Changed to Toyo T1-R's and now my car handles like ****

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

Re: Changed to Toyo T1-R's and now my car handles like ****

Post by RST »

I thought the general consencus was that T1R's were pap on 15"'s due to sidewall deformation, but were good on 17"s?? I havent any quarms with them whatsoever on my 17"'s.

...but I know on another forum which seems to like them and a few MR2's I've seen on meets or the streets that I've seen more Toyo's on 15's than anything else (quite often the first think I look at just out of interest is what shoes they're running)?

When I bought mine it had Michellin Pilot's (exalto rear and excilage front?? from memory??) -they stuck like absolute glue on the stock sizes (they were <500 miles old when I bought), but lasted about 5-6k and then I couldn't get replacement's in 15's.
Moo

Post by Moo »

JohnnyC wrote:Eagle F1's rock.
Unfortunately not available in standard mk2 wheel sizes :cry:

Eagle F1 GSD3's get my vote. Best tyre I've had since the Potenza SO2. You'll be lucky to get them in any size now as they've been discontinued for about a year. They've been replaced by the Eage F1 Assymetrical but don't know how they compare to the GSD3. Will probably take a chance on them when I'm due for new tyres.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Moo wrote:Eage F1 Assymetrical but don't know how they compare to the GSD3. Will probably take a chance on them when I'm due for new tyres.

Camskill still show the GSD3's as in stock- maybe a red herring?

I was looking at the new F1's as well but the tread doesn't look as aggressive as the old F1's and they are expensive :shock:

Also cant see them in an R15...
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I'm running r888s in 15s & I can kill 95% of cars on a track day!! T1rs I've had on 17s & I thought they wa pretty good up2 about 400bhp then they started 2 let go in 3 rd gear on a straight bit of road ;-)
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I buy all my tyres from tyre traders now:

http://www.tyretraders.com/TyreSearch/

EVen if you dont want to buy them from them you can at least put sizes in and see what's available
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gee Man wrote:I'm running r888s in 15s & I can kill 95% of cars on a track day!! T1rs I've had on 17s & I thought they wa pretty good up2 about 400bhp then they started 2 let go in 3 rd gear on a straight bit of road ;-)

Yeah- the 888's sound solid, I'm looking for a spare set of of wheels to put some on for the track, I still use the car on the road a lot so dont want 888's as my main tyre.

I've got T1-R's on my tubby R16 at the front and R17 at the back and they are ace, certainly no signs of letting go in a straight line and that's with over 400rwhp going through them: but I do have extra track width at the back (running 255 40 R17's). Very impressive tyres in the lower profiles :thumleft: :thumleft:

JeffD wrote:I buy all my tyres from tyre traders now

Cheers buddy I will have a look :thumleft:
duvvaduvva

Post by duvvaduvva »

AVOID AVOID AVOID!
An horrific and DANGEROUS tyre on an Mr2 Turbo.I had Toyo T1-s on the rear before and they were great and I then changed to the T1r's.
They were so bad I went back to the guys at the tyre center and we put it up on the ramps to look for a suspension problem.The anti roll bar bushes seemed a little worn and as I NEVER skimp on my car I bought front and rear White Line uprated bars and bushes and we fitted them.
This only showed the tyres to be complete rubbish as the very little body roll was now eliminated as I have expensive coilovers and the White lines and we laser 4 wheel aligned the car with the original negative camber settings and the car still handles like a 1970's mk3 Ford Cortina.
I then fitted by friends rear wheels with worn out odd patterned cheap and perrished old black lumps of s#!t and the car handles lovely.
These T1r tyres are shocking and frighteningly bad.The side walls are so soft that the car squirms in a SRAIGHT line and trying to change direction at anythig over 60-70 mph,forget it.Feels like your wheel nuts are loose.
Also I can push buy hand with ease,the car side to side and watch the tyres move around like jelly.
Do NOT fit these to an Mr2 Turbo.
However I will be trying r888's as i put my hands inside the tyre walls when not fitted,pulled at them and they are very stiff as apose to the T1r's that I could move lateraly with ease.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Moo wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Eagle F1's rock.
Unfortunately not available in standard mk2 wheel sizes :cry:

Eagle F1 GSD3's get my vote. Best tyre I've had since the Potenza SO2. You'll be lucky to get them in any size now as they've been discontinued for about a year. They've been replaced by the Eage F1 Assymetrical but don't know how they compare to the GSD3. Will probably take a chance on them when I'm due for new tyres.

GSD3's are still in production for sizes that were oem on some cars. I got some from elite a couple of months back although with a little too much sidewall, but I read that more sidewall in mr2s is better due to the mcstrut suspension and it also helps absorb bumps.

I was going to get some T1R's again for my 16's but decided against it after being so underwhelmed with them.
jberry3

Post by jberry3 »

Glad i found this thread as i have the same issue with same tyres!

Had 4 wheel alignment done as previous rear tyres were bald on inside and 1-2 mm on outer edge, to make sure it was set up right.

Ive found it better the more worn the tyres have got but im willing to give it 1000 miles yet before i decide to change or not.

I wouldnt recommend going above 60 though lol
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

hankook Rs'2 have a good rep and they come in std rear but a 205x50 front
ashley

Post by ashley »

Small update- I have spent the last few days playing with tyre pressures, all the way up to stubidly hard (40psi cold) at the rear, and it does make a difference- but I still can't seem to get the car to handle properly when entering corners.

I'm rapidly getting towards the point where I am going to swap them out for something else... ](*,)

Still- on the plus side at least I now understand the problem with them, and exactly how it feels!

To be clear though- I think this is a problem with stock sizes on the MR2. I am more than happy with them in a lower profile on the MR2 (eg 17's), and on front wheel drive cars :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just wait mate... it'll be a mth or so till they come to you but they will. It's a combo of the deep tread block when sparkly new and the high amount of slippy lub they put on to help them out the moulds. This has happened with every set of mine (on my 3rd now) but once you're through it they're great tyres.... just show patience.

R.
ashley

Post by ashley »

OK- will do , although I'm not convinced about using a tyre that I have to drive on for 2 - 3 months before it comes good :eye:
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

R888's are very good tyres. They are the tyres of choice for the mr2 championship after all :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

tomTRR wrote:R888's are very good tyres. They are the tyres of choice for the mr2 championship after all :thumleft:

bit extreme for the road esp when it rains?
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

they are not actually as bad as people think in the wet, it is just standing water they have a problem with
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ashman wrote:Swapped the tyres on my g-limited to T1-R's in the standard size and I hate them! Before I changed it handled like it was on rails...except in the wet when the lack of grip was letting go on me...a few hairy moments later and I decided new boots were in order :lol:

Every time I start to change direction it feels like the back end is crabbing on me- horrible! I can only guess it's the tyre walls flexing on me.

I've been playing with harder tyre pressures at the back to try and compensate but cannot get it to handle right ](*,)

Looks like I've got a set of almost new T1-R's up for sale...what tyres to try next :-k

Get some Nankang NS2s on there....just don't drive like an idiot in the wet with that sort of power as no tyre will be able to take it all
ashley

Post by ashley »

mr2nut123 wrote:just don't drive like an idiot in the wet with that sort of power as no tyre will be able to take it all

It's only a g-limited, but agreed- even that will slide in the wet if you hoof it too much (yes I have found that out through experience) :eye:

Cheers for the advice- I will certainly add the Nakang's to the list of tyres to check out :thumleft: :thumleft:
AndyBrad

Post by AndyBrad »

Does anyone know how long a R888 would last on the road? They're not much more than Yoko A022 in standard sizes.
Last edited by AndyBrad on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ashman wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:just don't drive like an idiot in the wet with that sort of power as no tyre will be able to take it all

It's only a g-limited, but agreed- even that will slide in the wet if you hoof it too much (yes I have found that out through experience) :eye:

Cheers for the advice- I will certainly add the Nakang's to the list of tyres to check out :thumleft: :thumleft:

Put it this way, Xxxx knows what he's doing with tyres for dragging and he agrees with me that the Nankangs are a very grippy tyre and outperform most of the expensive tyres praised on here and will last a lot longer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”