Mopping

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Stretchermunkey

Mopping

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi,
Need a recomendation for someone to mop my cars paintwork. The car has been sprayed a couple of years ago and has some nasty swirl marks I want removing. Live in Liverpool but happy to travel anywhere in N/W for a good job
Cheers
Steve
fearless

Re: Mopping

Post by fearless »

you can buy mops on ebay quite reasonable and the compound, do it yourself matey for what someone would charge you could buy the bits and do yourself and again and again and again thats what i done, my mop is a clarke one get yourself a clay bar kit and go from their results are fantastic it pays for itself in no time. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Stretchermunkey

mopping

Sounds like a good idea, I don't mind putting in the work, onlt problem is, as the car has had a respray I'm a bit frightned of exposing old paint work if I cut back too much.
Steve #-o
fearless

Post by fearless »

just go easy with it matey should be fine not to agressive on the compound and you will be fine. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/180mm-950w-Car-Ma ... 7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3pc-POLISHING-SPO ... 7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Farecla-G3-Liquid ... 7C294%3A50

here you go to give you an idea of what you need and cost matey £60 ish :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Stretchermunkey

mopping

Cheers for the links mate,
Going to get them and give it a go myself, I'm sure as long as I stay away from corners I'll be fine.
Will post pics of results
fearless

Post by fearless »

no worrys mate glad to help good luck with it like i said why pay someone to do it when you can buy the stuff and do it over and over again, i bought a ford galaxy that had quite a few scratches i mopped the whole car my wife thought i had resprayed it some were quite nasty, a good investment it really is you will be onto a winner im sure i paid £70 for just my mop but saved a fortune. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Stretchermunkey

mopping

how does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-POLISHER-SAND ... 1|294%3A50

Cheers Steve
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

i valet cars for a living mate. that mop should be fine, forget the lambs wool head. you can do the waxing by hand you get a much nicer finish. use the soft sponge for buffing. if your gonna use the g3 compound you wont need a clay bar, however g3 can be a little course. try it and see what you think, then maybe you could try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Car-Pol ... 7C294%3A50
we use this at work and in the bodyshop with great results..!! i would also recommend using some water in a spray bottle, stops things drying out, and from burning through the paint,

hope this helps :thumleft:
fearless

Re: mopping

Post by fearless »

Stretchermunkey wrote:how does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-POLISHER-SAND ... 1|294%3A50

Cheers Steve

yes mate that will do the job and you get all your grades of heads aswell, i forgot as carlos said have a spray bottle with water to hand because you can get burn marks from mop, i did this once and the polish he advised might do aswell only thing it states good for scratches on door handles might do the job though i was also a valeter for about 2 years mainly used autoglym and autosmart prouducts. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

only thing it states good for scratches on door handles might do the job though.

it does more than that dude... no fear, really good stuff. better than g3 in my opinion, except for the deep scratches.. :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

you have a few choices then must admit 3m prouducts are really good ive just bought a lonboard sander off ebay for a good price, only thing when i went to get pads for it i had a heart atack £32 a pack you cant buy them single i was gutted. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

that is a very good point, happened to me a few times, definatly worth doing some research before you buy.. lol

yeh mate the finesse-it stuff is good, doesnt dry out as much as the g3
and not as messy either..!! lol
Stretchermunkey

Really grateful for the help guys,
Going to get the Polisher from my earlier post and some 3m finesse as suggested by Carlos.
Any chance you could give me a step by step to which bonnets to use for what.
Thanks Again
Steve :clap: :clap:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Stretchermunkey wrote:Really grateful for the help guys,
Going to get the Polisher from my earlier post and some 3m finesse as suggested by Carlos.
Any chance you could give me a step by step to which bonnets to use for what.
Thanks Again
Steve :clap: :clap:

just use the one mop head ( softest )not the lambs wool. forget that.. !! wash it out when it gets clogged. let the buffer do the work, press gently use water and you wont burn.try to keep the head as flat as you can on the bodywork. tilting it on an angle will probably give you swirl marks..and more likely to burn through ](*,)
have a go and get back to me if you get any probs.. good luck :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

steve i think the white one is the softest one and blue and red are more aggressive, hold mop firmly it takes some getting used to and dont have speed up to high as you will be fighting to keep it in your hands and polish goes everywhere,
also maybe mask up any rubbers or black plastics not that their is many on a 2 but bear in mind when doing other cars as once you have polish on mouldings thay are ruined you never get them back, like i said i used to be a valeter many years ago and seen lots of ruined mouldings you can dress them but it dont last the polish turns them white,
as carlos said if you need some questions ansawered let us know god it was 20 years ago now that i was a valeter. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Stretchermunkey

mopping

Nice on for all the advice,
Bitten the bullet and bought stuff off ebay.
Will post results / pics when I'm finished.
:pale:
fearless

Post by fearless »

you wont regret it matey trust me :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”