Help....Poorly MR2 Turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ayshe

Help....Poorly MR2 Turbo

Post by Ayshe »

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here much due to changing jobs the last few weeks, but I need some help!

I have a MK2 Rev2 Turbo import, and the clutch has started slipping quite badly! The car is running 260bhp so I cant put a standard clutch in it, at the moment it currently has a paddle clutch and fidanza flywhee; all supplied by Fensport, these are 4 years old now and i'm not too sure whether Fensport still stock them?

As i'm so busy at the moment I really dont have time to be trawling through different suppliers and whatnot...does any body have any advice for me or know of any decent parts for sale?

Also how long does it roughly take to change the clutch and is there an inspection plate as I can't seem to find one?!!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Help....Poorly MR2 Turbo

Post by toxo »

260 at the wheels or fly? 260 @ fly should be fine on a standard clutch... I'm running 258 @ fly on mine with stock clutch & recently a fidanza flywheel and it's been fine for ages.

Having never had to replace the clutch I doubt I'm much more use though :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Standard clutch will be fine at that power. If you are planning to get more power then uprate it now, so you dont have to have pay the labour twise.

The Exedys are not much different in price to the standard, and they are good. I had one on my 200sx and the feel and weight was much nicer than stock.
mks2005

Post by mks2005 »

can you do the clutch with the engine in place on these? for soem reason in the back of my mind i remember it being an engine out job...
sure someone will come alnog and let you know.
1993 MR2 Turbo REV2
http://www.dragoncomputing.co.uk for all your computer needs.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Engine doesn't come out, when I had my gearbox off for repairs it was gbox only.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

The engine hangs on 1 of 4 engine mounts when you do the clutch, so its as close to out as its gonna get without actually being "out"

It is a pain in the ar$e job. I recently did this and conceeded that it is definately a 2 man job to get the box back on, purely because there are too many axis to align with 1 pair of eyes.

Few pics here on how to attack: http://www.car13.net/cgi-bin/images.cgi ... ge3&page=1

And also: http://www.car13.net/cgi-bin/images.cgi ... own&page=1

As stated above, if staying at current power, stay stock or exedy. If plans are to later upgrade in a serious manner, get a meatier clutch.

If you've got cover or indoor space then you could turn the job round in a long day, day and a half max. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Ayshe

Post by Ayshe »

Thanks guys, standard clutch being put in anytime now, we have started taking her apart :(
cantfindausername

that :( will turn to :) then :D when she's all back together again don't you worry. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Blacklightning66

Post by Blacklightning66 »

why dont you do the easy thing for now and just turn the boost down to a lower level (7 psi) that should stop slippage for now.

Or you can do a old trick and pour a few cans of full fat coke into clutch/flywheel housing and letting it dry (nice and sticky got me home from a drag races at Santa pod)
Ayshe

Post by Ayshe »

Just a quick question...If I have a rev3 box with LSD does that mean I would need a rev3 clutch??
cantfindausername

There shouldn't be any difference between the turbo clutches. Think the only difference was on the N/A box where it had a smaller input shaft which means the clutch friction plates would need to be different.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

you still selling up Ayshe?
Got Boost?!
Ayshe

Post by Ayshe »

Yep, going to miss her so much :( Just cant bear to put the miles on her with work tho!! Buy her :lol:
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

Oh i dont need another one!!! Skirts look good though :thumleft:

Sadly i think mine will end up for sale as well, i might take on an Impreza for winter
Got Boost?!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”