[Mk2] [Turbo] just abit of info about a rev 2 ecu u conversion from a rv3

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pearson mr2-T

[Mk2] [Turbo] just abit of info about a rev 2 ecu u conversion from a rv3

Post by pearson mr2-T »

got an chance to buy rev 3 injectors ,map sensor, temp sensor and igniter and ecu have been told with a bit of work you can fit on to a rev2 i no you need to get rid of the air flow meter for the map sensor , and the temp sensor needs conecting some how just out of intrest any one no what else needs to be done?
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] just abit of info about a rev 2 ecu u conversion from a rv3

Post by raptor95GTS »

do a search for jimGTS posts, he did this on his old rev2 (yes I know he has millions of posts but bear with it)
spowy

Post by spowy »

I have just done this on my rev2 its not that hard but going to switch back if I get one of jeremys rev2 ecu's.

I made a patch lead that converted the rev2 ecu loom end to fit the rev3 ecu this saves cutting or manually repinning the rev2 loom plugs.

I made the patch lead by stripping a n/a ecu for the sockets and buying an old rev2 turbo loom and butchered the loom plugs of it.I then wired the patch lead so one end was rev2 pinout and the other end was rev3 pinout.

Then its just a matter of fitting the rev3 injectors into the rev2 rail and blocking of the take off that runs to the cold start injector from the rail,removing the rev2 cold start injector and fitting the rev3 MAT sensor in its place I bought an adpator plate from ebay.

You then fit the IAT sensor at the airfilter and fit the rev3 4 wire o2 sensor, I ran my own cables for the MAT,IAT and 4 wire o2 sensor I used plugs from an old loom and ran the cables back to the ecu patch lead this meant I didn't have to butcher my own loom.

The MAP sensor plugs into the rev2 loom as a straight swap for the rev2 map sensor and the rev3 ignitor plugs into the rev2 loom if you file the raised part of one of the sides of the rev3 ignitor.

There is other ways of doing it I did it this way so I can switch back easily to a rev2 the car runs ok with the conversion but over fuels more than the standard rev2 setup so you need a piggy back emanage or safc to sort out the fueling all in all its worth doing especially if you were going to go for a rev3 clyinder head further down the line as they do flow better than the rev2 ones.

Hope this helps let me know if you need any more info. here is one of the pinout sheets I found http://www.ts-ogn.no/files/3sgte-ecu-pinout.htm i will dig out some stuff I found pm me your email addy as I should still have some info in attchment form I could send you.

Chris :wink:
pearson mr2-T

ecu

Post by pearson mr2-T »

thanks for the info i haven't brought the kit yet so i m going to see how i do for money and maybe get next month.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Can you simply buy an eManage and boost controller for the rev 2 without doing the rev3 bits?
spowy

Post by spowy »

yeah as the emanage is universal you can get the looms to splice into your existing ecu loom.

I had this fitted when I was running the rev2 setup I bought the piggy back patch lead for the emanage saves hacking the loom, as I said before though will be buying one of jeremy's rev2 programmable ecu's and reverting back to the rev2 setup.

The emanage is good but has it limitations with it basically being a piggy back ecu.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Has Jeremy finished the ECU then?
spowy

Post by spowy »

Shmed wrote:Has Jeremy finished the ECU then?

Not yet, can't wait to try one when they are ready.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

It was finished months and months ago, he'll never release it i'll lay money on that.

Anywhoo....The rev3 map is mucho better than rev1/2, better fuel economy yardy yar, however a CT20 turbo upgrade is advised alongside the wiring conversion.

Getting rid of the AFM is of mucho bonus also.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I was going to do this to run a pfc on my old rev2 motor, but I never got round to doing it as I bought a rev3 motor instead.

According to jimgts and some of the us guys whove done this, the rev3 map doesnt match up with the ve of the rev2 motor so the power seems to tail off a little earlier than it should. This is easily resolved by running the pfc instead of the rev3 ecu and getting it mapped.

I actually still have a harness patch cable thingy from berk technology that goes between the ecu and the harness somewhere, the idea being you use that to change the pins around instead of hacking up your own wiring harness.
toyokid

Rev 2 to Rev 3

Post by toyokid »

Hello Chris

As with so many modifications....they do not always lead to benefit!
As I know to my cost.

Would you not be better off fitting a piggyback rather than going back to a rev 2?

Stephen
spowy

Post by spowy »

Don't get me wrong stephen the conversion is worth it as stated earlier in the thread just getting rid of the afm was a bonus.

The car is running smooth and idle's far better than it ever did with the rev2 ecu. I have a emanage fitted to sort out fueling and timing but with the standard toyota ecu's you can only go so far.

The intention of doing the coversion was to fit a rev3 powerfc and get it mapped as the gains with that ecu with the conversion seem to work well I know of a few people that have gone that route with good gains, but its the usual thing that when I am looking for a fc there is none forsale.

I like the idea of jeremys rev2 ecu as it keeps the car as it is with it being a rev2 engine but the ecu can be mapped and plugs stright in just like a powerfc.

If I can't get one of jeremys ecu's then will probably be going down the road of a full standalone ecu.

Chris :wink:
spowy

Post by spowy »

Race Idiot wrote:.

I actually still have a harness patch cable thingy from berk technology that goes between the ecu and the harness somewhere, the idea being you use that to change the pins around instead of hacking up your own wiring harness.

I made my own certainly saves hacking the loom are you selling your one if so could be interested :wink:

Return to “Modifications”