Project MK1.5

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shadeh

Project MK1.5

Post by Shadeh »

Hi guys, I have a rev2 tubby engine + all extras needed for a swap, I was going to put this in my mk2 but I have decided to go down the v6 route for that! Me and my mate should be doing this swap and it will hopefully make a nice track car. First of all I have a few questions incase anyone knows about the engine mounts.. do I have to get some made and welded or is it a case of modifying them, gonna start dropping the 4age tonight, opinions welcome!

The car:

The engine, in back of a civic!

128MB

Re: Project MK1.5

Post by 128MB »

cool, never seen a rear engined civic 8)
MartG

Post by MartG »

IIRC there are templates for the engine mounts on twobrutal.com
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Progress tonight sorry for blurryness

crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

some people may see you as the :evil: as that looks like one tidy mk1 to turn into a track car! how ever its the best place to start especialy when putting in as much effort as you are, make sure you give the 3sgte a good going over before you put it in as a tiny bit of neglect and pop!
what are you planning for the rest of the car ie brakes, suspension etc?
4agte on the way
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Best advice i can offer is to read www.twobrutal.com as thoroughly as you can, all of the information/ mount templates and wiring diagrams are there. I have done several "how to" guides on both the mounting/wiring and also the plumbing of these engines into a mk1 that are also on that site.I'm also here if you need help with anything in particular as i was the first in Europe to do this swap and have completed about 15 of them to date.

Best of luck with it, you will be creating a monster :thumleft:
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Progress today, went well almost ready to drop:

My mongoose, done 1k, will go on my mates mk1

Starter Motor

Part of the loom

Oil Cooler Pipes

Alternator

Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Today the engine came out and it was all good!

Next part of this is it is going to Nathan at mrtwos for the turbo engine to be put in so there will be more pics around july time!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Best of luck! :thumleft:
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Right guys, it's already been a month and mainly because I was let down with the engine missing about 6 parts, these have all been sourced and are on the way for completion late this week or early next. I am having front ball joints changed and have managed to get KYB shocks and springs for a good price as used koni's were not any cheaper. I will also be having turbo calipers on the back with hel braided hoses, and on the front I have brought a gt 4 brake setup with crb pads. This is modified to fit the mk 1 and has the braided hose aswell, but my main concern is getting the celica discs machined so it goes onto the mk1 4 stud hub and hoping that 16 inch rims will cover this as I don't want anything bigger. Also managed to get a kakimoto exhaust for not too much and this car will have an mot next week all being good! The engine is running at the mo but still needs the extra bits, I am also going to have some welding done to put the strength back into the chassis
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Just got my gt 4 brakes and they are massive! Hopefully be machining Discs soon
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

cracking effort and really fast conversion

let me know how much it cost for the re machining of the discs to 4x100

:thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Shadeh wrote:Just got my gt 4 brakes and they are massive! Hopefully be machining Discs soon

they are huge :thumleft:
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

So I got my gt 4 discs off the hubs today, was a right mofo too, any here is pics of the disc and mk 1 disc

This is a spacer used on the disc which also made it a 5 stud for celica but I can knock out the bolts hopefully to match the mk 1

To my suprise the gt 4 discs were already machined to fit the mk 1 hub! I also tested this and it was all good, here is a pic with the mk 1 disc on top matching up the holes :D :yahoo:

This is my new intercooler, typically used as a boot mount with pipes running into the engine bay

it was a bargain aswell :D

Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Hi Tiny, I was lucky enough to find the discs already machine but the place I was taking them to were going to charge £40.

Well I've almost got everything I need to finish it now, just waiting on an AFM and my KYB shocks and springs, heres some pics of the engine

Typical mount for new intercooler but in the boot and pipes going out both sides, am also going to make vents on side of the boot to keep it cooler

gt 4 calipers

My new down pipe, forgot to get pics of my kakimoto exhaust

Interior, may be stripped out but I don't think it will slow down the car a bit

Empty frunk, the battery is gonna be relocated here

Thats all for now, should be ready early next week.. ohh yeah :D
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Right so I'm expecting it back later on today :yahoo:
For cooling the intercooler in the boot I was thinking of putting some mk1 side vents on the side of it.. will have a look if they fit nicely once I get it back, and also, what do you guys think about a suburu impreza bonnet scoop on top of the boot?

pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

where has it been>>?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just catching up with this build after a while, shadeh i don't wish to ring any alarm bells but that engine appears to be hung very very low in the bay.... just compared to the dozen or so i have built it looks about 2" lower than normal,i think you might have ground clearance issues mate.
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Hi I drove it arounD today over bumps aswell, no problem yet but should it be higher then? Some intercooler pipes hit the engine lid
Last edited by Shadeh on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It looks to be around 1-2" too low looking at the position of the plenum, i know when we build them the plenum is only about 15mm below the engine lid catch panel top and that gives us around 4" of ground clearance.I'd guess you have less than 3" looking at it.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”