Dark blue t-bar with black interior?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GaryR

Dark blue t-bar with black interior?

Post by GaryR »

I'm thinking of changing my rusty red coupe for a dark blue t-bar, but all the cars I've looked at have the blue interior.

It's probably a dumb question, but Toyota did produce the dark blue t-bar with black interior?

At what point did leather seats become standard in the t-bars, and are there blue cars with cloth seats and black interior ?

Also, are the superchargers the same ?

Thanks,
Gary.
Sharpfish

Re: Dark blue t-bar with black interior?

Post by Sharpfish »

As far as I remember no Superchargers had leather inc t-tops (mine had a blue cloth interior) could be wrong on that as it's been 7 years since I did any SC specific research. :mrgreen:

MY dark blue na had black leather interior. I think if you find a cloth interior in a silver or dark blue car then it's usually blue interior. If you find leather than it's black. Yes black interior/leather does exist in Dark Blue T-Bars certainly in my E reg and other E/F reg's I've seen. I had read that Leather was supposed to be standard in t-bars after a certain year but I see all sorts of variances (lots of blue cloth but I don't think I've seen Dark blue with Black cloth only blue cloth or black leather) so I don't know what to belive anymore.

Oh and if you can't find the interior you want, can't you swap the one from the red car before scrapping/selling? It's not that hard to do really.
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Thanks for the information, it looks like I'm after a dark blue t-bar with black leather interior.

I don't fancy swapping all the interior over, I suspect the dash would be a right pain, but swapping worn leather seats for good (black) cloth ones might be doable.

It seems odd that they didn't do the SC with black interior, may be leather isn't that popular in Japan !?!?!?
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

GaryR wrote:Thanks for the information, it looks like I'm after a dark blue t-bar with black leather interior.

I don't fancy swapping all the interior over, I suspect the dash would be a right pain, but swapping worn leather seats for good (black) cloth ones might be doable.

It seems odd that they didn't do the SC with black interior, may be leather isn't that popular in Japan !?!?!?

Oh they may have done black cloth, certainly did on some colours) but yes leather I think wasn't on the SC option list (or maybe JDM cars in general didn't have that option????)

I wouldn't say it's too hard swapping the interior over, worse part I think would be the headlining (stuck on) and the long dash piece (stuck on just alittle but mostly straight forward bolts) yes there's qute a few screws to come off but it's a fairly basic interior, the problem part for the unwary would be unplugging all the looms/connecters and what have you - but even then it's pretty much plug and play on reassembly (actually the heater control is the hardest of those but you can leave it connected and work around it).

It was just a last resort option if you really wanted black but couldn't find the perfect car with it in already, if a good car comes up then you prob don't want the 'blue interior problem' putting you off completely.

I may have a full black interior up for sale shortly if my latest plan comes to fruition ;)
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

One of my SC's was a T-Bar, Dark Blue with Black Interior.

Infact, most SC's had a Black Interior, but there is, as always, the odd one around with a blue interior.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Yep, as I said there are definitely superchargers with black *CLOTH* interior, and a dark blue one wouldn't suprise me. It's the leather I was reffering to. If you are saying they had black leather then fair enough, I didn't see black leather on SCs when I was in the market for one, and I thought i'd read somewhere that SCs never came with leather. We know how Toyota seem to do whatever takes their fancy on the day of production though ;)

As for UK cars, Dark Blue T-Bar if not leather (and thus black), has tended to be be Blue Cloth judging from the cars I've looked at. I'm not saying there are no black cloth UK NA T-Bar Dark Blue cars but I've not seen many about.

Maybe because my original SC was already hampered with Auto box they thought they would throw in the blue interior to really do a number on it's owners ;)
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

You're dead right, no JDM SC's had leather.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

My E Reg T-Bar was Mica Blue with black leather interior.

People do swap interiors: as mentioned above the dash is a PITA, but the door cards, carpet and seats are dead easy, as are most of the plastic trim (steering wheel bits, stereo surround, etc) .....

You can always paint the dash, anyway.....!

I think leather became an option on UK cars with the introduction of the T-Bar...?
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

My first mk1 was a G-reg dark mica blue T-bar with a black leather interior. I saw another one with the leather interior (F-reg I think) when I was looking around for one too.

I think if you can find a very late mk1 (i.e. 1990 registered G plate) then all T-bars came with leather as standard (or maybe as a no cost option) by that point but I could be wrong...
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

It was 1988 that leather was std in the t-bar N/A i think

Never leather in the SC

Lots of dark blue cars have black interior, but the black cloth often looks slightly blue due to fade.

My SC is black interior and black/blue cloth.
coverco

Post by coverco »

Looks like you just missed this one :(

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98832
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

There are a few mica blue cars that have a black cloth interior. Black leather is not a brilliant idea in a dark coloured car without aircon.

I can only guess that a few enlightened UK customers point blank refused to put up with the awful blue interior that seemed to come with mica blue cars.

They are quite rare though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

GaryR wrote:

A lot of blue SCs had black interiors, a few had blue. It seems to be the other way round with SCs interior colour wise in comparison to UK cars.

No SCs had leather. For some reason leather isn't popular in Japan.
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

coverco wrote:Looks like you just missed this one :(

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98832

I did see this, but felt that without an MOT it was a too risky purchase. I already have a car that's done 120K and needs welding.... I'm not sure I need another one. :)

Thanks for the heads up though.
HT

Post by HT »

Lauren wrote:
GaryR wrote:

A lot of blue SCs had black interiors, a few had blue. It seems to be the other way round with SCs interior colour wise in comparison to UK cars.

I thought that as well Lauren - must be really unlucky to get a JDM SC with a blue interior. :wink:
widster

Post by widster »

I prefer the blue interior as more in keeping with the 80's feel of the car and a bit different than commonplace black.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

widster wrote:I prefer the blue interior as more in keeping with the 80's feel of the car and a bit different than commonplace black.

Really?

Is that because you've got a blue interior?

I had a blue interior on my first two MR2s... hated it and loathed it with a passion. Was so glad when i got a red mk1a with black and red interior. Far, far nicer.

Sure its different but that isn't a good thing.
coverco

Post by coverco »

Lauren wrote:

I had a blue interior on my first two MR2s... hated it and loathed it with a passion. Was so glad when i got a red mk1a with black and red interior. Far, far nicer.

You like it really, if you hated it so much why did you buy the second one :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

coverco wrote:
You like it really, if you hated it so much why did you buy the second one :lol:

No, I hate it with a passion. I was desperate to get another car so went for a white mk1 with blue interior (DJ), i never really liked the colour and just loathed the interior in all honesty.

Bad mistake. :-:
widster

Post by widster »

Lauren wrote:
widster wrote:I prefer the blue interior as more in keeping with the 80's feel of the car and a bit different than commonplace black.

Really?

Is that because you've got a blue interior?

I don't need to justify why, i just prefer blue. Not just because it's different, but because it is my preference as you obviously prefer black. No more to it than that.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”