[Mk2] [Turbo] What intank fuel pump are you using?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Horrocks

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What intank fuel pump are you using?

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Would it not be easier to use stock (or Walbro) as a lifter pump supplying a swirl pot with something like Chris' monster (ooh err!) then supplying the engine?
Plus it'd look cool in the boot floor! LOL I wanna do this! =P~
Chris

Post by Chris »

If you have an IC in the boot as large as mine...You have no room for a swirl pot :mrgreen: Plus I like to keep it all simple, a swirl pot means more pipes, another pump, more fuses, wiring etc etc. All more to go wrong. This way it is like stock. 1 pump, same amount of pipework and wiring. :D

See no room!!!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Pah, girl!

Can it not be fitted over on the left in the 'cavity' of the rear arch, just out of view on the left? Opposite to where arial is mounted.

Know what you mean about extra lines & wires, but nothing overly hard in the great scheme of things, bearing in mind you've had to run new wires to this big silly pump?

Plumbing wise, leave in tank feeding fuel filter, then new line to boot to swirl pot instead of fuel rail, then swirl pot to rail? Does return then go back to swirl pot or tank?
Chris

Post by Chris »

You could do all of the above Steve.....But what's the point? Extra weight, more holes in the bulk head and another pump that might fail one day. Yep, I had to run a couple more wires to the pump. About a metre in total. The battery is located right infront of the tank. If you put that lot in the boot, you will need a lot more heavy duty wiring. Plus, ask Jimbob about fuel leaks using a swirl pot set up :whistle:

I think that swirl pots are only needed if you are a track day addict and worry that the swirl pot already in the standard tank is not upto the job if you run low on fuel.

You are right though....They do look cool :thumleft:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Is there a photo detailed how to on fitting a Walbro pump???
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Pleant of places to fit pumps, I have mine in the boot you can see it on the left hand side, people say the A1000 is noisey, but you cant hear it way back there!

I agree with Chris about swirl pots, people think its great, I personally think its a bodge job, I run a intake pickup I built with an external pump and -10 lines, people say overkill but you cant overkill on fuel in my opinion. Nothing worse than running out on the dyno and paying for another session after paying to upgrade it again because it wasnt enough the first time round!

Graeme
Ja99a

Pumps

Post by Ja99a »

I have a walbro in tank and when I was being mapped it was said that I was running lean at 371hub-hp on 800cc injectors

I think this is odd as my injectors never seem to get above 70% duty on my hand controller and think it was more of a boost issue I was having and still have.

Now I want to be able to cover my future needs, do you guys think another intank pump would work, basically tee into the fuel line intank and run two pumps in the tank?

My other thought was that the feed to the pump might be flakey and I was thinking of running a relay from the existing supply and getting it to switch a direct feed from the battery? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Chris wrote:
JJ wrote:Agreed... looks a right beast... I pointed Chris in that direction.. but only have the walbro in mine.. still good enough in mine ! :thumleft:

That's because your not running enough boost :-$ :lol: It is a great pump. Takes some getting in the tank though. :eye:

How did you connect the pump output? They are designed for a banjo fitting but I do not want to use that. The fitting in the end has a non return valve to keep pressure in the flow line, did you remove that and replace with a new fitting?

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yep, that's what I did Bob. I did not want the banjo fitting either. I went to my local hose fitting place with the pump and got a straight through instead. Then got a bulkhead fitting for the top of the tank. Sorted.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Great, that is my plan.
Did you fit a non return valve in the system to replace the removed one from the pump?

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Chris

Post by Chris »

No, theres no need. The flow is so much that even if there was any run back, you would never know. Never had starting issues even when car been stood for weeks. Fuel pressure is instant.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Thanks for that info.
Did you do the same thing with the return, use a bulkhead fitting back down along side the pump?
What size line did you use? I am thinking of -8 for the flow and return.

Bob
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Yeah, My pipework is -8 then -10 from the filter. The return is -6. Having no probs with fuel pressures at that. Very solid.
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Whooops :oops: It's Chris by the way, was just checking a PM for Andy who can't get to the internet. I'll sign out now :lol: :eye:
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
tarmac terrorist

Re: Pumps

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Ja99a wrote:I have a walbro in tank and when I was being mapped it was said that I was running lean at 371hub-hp on 800cc injectors

I think this is odd as my injectors never seem to get above 70% duty on my hand controller and think it was more of a boost issue I was having and still have.

Now I want to be able to cover my future needs, do you guys think another intank pump would work, basically tee into the fuel line intank and run two pumps in the tank?

My other thought was that the feed to the pump might be flakey and I was thinking of running a relay from the existing supply and getting it to switch a direct feed from the battery? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

ive seen 405 whp with a walbro & 800cc & it def wasnt running lean mate :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

J-1 wrote:Is there a photo detailed how to on fitting a Walbro pump???

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Docs/ ... emoval.htm
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
kameleon

Post by kameleon »

im using 2 intank walbros.

[/img]
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Overkill i know, but throw any power you want it and it never runs out of juice :lol:

M5
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Whoops - using a holley low pressure lift pump in-tank to fill the swirl pot after which the A1000 takes over!
M5

Return to “Modifications”