[Mk2] [Generic] Tanabe 30.5mm front and 27.5mm rear ARBs anyone?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Leon.

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tanabe 30.5mm front and 27.5mm rear ARBs anyone?

Post by Leon. »

jmachling wrote:There must be some generic ones that are the same configuration, though. I don't imagine the Tein ones are cheap.

They're not too bad cost wise, just not very good quality!

There's some Mini Cooper ones that should fit, but they're the same as stock in that they don't have opposite facing ends, but are 10mm shorter which is good. Part no. 33 551 507 999. There's some Carina's that might fit better, these look like they wouldn't be far out (picture is taken with perspective):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CARINA-E-C ... 240%3A1318

Need to the jack the car up and have another look...
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Just had another dribble at these :whistle:

Well, 6 months later and they're £20 cheaper. Another £50 off and I'll get them :lol: Perhaps in time for winter :eye:
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Those are FAR too thick for the SW20.. for reference the front roll bar on the supercharged V8 Jag XJ is 30mm.. and thats got a huge v8 out front and tbh a pretty stiff ride.

Would be great for circuit racing, probably murder on anything else! :twisted:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Why specifically do you say that?
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Well thicker = stiffer, and so the stiffer the bar the more it'll affect the opposite side coilover. In other words hit a bump with the FL coilover and the FR feels it too. If a 2.2ton front engined car (Read heavy at the front unlike the MR2) needs a 30mm bar it stands to reason it'd be overkill on our cars. 1mm difference on a roll bar makes quite a difference, so 19mm - 30.5mm is quite a jump... would lower your ground clearance too 8)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Sounds plausible :-k I know Olly.dent is running something like 24mm and says they're fine... might request a passenger ride!
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Sure, but 24 to 30.5 - thats gonna make a fair difference. Think the standard ones are 19 and the trds 22? something like that anyway
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Whiteline make an uprated droplink that looks pretty good on camskill, but they are backordered for about 6/7 weeks. #-o

If you get the tanabes it would be interesting to see the difference between those and the trds. Or you could get the whiteline arb's which are adjustable and supposedly better for a streetcar anyway.

Did see some ARC ones knocking about somewhere not to long ago also.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

TheRoadWarrior wrote:Sure, but 24 to 30.5 - thats gonna make a fair difference. Think the standard ones are 19 and the trds 22? something like that anyway

Yeh I know, I meant I might go with what he's got - tried and tested is normally a safe way forward.

TRD's are 22.2, or at least one of them is...
steve

Post by steve »

TRD ARB's are probably one of the best chassis mods i've done. the car corners totally flat with them on :thumleft:

the thicker ones rip out the mounting points from what i've seen on mr2oc.com
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Are there any UK suppliers for front and rear TRD bars at the moment?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Fensport mate....

R.
JP1

Post by JP1 »

With regards to the Tein front drop links you can use the Toyota Avensis ones from camskill. Have bought a set for my Tein flex, yet to fit them tho.

Its in the Knowledge base on this site :thumleft:

Also, I'm no suspension expert but imho if you are running coilovers I think uprated arb's are overkill due to the spring rates being pretty high. The Tein flex are prob over stiff as it is. This in itself will reduce the body roll, adding uprated arb's will prob over do it for anything less than full on track work. I know my car corners pretty flat on standard arbs, have considered some white line ones simply for the adjustability, dial out a bit of understeer, not for the stiffness.

Just my 2p

John.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

JP1 wrote:With regards to the Tein front drop links you can use the Toyota Avensis ones from camskill. Have bought a set for my Tein flex, yet to fit them tho.

If you look at the poster, you'll notice it was me who posted about the Avensis links in the KB :clown:

I'm not saying the roll is bad with Flex, but it can be better, even with road driving. I guess it depends on your driving style.
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

JP1 wrote:With regards to the Tein front drop links you can use the Toyota Avensis ones from camskill. Have bought a set for my Tein flex, yet to fit them tho.

Also, I'm no suspension expert but imho if you are running coilovers I think uprated arb's are overkill due to the spring rates being pretty high. The Tein flex are prob over stiff as it is. This in itself will reduce the body roll, adding uprated arb's will prob over do it for anything less than full on track work. I know my car corners pretty flat on standard arbs, have considered some white line ones simply for the adjustability, dial out a bit of understeer, not for the stiffness.

Just my 2p

John.

IMO you are better off using stiffer arbs to control roll and back off the damping rate on the coilovers to compensate.. rather than relying on really stiff coilovers to stop the car from rolling.
JP1

Post by JP1 »

Totally agree with using the arb's over damping to control body roll, afaik the top chassis devs do exactly that.

I have the flex standard spring rates which are too hard imo so, as I understand it have to have the damping pretty high (relatively speaking) to control those rates. In this situation for me uprated arb's would then be a step too far. That said I'm thinking about chinging out the springs for something softer so I can drop the damping a bit, then maybe some stiffer arb's :thumleft:

Or is it just me that finds the mr2 on our typical roads on Flex's twitchier than a twitchy cat in twitchville?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

It would depend how stiff you have them set up I guess, if they're at a pretty stiff setting I would have thought you'd be hopping about without much tracktion.

The setup I have (fairly soft) is pretty hard to shift tbh.

Return to “Modifications”