Removing dash?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pacman160778

Removing dash?

Post by pacman160778 »

Ok, so i'm trying to remove the dashboard, and i've got what i think are all the 10mm bolts out and the various screws, but it just doesn't want to come off ](*,)

I'm sure its held on with a few fixings up near the windscreen, i tried prising the vents along it off but they just partly snapped. #-o

Anyone got any tips on how to get the blasted thing off, apart from forcing it? :-k
dredd

Re: Removing dash?

Post by dredd »

removed the bolt on the passenger side above the vent under the small one?
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

yep pretty sure i got that one. i think theres some fixing quite hight up near the windscreen thats holding it on.

going to have another look tomorrow [-(
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

There is mate,

Changed my dash over christmas and there are 4 or 5 pop fixing which have a real good hold. I thought there was some bolts still holding the dash but couldn't find any. Ended up gaving it a gentle but firm pull and one popped out. Be carefull though as I broke 2 but the brand new secondhand dash had them all fitted already :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I guess that's what the line in the top left of this diagram is - it does indicate 5 clips.

IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

toxo wrote:I guess that's what the line in the top left of this diagram is - it does indicate 5 clips.

That be them :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Is it a difficult job? The lining is peeling away around the windscreen vents on mine, and it's orange. I'd like to pull it out and glue them back together but it seems like a lot of work just for 2 irritating strips...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

toxo wrote:Is it a difficult job? The lining is peeling away around the windscreen vents on mine, and it's orange. I'd like to pull it out and glue them back together but it seems like a lot of work just for 2 irritating strips...

No, not really as long as you have plenty of space to set stuff out.

Mine was like that and it had a lot of screw holes in the dash where I guess some gauges have been. I bought a second hand dash from GTSChris for £50 and to me, it wasn't worth messing about repairing the old one. I did find a lot of broken fixings which I hadn't broken when i took it apart which ended the job costing more but hey hoo :lol: .

If you are handy with the spanners about 3 hours should see the dash out and in again.
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

nick_280 wrote:There is mate,

Changed my dash over christmas and there are 4 or 5 pop fixing which have a real good hold. I thought there was some bolts still holding the dash but couldn't find any. Ended up gaving it a gentle but firm pull and one popped out. Be carefull though as I broke 2 but the brand new secondhand dash had them all fitted already :D

I can see theres a (yellow i think) popper on the right hand side through the hole where the speedo clocks go, i thought there must be more but i've been yanking at this thing and all i get is sore hands lol #-o

From the diagram that Toxo posted, there looks to be 5 :thumleft:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

nick_280 wrote: I bought a second hand dash from GTSChris for £50

£50 :shock: I was going to bin this one, i thought they would be pretty worthless :?
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Damn, i still can't get this bloody thing out ](*,)
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Maybe i'm being retarded, is the dash bolted to that bar that runs along behind it? :-k
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

Behind the clocks it is yes :thumleft:

10mm nut iirc

From what i can remember doing:

I stripped out the glove box from the dash
The entire centre console including transmission cover
Radio, heater controls etc....
Clock cluster
Heater ducts (These are screwed in place)

The fixing I remember removing are 1 outer lower bolt on each side, the bolt behind the fake vent on the passenger side, the nut behind the clock cluster and there are 2 fixing in front of the gear lever cant remember if there screws or bolts.

If you've still got the heater controls or radio in then the dash is still screwed the the lump of metal in the middle as the screws have a double use.

Hope that helps...
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

I think i remember removing all of them, including the one behind the clocks.

I've the centre console, plastics, dash, gear surround, glovebox, etc. all out. Its basicallyt just the dash left to come out :-k

I'll have another look tomorrow, i must be missing a couple, or else i just need to give it a good pull to get it off the poppers lol #-o
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

This might help.

The red rings are where the bolts/nuts are (apart from the two outer lower ones and the one hidden behind the fake vent)

There is a screw holding the dash to the impact above where the glovebox was I forgot about.

The yellow rings are the push pull plastic clips.

nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

Bigger version without rings as that came out quite small (story of my life :lol: )

nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

b0ll0cks, photobucket must be set to resize them :lol:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Yeah that'll help a lot, i'll have another go tomorrow :D

What i do notice from the pic is that the air ducting on the passenger side is still on mine, do you have to remove any fixings for it so that the dash comes free? :-k
nick_280

Post by nick_280 »

No, another mistake, just the drivers air duct to be removed.

Passenger side air duct comes away with dash.

If you do get the dash come away, its a fight getting it past the steering wheel and handbrake. If you can, might be worth removing the steering wheel before hand along with the 2x a-pillar plastic covers to stop them getting marked, I didn't and I did mark them :cry:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Well the dash is quite loose on the drivers side, as the furthest right popper is out.

Theres no brakes on the rear of the car, so the handbrake can sit at a 90 degree angle lol, so no worries there :clap:

If i can get the whole thing loose, then i can look at removing the steering wheel, its an aftermarket one so easy enough to get off.

Must have a look at the A-pillar plastics though... i'm breaking the car so don't want to damage too many things lol #-o

Return to “Mechanical”