm still grinning like a nutter now :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

chr15_84t3 wrote:were you down here with a black celica? think i was chatting to you in the paddock at lunchtime. you looked like you were going well around the track :thumleft:

Yeah- my brother brought his celica along for the day too. I had a ride in it- it's amazing how differently they go round the track: proper slinging it into corners then using lift off oversteer to fly round: who says you need rwd to go sideways! At one point I followed him round rocket and he had his car on three wheels- looked like fun 8)

Was yours the tubby that wasn't on the track for the day or am I gettting mixed up?
chr15_84t3

Post by chr15_84t3 »

yeah that was was me, the white one parked near yours, good to meet you :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah was good to chat to you too mate, I didn't get a chance to look at your car properly but sounded like a decent spec, hope to see it out on the track sometime :thumleft: :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

silly question, werth fitting r888s to a set of 18s?????
:oops: :oops: :oops:

i currently have advan neova's at the back and there awsome for road use.
however they will wear out eventually and those make tyres arnt available over here in those sizes....(255/35/18)...

so werth getting some r888s?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Not sure- I have literally only tried the R888's in stock sizes.

I will say however that I would absolutely not have them on my daily driver: they were a nightmare on the wet drive up friday night, really not an enjoyable experience! Maybe as a summer tyre when you have some chance of getting them up to temperature, but no way over winter with water, mud and leaves on the road 8-[
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

understandable

theres plenty of life left in my tyres anyway, just thought id ask.
ashley

Post by ashley »

If you're gonna take it the track however, then R888's have gotta be the way to go....any plans to get on the track Jim? I'm hoping to have the confidence to get my tubby out on a track come next summer :twisted:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not with a screamer i cant... :( :(
maybe airfield days, but more likely drag strip...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- tbh I'm considering plumbing my screamer into the exhaust so that I can see some trackday action. I would miss the noise though...tough call :-k
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

jimGTS wrote:not with a screamer i cant... :( :(

you say that, ill let you know how i get on a brands hatch with 2 screamers
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

lockys96 wrote:

Open to atmos screamers??
Let me know fella as my local circuit would be brands!
ashley

Post by ashley »

lockys96 wrote:

Spill the beanz then, or is this a secret...?!
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

no secret, twin tial 44mm open wastegates, for some reason it sounds much lower that a single one on a hks wastegate.

its a 105db though, i will pass that easy with the static, just see how driveby goes
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Whats your setup in terms of manifold/turbo/exhaust etc?

I'm on ramhorn stainless manifold, GT35R, Dep2pro and I'm hitting 109.9db on the Brands static test. However, that was with a guessed 5250rpm.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:silly question, werth fitting r888s to a set of 18s?????
:oops: :oops: :oops:

i currently have advan neova's at the back and there awsome for road use.
however they will wear out eventually and those make tyres arnt available over here in those sizes....(255/35/18)...

so werth getting some r888s?

Don't worry Jim, by the time your Advans are worn out, Yoko will have released them in the UK. I spoke to them a few weeks back as I want to get AD08s to replace my AD07s.

They are currently aiming to have them on the market in February :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sweet! :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”