17x9 ET27.. will it fit on the rear?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rahzel

17x9 ET27.. will it fit on the rear?

Post by Rahzel »

Alright guys.

I got the oppertunity to buy a set of rear 17x9 Buddy club p1's to go with my 16" fronts to make double staggered set.

Only problem is the et is 27. Anyone fitted anything with the offset before?
Marf

Re: 17x9 ET27.. will it fit on the rear?

Post by Marf »

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php ;)

I swear this link should be in the IMOC welcome e-mail :lol:
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Cheers mate,

Well according to that it will sit 8mm futher out than flush with a 235/35 tyre on :-(

Thats why i asked if anyone had any experience with this offset? Did the have to pull the arch or did they camber in and roll with a slight stretch on the tyre.
Marf

Post by Marf »

8mm is a huge amount to stick out IMO.

Your bound to run into the tyre or rim of the wheel hitting the arch, not to mention it being an automatic MOT fail.

I run a 9J ET35 with a 255/40/17 tyre which sits bang on flush with the arch, and even with the arches rolled and flared a bit, I still get contact on big dips at speed.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

i think you MIGHT get away with them.

with an arch roll and maybe some camber it will be close.

i have 255s on a 9j et38. thats 11mm difference on the offset but the tread is 20mm narrower, ok that will be split between the 2 sides so the tread would sit back 10mm.
your tread would be +1mm further out compared to my setup, ok the wheel will sit out more but its an mot pass as lond as the tread is under the arch.

my car is pretty low on coilovers, my arches rolled about 30-45 degrees from flush to the rear of the panel, it looks a bit like this \l in a cross section pic, so there is a bit more room to be had if its folded back level.
Marf

Post by Marf »

You'd need more camber than the stock bolts can provide.

I've cambered my wheels in as far as the OE bolts will allow and I still get a bit of rub in the conditions I mentioned above.
steve

Post by steve »

yep they will fit, you'll need to roll the arches though.

they will only be 2mm further out than my 9" et29's, with a 245/40 the tyre is slightly stretched so pulls the tread under the arch.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/str3551/wheels/
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

I'm running a 17 x 9 et30 on the rear, it scrubs on the drivers side only on big dips etc it has a 235 40 17 tyre on it. The wheel sits just over flush an et 27 will sit outboard more than this.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Its too much. Plus for the wrong reasons. Alignment is non negotiable it must be set for the road for the MR 2. Or wear out the tyres with less tyre foot print contact. Are your Buddy Clubs not a set per your photos? They look correct by tyre size plus staggered rims at a glance in your profile.

The effort is better placed with new bush, suspension parts, coil overs, and finally a perfect laser alignment. If the suspension is not new. Just bigger and or wider wheels alone is not the answer. Looks and handling wise. Unless the mentioned tuning work and service replacement parts have been done.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Rahzel wrote:Alright guys.

I got the oppertunity to buy a set of rear 17x9 Buddy club p1's to go with my 16" fronts to make double staggered set.

Only problem is the et is 27. Anyone fitted anything with the offset before?

Hi mate, I ended up buying those 17x9 P1's - potential future experiment methinks, although not for quite some time :lol:

If you are keen to have a double staggered set I'd be happy to do a direct swap for your current rear P1's though if you were interested.

As to your fitment question - if you applied a bit of negative camber using crash bolts and did a full arch roll then you might be able to get them to clear at the back even with a wider tyre given you are stock rev 1 ride height... only one way to find out \:D/
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Hahahaa so it was you who had them then? :thumleft: I'm even more tempted now lol.

I'll PM you and we can have a chat.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

No worries - give me a shout if you're interested :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”