AE92 4AGZE

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

razmrtwo

AE92 4AGZE

Post by razmrtwo »

Can it be fitted onto an AW11 using the AE92 wiring loom? What about the gearbox? Is it a straight bolt on?
MartG

Re: AE92 4AGZE

Post by MartG »

Depending exactly which gearbox you have you may have to move the starter to the other side - later gearboxes have a double hump so can have the starter on either side.

The wiring loom can be patched in to the AW11, but does need a bit of work
razmrtwo

Post by razmrtwo »

MartG wrote:Depending exactly which gearbox you have you may have to move the starter to the other side - later gearboxes have a double hump so can have the starter on either side.

The wiring loom can be patched in to the AW11, but does need a bit of work

Can I bolted the NA 4AGE gearbox onto the 4AGZE engine i.e using all the stock drivetrain? Will it withstand the torque produced by the supercharged engine mate?
MartG

Post by MartG »

Yes, the C52 box will handle the torque OK
razmrtwo

Post by razmrtwo »

Now, that has given me some motivation to do the swap in the near future :clap:

What else should I consider before doing the swap?
MartG

Post by MartG »

While the engine is out fit a new cambelt & tensioner, waterpump - much easier than when in the car.

The AE92 didn't have an oil cooler so you need the appropriate bits from your NA engine to connect it up - the sump and oilfilter mount.

It's also useful if you can figure out ahead of time how much of the AE92 loom you need to retain, and how to connect it into the AW11 loom. Wiring diagrams can be found here http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm and here http://opc.mr2oc.com/

You'll need to figure out the intercooling too, as the AE92 cooler sat on top of the engine isn't ideal in the AW11 - I went for a chargecooler so I didn't need to modify the engine lid
chiron

Post by chiron »

I went for chargecooler too using a Rover 75 auto trans cooler as the pre-exchanger
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Yeah I ran my SC Conversion (+Big Pulley) for over 5 years with the stock C52 (And new 'stock' clutch) never had a problem even on the hardest of launches.. until the clutch wore out many years down the line as expected and as normal.
System-G

Post by System-G »

MartG wrote:
The AE92 didn't have an oil cooler so you need the appropriate bits from your NA engine to connect it up - the sump and oilfilter mount.

Or you can run it sans oil cooler.

A replacement engine I recently fitted to my track car had an SC sump on it (i.e no oil cooler outlet/inlet. so I blocked off the feed & returns from the cooler and am running without.

afterall if the SC didn't need it and ran hotter than the N/A, then surely the N/A doesn't need it :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

The oil 'cooler' as fitted to N/A UK cars must be thought of much more in terms of a water/oil heat exchanger - better warm up etc. After all, the Jap climate is, generally speaking, a good deal warmer than our own, and JDM cars didn't have the exchanger system.

Therefore I'd concur not to bother with an oil cooler system unless the car is tracked, in which case go for an aftermarket a2a system.

Jon
System-G

Post by System-G »

Mmmm... my car is tracked heavily - about 4000 track miles a year at the moment and that's excluding driving to and from circuits. 3 days in with no oil cooler and no known problem yet... :thumleft:

I know a few SC's that were/are also tracked heavily (including ours) and none of them have oil coolers. No issues at all :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”