replacement front shocks

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HT

replacement front shocks

Post by HT »

The front shocks on my mk1 are a bit tired (110,000 miles old I guess), I don't wish to go to the expense of a koni kit and will never bother with KYB's again. Any one have any idea as to the price of new one's from MR T??
Mr_Spanners

Re: replacement front shocks

Post by Mr_Spanners »

I just ordered a pair from TCB - cost £51.50 each plus vat (they're the genuine toyota parts...made by KYB!).

As mentioned on another thread these are different to the original Toyota shocks as the cannot be stripped at a later date and inserts used.

HTH
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Why dont you like the KYB's Huw?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
silentk

Post by silentk »

I've just replaced my shocks with KYB's all round (with Fensport springs) and have found them pretty good, not too hard. Espescially compared to the TRD coilovers I had on my old GT4!

One of the inserts I took out of the front is an almost new BOGE insert which the previous owner had installed 2 years ago (only about 10k miles ago), maybe it's worth seeing what the price of these are?

btw if anyone wants the BOGE insert they can have it for free if it's any good to anyone?
HT

Post by HT »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:Why dont you like the KYB's Huw?

Nothing wrong with them - and for the money a complete set can be bought in from the US for the cost of a pair of replacement struts, just know they'll a bit too firm for everyday motoring. Ideally a koni kit would be the way to go, but will be abroad over the winter and just don't want to spend loads presently. :)
HT

Post by HT »

Mr_Spanners wrote:I just ordered a pair from TCB - cost £51.50 each plus vat (they're the genuine toyota parts...made by KYB!).

As mentioned on another thread these are different to the original Toyota shocks as the cannot be stripped at a later date and inserts used.

HTH

Thakns - they do fine, as the originals have managed 110k so reckon they'll out last the car. :wink:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Mr_Spanners wrote:I just ordered a pair from TCB - cost £51.50 each plus vat (they're the genuine toyota parts...made by KYB!).
HTH

TCB do not sell Toyota OEM (genuine)... Please stop saying this :)
They sell OEM equivalent which is a very different thing alltogether :wink:

OEM equivalent isn't necessarily a bad thing though, but it's certainly not original equipment manufactured.

KYB's from Fensport using club discount works out even cheaper - something like £47.00 a corner :wink:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
HT

Post by HT »

System-G wrote:
HTH

OEM equivalent isn't necessarily a bad thing though, but it's certainly not original equipment manufactured.

KYB's from Fensport using club discount works out even cheaper - something like £47.00 a corner :wink:

OEM will do fine. :) Thinking about it wasn't Tokica makers of the OEM struts for the mk1?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

System-G wrote:[

Very much cheaper from ebay usa, all 4 for about ~£130 and you don't have to deal with f******t
Mr_Spanners

Post by Mr_Spanners »

System-G wrote:
HTH

Well the ones I got from TCB came in 'Genuine Toyota Parts' boxes... they have Toyota stickers\part numbers on the box and the same part number is stamped on the shock casing. I'd say that's pretty OEM. OK, it's not the original part Toyota used back in the 80's but.... it is possible that a newer replacement part might be better than the original??? :wink:

Oh, speaking of shocks... I've just taken my old ones off - can you spot the odd ones out??? :-k

Both near side shocks were completely shot (I pushed the pistons in about 5 hours ago and they're still stuck down!). I'm really looking forward to driving the car ones all the new bits are fitted!!! :D
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
System-G wrote:[

Very much cheaper from ebay usa, all 4 for about ~£130 and you don't have to deal with f******t

Having met Tim a few weeks ago, he provided me with the US link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 48190&rd=1

and I have just ordered x4 KYBs for $250 USD inclusive of Shipping, so at nigh on x2 dollar to a quid, thats the nuts for £128....they also do Tokico's for about £30 quid more if you don't want KYB's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-H ... 0261717915

This place is a MUST for all MK1'ers doing their shocks / springs...just like to say thx to Tim again for saving me a cartload of coin on this one....Top Man :thumleft:
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

I've heard mixed reviews about this guy, but with a £100 potential saving, its worth a punt, i've ordered some too...hope we don't get whacked for import duty!!
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Kooga wrote:I've heard mixed reviews about this guy, but with a £100 potential saving, its worth a punt, i've ordered some too...hope we don't get whacked for import duty!!

That would be a good example of IRONY if that happens #-o
Good luck to you as well fella!

:thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Kooga wrote:I've heard mixed reviews about this guy, but with a £100 potential saving, its worth a punt, i've ordered some too...hope we don't get whacked for import duty!!

If you ask him nicely he'll mark them lower.
jasper

Post by jasper »

He marked mine as $39 and also put "replacement parts under guarentee". I didn't pay any duty.
katana

Post by katana »

Are the american ones just the inserts or the casings as well?

Does anyone have the part numbers for the shocks from MR T

Thank you
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Update: 4 x KYB inserts have arrived and look good!! Even though marked as $39 and replacement under guarantee, still got walloped for £26.46 duty, cheeky little thieving *******. Still, £154.54 delivered is still a great price..£38.61 an insert...and fast too, only 8 days from ordering to delivery. On this, I can only recommend :D
Mr_Spanners

Post by Mr_Spanners »

Just a little addage to this thread...

I've just swapped out my old suspension for new Toyota parts (the new 'complete assembly' versions that can't be stripped down) and a set of Apex lowering springs. The ride quality is excellent for everyday use and the lowering has really added great feel to the steering on 'turn in'. The ride isn't crashy or harsh and the shocks\springs seems to work very well together.

[beard]

One thought though (maybe Jim-SR can answer this??). My understanding is that a shock absorbers main function isn't actually to absorb the main 'shock' (hence why they're often referred to as 'dampers') - that's the function of the spring - the damper is there to control the oscillation in the spring to stop it (and your car) bouncing.

It's widely thought that having lowered\uprated springs will kill your standard shock absorbers quicker than stock springs BUT if the springs are stiffer surely the dampers have less work to do??? :scratch:

[/beard]

Any thoughts????
johnp

Post by johnp »

Mr_Spanners wrote:Just a little addage to this thread...

I've just swapped out my old suspension for new Toyota parts (the new 'complete assembly' versions that can't be stripped down) and a set of Apex lowering springs. The ride quality is excellent for everyday use and the lowering has really added great feel to the steering on 'turn in'. The ride isn't crashy or harsh and the shocks\springs seems to work very well together.

[beard]

One thought though (maybe Jim-SR can answer this??). My understanding is that a shock absorbers main function isn't actually to absorb the main 'shock' (hence why they're often referred to as 'dampers') - that's the function of the spring - the damper is there to control the oscillation in the spring to stop it (and your car) bouncing.

It's widely thought that having lowered\uprated springs will kill your standard shock absorbers quicker than stock springs BUT if the springs are stiffer surely the dampers have less work to do??? :scratch:

[/beard]

Any thoughts????

Don't forget that your lowered springs will have changed your suspension settings (mainly more negative camber) so you should have these checked/reset.
Regarding you last point,and this is only a guess so I'll no doubt be corrected.....most shocks have little 'bump' resistance but exert most of their effect on 'rebound' and after a spring has been compressed they then have to control the force of expansion (rebound),which is a stronger force with a short,stiff spring than the force of the standard spring.
...probably nonsense,any experts out there? :oops:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

2 years on and i'm still meaning to get my alignment done. Nothing wrong with abit more negative camber. Will be getting it done when i order some rear tie rod arms.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”