[Mk2] [Turbo] What modifications is needed to up the boost a little?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pez

[Mk2] [Turbo] What modifications is needed to up the boost a little?

Post by pez »

Hi all,

I own a rev 3 turbo with Apexi GT exhaust, Airl filter (bought from Rogue - can not remember the name), HKS bov, EBC and NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (grade 7 - Cooler Grade). I am currently on 1.2 bar (17 Psi).

What other mods do i need so that i can up the boost a little safely?

LiamTye

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What modifications is needed to up the boost a little?

Post by LiamTye »

intercooler or charge cooler would be your best bet
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

intercooler/chargecooler and downpipe, you would also need to change the boost safety cut off/fuel cut, set at 18 psi.

tbh a chargecooler would probably give you better results but the ct20b has shown itself to be unreliable beyond 1.2 bar, both creates to much heat and can shatter and therefore possibly killing your engine.
pez

Post by pez »

mrtee wrote:intercooler/chargecooler and downpipe, you would also need to change the boost safety cut off/fuel cut, set at 18 psi.

tbh a chargecooler would probably give you better results but the ct20b has shown itself to be unreliable beyond 1.2 bar, both creates to much heat and can shatter and therefore possibly killing your engine.

So basically i need a better/bigger turbo which might force me to do internal modifications?!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Internals are good for more power mate, i'm running 350+ and have been for over 4months + done track days and she has not missed a beat. :thumleft:

I would get a charge cooler or better intercooler asap as you are already over the limit for the stock intercooler really.
Moo

Post by Moo »

You're in the same boat as me by the sounds of it. Reached the limits with bolt on mods and looking to squeeze a few more ponies out without spending mega bucks :wink:

Same as the other replies, get yourself a chargecooler or uprated IC, a must have for the boost you are running now and even more so for bigger power. Do you have a decat? I'm guessing yes but if you don't that's something else you could do for a little extra power. Boost wise you're at the limits of what the stock turbo can do so the next step would be bigger turbo which would probably require forged internals for safety and more than likely bigger injectors and standalone management etc. It all gets kind of expensive from here on in :lol:

Return to “Modifications”