[All] [Generic] Dash LED....I have found the perfect ones.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

marcnoonan

[All] [Generic] Dash LED....I have found the perfect ones.

Post by marcnoonan »

Hello,

Firstly, i know :-$

:ttiwwp:

But will take some pics tonight.

If you want to do an led conversion on the main dash lights then forget normal LED and the ebay sets

These are the perfect answer, new SMD LED's \:D/ \:D/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009

I got these for mine and the light spread is 100% perfect with no hot spots or faded areas but are more expensive. They are the answer eveyone has been looking for. I got six and did the fuel too. Don't go for any bigger than these as it was a very tight fit.

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
Joey

Re: [All] [Generic] Dash LED....I have found the perfect ones.

Post by Joey »

Look forward to seeing the pics
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

CREE's Nice find the only concern i have with fitting these in mine is the Heat genereated by them I have a 500 lumen torch with 3 of these things in and thats vented and only running 8 volts. I would be cautious at putting CREE's into your dash not much flowing air and alot of heat to build up.
If possible i would wire them up off a 12v source prior to fitting them and see what the heat given off is like.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I used these in my dash
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u5015a-super ... -1550.html

but the red version (can't seem to find on ultraleds) seems to have perfect spread.

I did have normal leds before and sanded the tops slightly to give more spread. The ones i use now have near perfect spread, it isnt quite as bright at the bottom of the dials but not hardly noticeable.

These sound even better, just a little concerned about the heat thats been mentioned. Let us know how you get one.
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Didn't get in from work until midnight so I'll take some tonight after I've seen The Incredible Hulk.

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
fearless

Post by fearless »

i want to do heater controls sooner or later do thay use the same bulbs havent had a chance to look :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

heater controls are different, the 2 backlights you replace with a normal small led with a resistor, the buttons can be replaced with normal leds.

soldering iron is also needed ;)
fearless

Post by fearless »

hmmm sounds tricky ive seen a guy on ebay who sells them done ive seen them listed a few times now, maybe have a look when the time comes :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

if you can use a soldering iron its actually fairly easy, took me about an hour to do it all and the aircon buttons, i have a guide on mr2oc.co.uk for the buttons, theres another guide for the back light. Only problem is that the links we used for the leds don't work anymore as ultraleds seem to keep changing them.
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Steve,

Doing the heater is next on my list.

You will need 10 3mm led with resistors to do the buttons and 2x 5mm led for the backlights. However the 5mm don't give that good a spread so I'll looking to fit a SMD Led strip along the temp bar.

May as well get 3 extra 3mm to do the window control lights and the same also do the fog light switches and dimmer (not sure how many, 1 per).

Sorry but working 9-5 and also 4 nights a week so still haven't had time to get some pics up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hulk was fantastic film by the way :thumleft:

Marc
fearless

Post by fearless »

this was the guy on ebay i found a while ago think it looks quite cool for £45 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MK2-FU ... 286.c0.m14
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Here ya go,

Tried one of the SMD bulbs on the fuel warning light but it's poo so I'm just going for a normal blue 501 (T10) bulb, so I've got 2 spare SMD LED for 5 quid if anyones interested.

The 286 (T5) bulbs work perfectly in the indicators but not too well in the ashtray and ignition ring.

There is a perfect light distribution to the eyes, played with the camera to get a clearer picture though.

The light given out isn't overly bright even on the highest dimmer setting.

Well worth getting four of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009

Just the heater, foglight switches, headlight angle bezel, dimmer knob, hazard switch, window controls and lighter left to do.

Marc
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

think i may have to invest in some of these but white if they do them as mine is patchy

good work mate :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

marcnoonan wrote:Doing the heater is next on my list.

You will need 10 3mm led with resistors to do the buttons and 2x 5mm led for the backlights. However the 5mm don't give that good a spread so I'll looking to fit a SMD Led strip along the temp bar.

You only need resistors for the 2x 5mm LEDs for the backlights :wink:
I've thought about an LED strip, but it'd involve hacking the clear plastic bit inside that 'spreads the light' of the normal bulbs. A nice bulb with several LEDs pointing in all directions should do the trick - if there is one small enough.

marcnoonan wrote:May as well get 3 extra 3mm to do the window control lights and the same also do the fog light switches and dimmer (not sure how many, 1 per).

Just a note for anyone else doing this, not all window controls have 3 LEDs, think Toyota changed to just 1 from the rev3 onwards.

Your indicators look ace BTW, I tried using the original bulbs with colours plastic, but it just didn't work at all :cry:
Marf

Post by Marf »

How come the needles arent lit?
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Thanks JonnyC,

That is what I'm not too sure on i.e. resistors because most are around 3.5V so thought they were necessary and the How To's I've read differ.

For the total list I think I need (please feel free to correct)

10 3mm for the heater
1 for the hazard light
1 for the dimmer wheel
1 for headlight angle adjuster
2 for foglight switches
1 for lighter
3 for drivers controls
1 for passenger door control
=20

2 5mm for heater backlights.

Have been looking at single SMD's to replace the 5mm as well as I think the multiple angle LED would be too big, but I haven't opened the heater up yet so not sure how much room I have to play with, but not worth replacing the 3mm with SMD'S though.

Will get 2 butterfly 286 (T5) LED to do the ignition and ashtray again.

Same offer to you too if you want 2 of the indicator blue led, just let me know.

Liam

There are white ones too! \:D/

Marf,

Ermm, :oops:

They're chrome so don't show up too well but they are easy enough to see when driving at night.

Cheers

Marc
Last edited by marcnoonan on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Ah ok :thumleft:
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

marcnoonan.... when i had my little zetec s there was a bird on ebay who used to do the switchs for you,you could have them brand new or send yours off and she would do them for you and you could have any colour bulb you like

if you are feeling confident in doing this maybe you could do the same

just an idea not sure on time scale mind but might be worth ago
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Def don't need resistors for the buttons as they are originally LEDs so i imagine the voltage has already been reduced.

Here's the guide i wrote for the buttons, the link to the LEDs i used doesn't work any more so if someone finds some LEDs they think are good for the job let me know and i can update it.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/Knowledge_Base/o ... d=217.html

Return to “Modifications”