lost my keys, no spare..

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mosguido

lost my keys, no spare..

Post by mosguido »

Hey,

I've managed to be a jackass
and lost my keys, my house, my car and my broken car keys!! Must have dropped out of my pocket and some pokey must have robbed them as I've backtracked everywhere and no sign.

Two questions, I have spare locks from my mr2 I'm breaking, (if I can find the keys for them now), but I guess I'd rather be able to get a new key cut from the door barrell etc if I could without having to change all the locks.
Before I can do that, I new to get into the car.. I can break the windows as I hve spares but I don't want to. I know it's a security issue to not post publicly how, but is there a way to get into the car without damaging anything?

If so could someone pm me asap!

Also, if I do need to change the locks to
my spare cars ones, how would I now get the ignition barrel out?

Thanks for any help

guy
Mk1Chris

Re: lost my keys, no spare..

Post by Mk1Chris »

PM'd
Smallport 4AGTE
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

if you are a member of the AA or RAC give them a phone :wink:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

not a member of the RAC or AA unfortunately..
d'oh.

Cheers for the pm Mk1Chris

Guy
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

If it comes down to breaking something I'd probably go for either the sunroof (if you've got one) or the rear screen as they'll be least hassle to replace.

Ignition barrel will be a right pain to get out without the key. Best bet will probably be to swap the whole steering column over.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

ive got a sunroof on mine but my spare car is t-bar. i think ill be able to get in anyway now, just need to get the drivers lock out and get the number off it.
How easy is it to remove the door lock barrel? what do i have to do?
cmux

Post by cmux »

Pm'd
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Door locks are pretty easy although access can be awkward.

Take the door card off, have a look inside the door at the back of the door handle and you'll see a metal arm going to the lock held in by a plastic clip. To release the clip you need to upclip it from the arm, rotate 90 degrees then pull the arm out of the lever (difficult to explain but intuitive enough)

Then the lock is held into the door handle by a single M6 (so 10mm head) bolt. Getting the socket on there is a bit awkward but doable.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

ok door lock Is out now, what marks or numbers do I need to look for on the drivers side lock barrel?
There are 3 sets of numbers
4 digits on the little arm that bolts to the handle, and 5 digits (different) in two other locations on the barrel, all the sets of numbers are different. Is this all that toyota would need to cut new keys??

cheers
guy
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Toyota key numbers are normally 4 digit (or at least the key number that they supply when car is new is 4 numbers anyway)
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

cheers oukie,

have found a place to cut a new key for it now, should be sweeet as again tmrw!

cheers for all ya help!
Fog on the tyne

Post by Fog on the tyne »

If the car has the original lockset, your local friendly Toyota dealer should be able to give you your key number from the Chassis Number..the JT1 number on your log-book or vin plate in the frunk.....key numbers tend to be a letter followed by 4 numbers from memory....Hope that's useful!! Should also be written down in the service book if you have the original (and the dealer did everything they should have when the car was supplied new)??
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the dealers no longer have access to the data to convert chassis numbers to key numbers for cars as old as ours.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Well when I went to toyota a few months ago to get new keys, I used the key number in my service book but just to be on the safe side he checked it against the chassis number and they matched, He told me you dont need the key number but it makes it alot easyer to get keys made .

This was at the best Toyota dealership ive found in 12+ years of mr2 ownership

So I wonder were you (Phil) told a load of old B,S or can some dealerships do it and others cant :-k I think as my parts guy told me its straight forward if you have the key number but if not it just takes a couple of mins to sort it out . Saying that he REALLY knows his parts, I never need parts number or chassis number to get bits from him :thumleft:

kidlington near Oxford :thumleft:

P.S The keys cost me GBP 18 all in for 2 genuine original looking keys

Chris.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

not to make you paranoid, but i 'lost' a set of house keys last year.
didn't think much of it, then a week later someone watched me come home on fri with a thirst, go straight back out to the pub, then entered my house with my 'lost' set of keys.. they wanted my VR6. they took the keys for it, my laptop and fecked off leaving keys on path..

i'll never know how they got them. either 1) i dropped them loading shopping at supermarket and they were quick witted b)dropped them nr house and was seen or c) left them in the door lock..

it's accademic now, but i'd think about getting your outer house door locks changed. cost about £60 per lock

p.s. i do live 4 miles from manchester. if you live in the boondocks you may be ok
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

bobbyh wrote:
i'll never know how they got them. either 1) i dropped them loading shopping at supermarket and they were quick witted b)dropped them nr house and was seen or c) left them in the door lock..

If you have a habit of leaving your keys on a table near the front door it's a pretty common technique to go fishing for them through the letterbox with a coathanger or similar.
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

no, i'm aware or that, never do that..
System-G

Post by System-G »

Much like entering you full home address as a favourite in a satnav... [-X
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”