Failed Mot for jap numberplate?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dbiagioni

Failed Mot for jap numberplate?

Post by dbiagioni »

Mr2 turbo went for mot today and failed for having jap numberplates.
I did try to argue that a uk plate will not fit, but they were having none of it and told me that regulations have changed, surely this is wrong. The garage which motd the car has motd 4 mr2 turbos for me previously and always passed them.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
craig

Re: Failed Mot for jap numberplate?

Post by craig »

Have they got the BS number on them or are they show plates? Also I believe they have to have the post code of the place that made them.

Show plates may be the correct font spacing etc, but they can fail you for not having 2 to points mentioned above present.
dex

Post by dex »

What do you mean by 'jap' number plates; a square rear plate?
dbiagioni

Plates

Post by dbiagioni »

The plates on the car are square and had no markings on the underneath, ie maker, postcode etc. (i know the latter is not legal)

When i said i would get new ones made up he said they had to be uk plates, no exceptions, i just turned the sqaure plate round and stuck a uk plate to the bottom of it so it lights up etc. LOL Looked rubbish but is back on the square plate now.

Just seemed a bit pointless, when i questioned it, he pointed me to a poster which showed a uk plate, and said it has to look like that now!
craig

Post by craig »

My plates are Jap import front and rear 13" x 6.5" perfectly road legal with motorbike sized letters bearing post code and BS standard number on them.

If the MOT garage said that to me, I would go elsewhere. How the hell do fit a UK plate to the back of an import MR2 without it looking completely stupid :?
dex

Post by dex »

Sounds like the guy does not know what he's talking about. For cars registered from 1973 - 2001 you can either have the old style plates with no BSAU 145d mark and group 1 or 2 font style/spacing or the new post September 2001 style plates which must have the BS on it along with a bunch of other useless information.

Here's what the MOT testers manual says about reg plates;

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_630.htm
speed

Post by speed »

dex wrote:Sounds like the guy does not know what he's talking about. For cars registered from 1973 - 2001 you can either have the old style plates with no BSAU 145d mark and group 1 or 2 font style/spacing or the new post September 2001 style plates which must have the BS on it along with a bunch of other useless information.

Here's what the MOT testers manual says about reg plates;

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_630.htm

So that means that all mk2 mr2 don't need to have all the crap on the number plate, happy days.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I think a copy of that will be finding its way to the glovebox...
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
jon

Post by jon »

Hang on, the MOT tester's manual mentions the car registration date, not manufactured date!

So unless your MR2 was imported and registered with the DVLA before 2001 then the MOT tester could fail you on the registration plates if they don't have the BSAU 145d and postcode on them :-( For my MR2, the V5 has 2003 down as the date of first registration.

On the other hand, the tester might just look at the registration plate to determine the registration date :?
dex

Post by dex »

I think with the computerised MOT system the registration date comes up on their computer.
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

jon wrote:Hang on, the MOT tester's manual mentions the car registration date, not manufactured date!

Registration date is still the same, the date of UK registration means nothing.

For example a car in Japan made in 1993 then registered in January 1994 will still be given an L-registered plate, it doesnt matter that it was given an L-reg plate in 2001 to 2009, it makes no difference.

To the original poster. Go to another MOT station, that one is taking the p1ss. Import plates are still legal as long as the spacing/font and BS markings are all there. Correct plate size for import is 13"x7" or in new money its' 330mm x 180mm.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just to point out, to go to another MOT station will cost him another £50 for a new MOT. He's best off getting facts sorted and going to the original MOT station. However it also looks like he got round it by sticking rectangle plates over reversed Jap plates. Did you get them made up to pass the MOT? If you can prove you didnt need them, IMO the garage should reimburse your expenses.

My Tubby has passed 5 MOT's with Japanese square plates. The only writing I have on mine is Carnoissuer South at the bottom with a border all the way around. They even have carbon effect letters. It's never been MOT'd in the same place twice and no one has said a dicky bird about them.
mks2005

Post by mks2005 »

my car was just in for an mot.

Has the standard square plates most imports have.

Did not fail on the plates, just failed on other things haha

If i where you I would ask the MOT guy where it says that.
tiny big

Post by tiny big »

Mot regulations have just changed last week regarding registration plates.I am sure bs marks do not comply now/post code of supplier etc
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Had my MOT yesterday and I've got showplates on mine (see my gallery <<<). Never had a problem and I've used a different MOT centre every year so far.
Andy

Form VT17

Post by Andy »

My car has never failed on its square rear plate , ask them for a form VT 17 and complain
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022113

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”