sell break or fix.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyc1988

sell break or fix.....

Post by andyc1988 »

Hi guys,
just wondering what you guys would do In the current situation. I have a rev1 1990 mr2 turbo covered just below 90,000 miles it looks in fairly good condition for its age. I have spent some good money on tidying bits up but have now bought a new car :( the mr2 was just not practical enough for everyday use. I have plenty of tax on the car but the m.o.t runs out next month I have taken it for a m.o.t already to see what needs doing and it needs the rear breaks re conditioning (and handbrake but that works with the rear calipers) that was its only fail. should I break it for parts, sell as is or repair then sell? im not sure if another 200-300 on fixing her would be a good investment for return or not?

never run uprated boost, folder FULL of stuff and has hardly coverd any miles since its only a weekend car for me.
ChrisT

Re: sell break or fix.....

Post by ChrisT »

Seems a shame to break a good car that just needs a few things doing to get it through the MOT.

I would probably get the things done, then sell it with a full 12 months MOT. I know prices are not great at the moment, but you should definitely walk away with a good bit more cash than the 200-300 it's going to cost to fix. Plus you won't have the hasle of breaking the car and then dispatching bits of it around the country.
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

If you break it for parts you will get your hands dirty, have a wreck of a car outside your house and will have to look forward to a number of people messing you around, not turning up, haggling etc...

If you fix the brakes and offer it with a full MoT, you stand a good chance of selling the car and getting some of your hard earned back.

HTH
craig

Post by craig »

fix it dude, hardly a reason to break it :scratch:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I got second hand rev 2/3 brakes all round (pads, discs, calipers and carriers and inc. fitting) for £250 so if you look in the for sale section I reckon it wouldn't cost more than about £100 to fix. Should be able to sell for what?... maybe £1,250 ..ish. It's low mileage for the age.

R.
TeamCleverRacing

Post by TeamCleverRacing »

Everyone here is right,
you should fix it and sell perhaps in summer when the values rise a bit.
If you break it will be a hassle from what your saying.
I think this is a Q only you can decide - do you want to spend a couple hundred quid to fix? It's your money.

Keep it if you have the space and maybe when it gets warmer get the parts and have a go at the work yourself, save labour costs (take your time as you have a car you are driving)
theres bound to be a guide on the forums.
Good luck mate you will sort something
TeamCleverRacing

Post by TeamCleverRacing »

Ps

Did they do the brake test on the rollers?
Cos if you have a LSD (it's tells you on the vin plate front bonnet facing you. I can tell you if you post the letters and no.s where it says transaxle

It will start E15? -???? for your Tubby

Cos if they did test it on rollers under load and you have a LSD, apart from possibly damaging the diff you can get a reading of unequal bite pressure on one caliper side on the computer

You are meant to do a road test for brakes with cars that have LSD'S

(I have nines years experience working with performance vehicles)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”