supercharger speedo cable

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turner

supercharger speedo cable

Post by turner »

can anyone please tell me how easy / hard it is to replace a speedo cable on mk1 supercharger how much any info would be great

cheers andy
aw11rally

simple in theory

Post by aw11rally »

yeah its quite an easy task but there is lots of other parts that get in the way, just be very careful releasing the old cable from the dash, probably best to take as much of the dash apart as you can rather than trying to save time by squeezing through small spaces, you will be a lot happier in the long run!
turner

Re: supercharger speedo cable

Post by turner »

ah right cool any idea on price and where you can get then from ?
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

http://www.speedycables.com/

That's the company I asked about making one up. i've searched my email and can't find any details - there's a good chance I did it from old work email :(

I'll keep looking and see if I can find out anything else.

Kirsty
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

turner wrote:can anyone please tell me how easy / hard it is to replace a speedo cable on mk1 supercharger how much any info would be great

cheers andy

Easy job really, it's just a bit of a faff.

Jack the car up (all four wheels if poss, otherwise the drivers side should be fine.

Remove the undertrays being careful not to shear any bolts, use some wd40 or 3in1 oil if necessary.

Unscrew the dash board methodically until you get to the back of the clocks. The speedo cable just unclips.

You should then be able to guide it out into the front boot and then out the bottom of the car. It tends to be easier with two people but it is possible with one.

Undo at the gearbox end and then pull that out of the underneath of the car. The cable is simply pushed onto metal brackets under car next to the accelerator cable.

For fitting I find it best to start under the car and feed the dashboard end up into the front boot, again two people make this easier. Attach it at the dashboard end and then clip it into position underneath the car. Feed up into the engine bay and screw it onto the gearbox.

Word of warning when putting the dash back together....Don't over tighten the screws into the plastics. It's easy to crack the dashboard around the clocks.

All in all it should take you no more than an hour and half or so first time round. :thumleft:
turner

Post by turner »

ah right great doesnt sound too bad really cheers fot the help just looks like the hardest bit is actually getting hold on one really

cheers andy
omracing

Post by omracing »

kirsty wrote:http://www.speedycables.com/

That's the company I asked about making one up. i've searched my email and can't find any details - there's a good chance I did it from old work email :(

I'll keep looking and see if I can find out anything else.

Kirsty

Thats who I used aswell on my race car. Just sent them my old cable and they made a replica and they are a damn slight cheaper (3 times cheaper) than the £100 from Toyota.
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

you are sure its the speedo cable and not the little cog that drives it from the gearbox ?

just before you order a new cable.. as the difference in price is 10x... cog is a few quid, cable will be much more..
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Is there any difference between the SC cable and a normal cable?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

ive got an sc cable....
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

Tiny wrote:Is there any difference between the SC cable and a normal cable?

yes - SC cable has to be longer

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”