[Mk2] [Turbo] Buying help for a turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmy2take

[Mk2] [Turbo] Buying help for a turbo

Post by timmy2take »

Hi, been offered a reasonably priced mr2 rev3 but the knock sensor light comes on. Apparently the owner has tried changing it over 3 times but not had any luck getting rid of it.

Any ideas what else it could be?

Is it one to just walk away from?
lee.w

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Buying help for a turbo

Post by lee.w »

what does the knock sensor look like on the dash , it's not the yellow battery sign is it ?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

timmy2take wrote:Hi, been offered a reasonably priced mr2 rev3 but the knock sensor light comes on. Apparently the owner has tried changing it over 3 times but not had any luck getting rid of it.

Any ideas what else it could be?

Is it one to just walk away from?

Walk away but PM me the details of the owner before you do. 8-[

Difficult one really without seeing/hearing the car.

If the price is cheap then maybe worth it.

I would be suprised if the owner has spent over £450 on OEM Toyota knock sensors for them not to fix it, they were probably second hand and/or the wrong ones.
Andytoyota

Post by Andytoyota »

There isn't a knock sensor light as such, it'll flash up the engine management warning light and he'd have to done the diagnostic test to see if it is actually the knock sensor setting it off which I assume he's done?
Could be faulty wiring or something else, not neccesarily the engine knocking, would have to look into it a bit more to be honest.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

If the knock sensor was faulty the ECU light would come on at about 2000rpm and the car would be difficult to drive.

It may just need the ECU clearing. :thumleft:
stiggy

Post by stiggy »

If he's changed the knock sensor for another brand new Toyota one it'll be the cable running from the knock sensor to the ECU. Cheap fix IMO!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ok, listen to me here as I have history with this issue!

First you need to figure out if the sensor is blown or if it's just a sensor issue. There's a difference but they both give you error message "52" when you read the error codes from the dash.

I'm assuming you know about reading the error codes? 52 is for the knock sensor.

First thing to do is start the car up. Rev it past 2k revs. If it instantly comes on then it's pretty much definately a dead sensor. You can confirm it by trying to drive the car, it'll hold back VERY noticably.

If however you dont get the warning light on then chances are there's a dodgy wire/connection. You can simply reset the ECU to clear the code and take the car out of safe mode, but you're best off checking the connections to stop it happening.

When mine went I fitted a GM knock sensor. The toyota ones are made from cream cheese and are very prone to going. The GM ones are big heavy duty metal ones that work fine 99.99999% of the time. Once in a blue moon mine will throw a 52 code up. Quick reset and no issues again.

Really IMO knock sensor is definately NOT something to worry about.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Really IMO knock sensor is definately NOT something to worry about.

unless its not faulty and detected knock which in turn could be telling you that the engine is damaged, just a thought :-k
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Error code 52 isnt knock - it's knock sesnor. The only issue you have is a damaged sensor which can be fixed pretty easily.

Return to “Mechanical”