New auto choke installed - alternative to waxstat...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flak monkey

New auto choke installed - alternative to waxstat...

Post by flak monkey »

Got my 'manual' choke installed. Used a 40deg temp switch from RS (cost £1.85+Vat) to keep it automatic and seems to work very well indeed. Sensor is attached to the metal tube which runs from the water pump to the stat housing.

This is an idea 'borrowed' from this thread:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93076

Got the cold idle set to around 1200rpm and after about 3 mins at idle the solenoid closes and idle settles to 850rpm. Needs a quick blip on the throttle when first started, but nothing more.

Located the Mk2 Aircon VSV solenoid alongside the existing Idle Up valve on the MK1s in the engine area attached to the intake tubing. (Pic below). Power taken from engine bay fan relay in the boot area and earthed to the unused cruise control connector.

David
spudgun

Re: New auto choke installed - alternative to waxstat...

Post by spudgun »

I'm glad it worked out alright for you.

Mine needs a blip of the throttle in the morning as well, but other than that it's very good.

I hope 40°c is hot enough, but the switches aren't the earth if you need another.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

good job :thumleft: great to see manual chokes being used these days instead of that 'orrible stat.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I've really been out of the loop with regards to this manual choke thing, is this only for NA cars or is there some benifit to SC engines also?

Never had a problem with my sc idling/revs that i've noticed :?:
coverco

Post by coverco »

Sharpfish wrote:I've really been out of the loop with regards to this manual choke thing, is this only for NA cars or is there some benifit to SC engines also?

I assume the SC uses the same waxstat as the NA, what the manual choke does is adjust the normal 2500rpm start up tickover down to a more sensible 1200-1500rpm, when the car is warm you just switch it off, so as soon as you set off you can turn off the choke (or use a timer/sensor to switch it off).

It means you don't end up sitting at traffic lights with the car doing 2500rpm :oops:
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

coverco wrote:
Sharpfish wrote:I've really been out of the loop with regards to this manual choke thing, is this only for NA cars or is there some benifit to SC engines also?

I assume the SC uses the same waxstat as the NA, what the manual choke does is adjust the normal 2500rpm start up tickover down to a more sensible 1200-1500rpm, when the car is warm you just switch it off, so as soon as you set off you can turn off the choke (or use a timer/sensor to switch it off).

It means you don't end up sitting at traffic lights with the car doing 2500rpm :oops:

TBH I've never had a problem with the stock system on either NA MR2 I've owned.

On a really cold day it goes higher than 2500rpm at idle but the car is still drivable by the time it is reversed onto the road and it soon warms up once on the move.

Maybe it's because I don't live very near any traffic lights :lol:

Note: My mum had two NA mk1s from new and they were the same.
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

coverco wrote:

I don't think the SC has the same system. I've never noticed the high revs thing with my SC. My first NA used to rev up and down like crazy on its own until it had warmed up - used to wind people up when sitting in a queue I can tell you - and it was pretty embarassing sitting there with everyone giving me evils... :oops: =; :whistle:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The SC uses a system more akin to the mk2 than the mk1.

All mk1's take forever to knock the choke off wether they are brand new or 20 years old,its a design flaw,absolutely no need for the waxstat to keep the revs high for 3 or 4 miles.

Using a manual choke system means its idling at 900rpm at the end of the street.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Ok Thanks, thought my SC had been ok, always idled nicely after the first ten seconds or whatever (around 800-1000 adjusted with the screw IIRC). The NAs I drove were ages ago so couldn't remember the problem.

cheers

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”