Need some advice concerning the PS3

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sw20GTS

Need some advice concerning the PS3

Post by sw20GTS »

Hi all,

I have a PS3 that I bought almost a year ago. I think its the 60GB version or w/e version that has the lowest HD space. I haven't really touched it much so its just sitting there collecting dust. Mostly use it to watch Blu Ray movies but now my PC can do that too.

I have a few games like GTA, GT4 and also a shooting game with the gun an sensor.

Anyway, I am wondering if its worth it to sell the PS3? This is ofc factoring in the postage cost since its pretty heavy. How much I should expect to get inclusive of the games?

Thanks for any advice offered.
H3RB

Re: Need some advice concerning the PS3

Post by H3RB »

probs around £150-£200 now. ive seen the 60gig models go for as little as £140 in shops like game and gamestation
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Well in our game station (oxford) they had 60 gig preowned for £239.99 :shock:

Yet they had the brand new 250 gig slim ps3 for £250 :lol:

So must be a shortage round here :-k
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

my town center is full of second hand ones, there are so many pawn shops and game shops its untrue lol
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Hmm, so it depends on location as well. I would be happy if I could shift it (with the games, the gun+sensor etc) for about 200 quid delivered.

Well, I might go tidy things up a bit and find out more about the specs/games and maybe eBay it.

Unless ofc peeps from this forum is interested :P
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

drop in a bigger hard drive for cheap and sell it as a 120gb or 250 youll get more for it then and only spend out about £40 getting a HD Just dont forget to get the right thickness one :thumleft:
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Tiny wrote:drop in a bigger hard drive for cheap and sell it as a 120gb or 250 youll get more for it then and only spend out about £40 getting a HD Just dont forget to get the right thickness one :thumleft:

Oh didn't know that I could pop in a new drive just like that! Will definitely have a look at it mate thanks! :thumleft:

But don't I need to reinstall all the software etc? Could I just pop in an empty drive?
MartG

Post by MartG »

Just watch a few on ebay to see how much they tend to go for, postage charges etc.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

sw20GTS wrote:
Tiny wrote:drop in a bigger hard drive for cheap and sell it as a 120gb or 250 youll get more for it then and only spend out about £40 getting a HD Just dont forget to get the right thickness one :thumleft:

Oh didn't know that I could pop in a new drive just like that! Will definitely have a look at it mate thanks! :thumleft:

But don't I need to reinstall all the software etc? Could I just pop in an empty drive?

I've seen loads of people say "just change the HD" but not one say how.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

There are programs out there that will backup your existing HD then trasnfer all the data to a new drive. Just google it.

Its not worth selling it really if you watch blu-rays. A cheap blu-ray player will cost you about the same as a used PS3.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

un1eash wrote:There are programs out there that will backup your existing HD then trasnfer all the data to a new drive. Just google it.

Its not worth selling it really if you watch blu-rays. A cheap blu-ray player will cost you about the same as a used PS3.

But it'll be smaller probably and be more of a bluray/dvd player than a computer.
For example, my parents wouldnt have a clue what to do with my PS3 to watch a Bluray disk. But they'd be able to use a designated Bluray player as it'll work like a DVD player.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

un1eash wrote:There are programs out there that will backup your existing HD then trasnfer all the data to a new drive. Just google it.

I did play games but I really don't have the time for it now. I occasionally use it to watch blu ray on the big screen but now I have bought a blu ray drive for my PC and its cheap!

I am a little strapped for cash so I'm looking for stuff around the house that I really don't need and consider selling it. Been bit guilty of accumulating a lot of stuff over the years :P

I have Googled and it seems that the backup only backs up the music, videos and saved games over as the core OS is on the PS3 itself. Can anyone confirm this?

You can get a used 80GB HD for 25 quid. I could put a 250GB one in for around 40 quid. I think that with maybe 1-2 used games and the game with the gun could net around 200 quid hopefully. I alot of those with 5-6 games going around 150-70 bid atm.

This is a good site to check for info about putting a new HD in and backup etc : http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips ... 5-2,00.htm

I will monitor prices and perhaps try eBay when there are few competitions :P
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

matt_mr2t wrote:

But it'll be smaller probably and be more of a bluray/dvd player than a computer.
For example, my parents wouldnt have a clue what to do with my PS3 to watch a Bluray disk. But they'd be able to use a designated Bluray player as it'll work like a DVD player.

Just buy the 'proper' remote - the one that looks like an ordinary dvd controller :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

DannyN wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

Just buy the 'proper' remote - the one that looks like an ordinary dvd controller :thumleft:

I have one. It's not the remote thats the issue. It's having to fire up the PS3, go to video selection, find the BD disk from the saved items and play it.
On a designated bluray player you dont have all that. :thumleft:
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

matt_mr2t wrote:
sw20GTS wrote:

I've seen loads of people say "just change the HD" but not one say how.

I shall be doing mine soon(ish), I'll post some pics when I do it. My brother did his with great ease apparently, he said you literally just swap it over. Obviously if you want to back stuff up it's a little more involved, he used an external hard drive he already had collecting dust. He did say the screws can be a bit stubborn to undo.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

depends on how good your broadband is if your on 25meg fibre optic i wouldnt bother with a back up to change the hardrive follow the instructions in the user manual for the PS3.

heres a good guide PS3 HD upgrade
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Tiny wrote:depends on how good your broadband is if your on 25meg fibre optic i wouldnt bother with a back up to change the hardrive follow the instructions in the user manual for the PS3.

With downloaded games, you're often limited to the number of times you can download it.

I'm not actually sure if it's a 'number of downloads', or a 'number of different PS3's you can download it to' though.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

u can download it as many times as u like but to only 5 consoles to prevent sharing
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

H3RB wrote:u can download it as many times as u like but to only 5 consoles to prevent sharing

I think it's cos they expect the PS3 brand to have a 10 year lifespan.

But the actual PS3 machines don't normally last longer than 2 years :eye: :twisted:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Tiny wrote:depends on how good your broadband is if your on 25meg fibre optic i wouldnt bother with a back up to change the hardrive follow the instructions in the user manual for the PS3.

heres a good guide PS3 HD upgrade

It's not exactly a straight forward opperation. I appreciate with the 360 it's all Microsofts own stuff but you can migrate all the stuff from one HDD to the new one via the console. No screws etc either.

Back to the PS3. I'm assuming your game saves, progress, profile etc is all saved on the HDD? So if I wanted to get a bigger one I would have to go through the bother of backing it up to a 3rd party storage device then transfering it back?
I'm not bothered about the other stuff I have saved which is just demo's, music and video clips, all can be D/L'd or saved again.

Return to “Games Consoles”