duplex system... pictures?!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Cattwooduk

duplex system... pictures?!

Post by Cattwooduk »

Right, I've spent the last 2 hours tonight and a while on other occasions trying to find any pictures at all of a mk1 with a duplex system on it!
I've tried ploughing through the garage section on here aswell, but half the pictures don't seem to want to load, and I can only find one with a duplex system and it's not very clear.

I've had in mind for a while to get a stainless system, and in the last few weeks my stock system has been blowing, and today it sounds like it's about to fall off so the time has come!

I've booked it into longlife exhausts in Gloucestershire for a custom stainless system. They've quoted £299 for a standard system, or £399 for a duplex system which seems reasonable. All I have to do now is decide which one I want, the problem is I've only ever seen a couple of pictures of mk1s with a duplex system!

Can anyone help at all, any links or pictures people may have of their own cars? would be very grateful! I've got until saturday to decide :D
Ben

Re: duplex system... pictures?!

Post by Ben »

Not entirely clear on what you mean by a 'duplex' system - do you mean twin pipes, one on each side of the car? If so, details of my Elise exhaust are here:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtop ... ilit=elise
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Duplex system? :?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I'm not a fan of the duplex system on the mk1. I just dont think it goes with the 80's styling.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

un1eash wrote:I'm not a fan of the duplex system on the mk1. I just dont think it goes with the 80's styling.

What is it? 2 pipes coming out either side? :pale:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It just means an exhaust with a twin exit, like our Swift Sport....

dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Any use to you?

Cattwooduk

Post by Cattwooduk »

yeah thats a nice example thanks!
I'm still undecided at the moment, so I'm going to speak to the guys at longlife when go over tomorow to drop the car off. I've had a look at the back under the bumper and noticed there is a cut out where the pipe exits, so I'm interested to know how they'd do a duplex fit. Maybe bring the pipes out just below the grill, or just notch a bit out of the other side to match.
Decisions decisions!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This is my bad boy

Cattwooduk

Post by Cattwooduk »

Well I dropped my car off today at longlife, in the end I decided to go for a standard setup. To fit the duplex system they would need to cut out part of the grill and paint over it, and really I want to change as little as possible on the car, or at least nothing which can't be put back again easily.
Also I read a bit into it, and it seems that having a pipe exit on each side of the box creates turbulance in the air flow and so there is a tiny bit less performance than a regular setup.
I went with a 'mild sport' note, as they recon that would be about equal to a mongoose system. Looking forward to picking it up after work on monday now, just have to put up with driving this vectra courtesy car for a few days!!
Will post a picture next week when I get it back and have given it a good wash, it's a bit mucky at the moment from some country driving :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The exhaust pictured on my car there snapped at the flexi pipe a few weeks ago and ive been using a spare mongoose system. There is a difference in flow between the powerflow and mongoose. I do like the mongoose as it gives me better acceleration but miss the burble of the powerflow :(
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

title should read wheelbarrow system. :twisted: :whistle:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”