For those running rollcages

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

For those running rollcages

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Can you post pics of your rollcages please, I am considering fitting one but like to keep as much of the interior as possible.

Thanks

Graeme
Steve-O 2007

Re: For those running rollcages

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

remember to check with your insurance first as well, some wont insure you with a roll cage.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

they insure me with a fully modded car and 470hp, im sure they wont mind a roll cage :D

Graeme
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

^Trickster^ wrote:they insure me with a fully modded car and 470hp, im sure they wont mind a roll cage :D

Graeme

That's all well and good, but seriously, check with them first.

My old 1275GT Clubman had a full cage and most classic/modified etc insurance companies wouldn't touch it due to the 'cage.

They seem to think that because it has a 'cage you're more inclined to stuff it into a hedge rather than it being there to save you in the event of a serious accident :roll:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

As above.. check with your insurers. There are very few companies that will cover a cage. Sky can BTW.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Good job im with Sky then lol

Graeme
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

i got a half cage in mine didnt need to loose any trim..

^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Wow I really like the look of that, what make is it, cost etc?

Thanks for the pic

Graeme
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Would half a cage make much difference in a roll?

Tubby_Mr2 please send me some more pics of your car, you have the same wheels as me but with the centres black (thinking of doing mine like that maybe) What size are yours?

Thanks
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Well im sure its better than crashing without one, the rollover bar was what I wanted really to stop the roof coming in and stoving my head in.

I could do with some crash pictures of cars fitted with these and 6 point cages too

Graeme
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

curso or summit like that 8-[ I paid 250 for it 2nd hand not sure where u could get one from
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

tubby_mr2 wrote:curso or summit like that 8-[

Cusco ?
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

im also thinking what does this cage do? all the crash damaged mr2's ive seen inc rolls, the rear supports have been ok. its normally the front end, rear end, the doors or the windscreen that crumples.

im no expert but id think the side impacts ( from crashing side into something , losing the backend ) or the front crumpling into the footwell would be what id want to stiffen up. so a 6 point would be the way forward imho.

check out some crash damaged mr2s to see.... ive seen some that look scary, but the cabin still looks intact.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Side impact is obviously an issue with our cars, so your right there, I have seen alot of mrs hit trees and lamp posts side on into the doors and it doesnt look like there is much room left for a person.

Thing is, how effective is a 6 point in this kind of a crash?

The name Rollcage states its for rolling not for side impacting as you dont get a great deal of trees and lampposts out on the track where rollcages are used.

I am wanting to increase the saftey on the road, obivously there is only so much you can do, I was worried that a 6 point cage would just be another huge lump of metal beside you to crush you a bit more in a side impact?

Graeme
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

They're made to protect you...

Having a roll cage in a crash is definitely preferable than not. It also stiffens the chassis, which to a point is a good thing.

Your right though, the only downside, as I see it is the added weight. And as everyone has been saying, the insurance is a bummer!
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I have read a few articles saying rollcage for the track and rollbar for street cars.

Has anyone else got anything they can add, seems a really grey area when it comes down to the real safety aspect of it

Graeme
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

One of our race cars got t-boned during a race at Snetterton - impact speed was around 50mph. The B pillar area of the car deformed and the only thing that stopped it impacting the driver was the roll cage.

For side impact protection, we made door bars mandatory in the MR2 Championship (and they will also be mandatory in the forthcoming modified MR2 series). Revision 2 and later mk2s all have side impact bars, but you can't beat having something permanently anchored in place!

Patrick
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

door bars? can these be fitted to standard cars for safety? or is it just cages they fit to?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You got any pictures of that smash?

I am interested in your rollcage

Graeme
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It was a long time ago, and these are the only images I can find! There are others kicking around that were taken at the circuit so if I come across them I'll post them up. This is the car that took the side impact:

It's not easy to see from the photo but the "B" pillar section behind the door is pushed far enough in that it is in contact with the roll cage. This was one of our hire cars.

This is the car that hit it - we'd prepared it for a customer who had picked it up at the circuit only the day before and had less than two hours seat time:

Patrick

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”