REV3 TUBBY AND AN R32???

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

mattcambs

Re: REV3 TUBBY AND AN R32???

Post by mattcambs »

Rev2_mike wrote:Yep - lacks mid range grunt, depending on what you compare it to of course. Compared to an na mr2 the tubby has lots, but ive had plenty of situations where the car has been off boost or just punting down a dual carriage way etc and put my foot down and thought "damn - where's the power!?" Having driven other cars recently ive been realising it all the more - stick your foot down in an r32 at about anywhere in the rev range and it'll still pull. Incidentally i've just bought a scooby running about the same power as the '2 and its got loads more usable mid range pull, nothing like the lag - it just goes! I'm not knocking the '2 (ive had 3! 8) ) just pointing out an area that it doesnt do so well - unless you drive around at above 4k all the time!

I think you're talking about Low-end grunt :wink: , which MR2 turbos do lack, agreed. The midrange is where it's at :thumleft: 8)

I do understand what you're saying, though. Forgetting outright power/torque figures - a car that has a very responsive, low-end torquey engine is often a joy to drive 8)
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Yeah I'd agree the MR2 has a bit of lag low down. Even though the turbo starts spooling at 2000rpm it doesn't seem to really get going until 3500-4000rpm when it hits full boost. I've been embarassed several times pulling away without enough revs, however I don't mind as I know I'll soon be overtaking them. Lol.

I do like the Golf R32, saw a black one in a showroom the other day and it looked great BUT very overpriced IMO. £30k for a brand new one :shock:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

dawolf wrote:Yeah I'd agree the MR2 has a bit of lag low down. Even though the turbo starts spooling at 2000rpm it doesn't seem to really get going until 3500-4000rpm when it hits full boost. I've been embarassed several times pulling away without enough revs, however I don't mind as I know I'll soon be overtaking them. Lol.

I do like the Golf R32, saw a black one in a showroom the other day and it looked great BUT very overpriced IMO. £30k for a brand new one :shock:

lol 30k for that? V-Spec GTR R34 anyone? :wink:
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

without doubt,in that sort of price bracket you're clearly not gettin your money's worth imo!!! imagine puttin that much money into a car! skyline,mr2 :),supra,rx7 etc but even if i was jus buyin a car straight i'd prob pick up summit like a noble instead. i'm just not a huge fan of hot hatches! personal choice obv but defo not a hot hatch fan,i appreciate the work and technology n'all but just not for me [-X too pricey :lol:
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

oh and what about these for marketing schemes? lol
bottomendgone

Post by bottomendgone »

I've a MK5 gti golf at the moment (dont worry, going back to the promised land of rev3 tubby shortly) and it leaves a workmates R32 for dead.

Albeit mine is remapped to approx 240bhp, but still.
steve b

Post by steve b »

bottomendgone wrote:I've a MK5 gti golf at the moment (dont worry, going back to the promised land of rev3 tubby shortly) and it leaves a workmates R32 for dead.

Albeit mine is remapped to approx 240bhp, but still.

There was a big thread on Pistonheads about a guy who went into a VW dealer and asked for "the best Golf" he bought an R32, he posted on pistonheads as he was really pi$$ed off as a workmates standard Gti walked all over it.

R32 = Extremely over rated, the Gti apparently under rated.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
bottomendgone

Post by bottomendgone »

Don't get me wrong, the GTI is a fantastic car but there is far better 'bang per buck' to be had elsewhere.

The turbo boosting in the GTI feels fantastic, it always feels like a twin turbo as it gets a 'second wind' so to speak around 4500-5000rpm and just takes it all the way to the redline.

The r32 is very heavy in comparison and would be quite similar in the power-to-weight ratio.

Return to “Driving Experiences”