My RX7 V's MX5

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Azz

My RX7 V's MX5

Post by Azz »

Well I had been for a drive out and I was on my way home, and was approaching a long strait road and noticed an MX5 right behind me, so dropped it into 2nd, and waited for the 60 sign, drew level with it and floored it, after I hit 90/100 ish the MX5 was only about 7 cars behind me :shock:

So I have a nice set of Tien's on with some top rubber so I think :roll: I will out corner it #-o well it didn’t work,

This thing was fast, very fast I went on my way home and he turned off, I told a work mate about it the other day, He came up to my desk this morning and asked if it was Red with Gold wheels, he told me he had just bought it :-s

It’s a Turbo something or other running 197RWHP at the wheels, @ 900KG, Mine 280RWHP at the Wheels at 1280KG,

Kinda explains why I couldn’t get away :shock:

:pale:
owai

Re: My RX7 V's MX5

Post by owai »

When i was looking for a new car there was 2 cars i was looking for an MR2 Turbo and mx5 Mk1 Turbo , there's something about the mx5 just being like a go kart plus with a turbo power to weight ratio it will shock a few cars!
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Yeah, the MX5 can be on the quick side and is always a surprise to most.

My mates Mrs had one a few years back and when having a drive I thought christ this thing is quick...mind you it weighs less than a bar of soap but my only critisim of it is that the steering felt a bit twitchy on the front end when nearing the limit....was not as confident with this as I am with my MK1's. Either this is a facet of the MX5 or her steering rack was fooked, dunno :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

IIRC the turbo conversions on them are pretty well established. There were a few companies that offered them very soon after the car made it big in the market.

It's a shame Mazda never felt the need to offer a properly fast one out of the box.

While it would probably satisfy some one like Lauren it would bore me quite quickly.

Although to be fair, I wouldnt mind owning or at least driving one one day..
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

there was a stripped red one a few months back in one of the jap performance mags running 400bhp :shock:
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

skipp123 wrote:there was a stripped red one a few months back in one of the jap performance mags running 400bhp :shock:

Did it come with wings and a parachute? as that things going airbourne with that at the wheel :shock: :shock:
owai

Post by owai »

matt_mr2t wrote:IIRC the turbo conversions on them are pretty well established. There were a few companies that offered them very soon after the car made it big in the market.

It's a shame Mazda never felt the need to offer a properly fast one out of the box.

While it would probably satisfy some one like Lauren it would bore me quite quickly.

actually mazda did do some official turbos BBE turbos for the mx5 i think it was a company in the UK , i remember reading about it on wikipedia there is also a forum dedicated to them. :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

owai wrote:
actually mazda did do some official turbos BBE turbos for the mx5 i think it was a company in the UK , i remember reading about it on wikipedia there is also a forum dedicated to them. :thumleft:

IIRC was BBR (Brodie Britain Racing). A friend of ours had one.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
owai

Post by owai »

2 out of 3 aint bad don't ya think?
steve b

Post by steve b »

They can be quite Rapid, Lyndon at Rogue thought mine felt an easy equal to a 300bhp MR2 after he mapped it. It produced 250bhp/220lbs at that point and weighed 960kg PWR of 260bhp/ton. Its since had Ryan remap it on 99ron, a bigger turbo cover 3" inlet up from 2.5" and a fair bit more weight stripped out.

If I ever go down the forged internals route (mines still on standard un-opened long block, 133bhp stock) my current fueling/ turbo setup would do me a happy 320bhp, if the car now weighs 940kg and had 320bhp you'd be looking at 340bhp/ton :shock:

There are several turbo kits, most basic being Greddy & HKS and then the big boy American kits by Bell Engineering (Corky Bell's company) and Flyin Miata, these go right up to GT35 territory. My cars got a Bell Engineering kit on it with a GT2860RS. A friend has a smaller turbo, GT2550 with the same kit and his mate has an EVO VIII FQ300 and he can happily sit on the EVOs bumper.

My Spec :- 550cc RC developments Injectors, Garrett GT2860RS turbo, Link G3 ECU, Fast Forward Superchargers Dual feed big bore fuel rail, Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Forge Actuator & BOV, Bell Engineering front mount intercooler, IC pipework, cast manifold, stainless devorced downpipe, Motorsport CAT, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Hard Dog roll bar, OZ Ultraleggeras, Protech Aluminium bodied coilovers, polybushed, 13 row oilcooler & remote filter, Koyo Alloy high volume rad.

95ron map to 4 psi to 8psi, 99 ron map 4 psi to 12psi map.
Last edited by steve b on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

owai wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:IIRC the turbo conversions on them are pretty well established. There were a few companies that offered them very soon after the car made it big in the market.

It's not really a Mazda factory option though is it. It reminds me of the Mk3 MR2's with a the TTE turbo. They add it on as an afterthought.
Ford UK also did it with the Focus before the RS came out. Think it was an ST180 or ST200 or something (not to be confused with the later release factory ST170)

What I mean is a totally purpose built FAST MX5 with well over 200bhp to keep the acceleration junkies (like myself) happy.
steve b

Post by steve b »

wiki wrote:The 2004 model year saw the introduction of the official turbocharged Mazdaspeed MX-5, Roadster Turbo in Japan. It featured an IHI turbocharger equipped BPT engine that produced 178 hp (133 kW) at 6000 RPM with a front-mounted air-to-air intercooler. Other features included a special suspension, upgraded transmission and clutch assemblies, upgraded drivetrain components, Racing Hart 17-inch alloy wheels, special interior trim. The 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 was only available in Velocity Red Mica and Titanium Gray Metallic while the 2005 model was available additionally in Lava Orange Mica and Black Mica.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
benGT

Post by benGT »

I own an mx5 at the moment. Fantastic drive!
Easily goes sideways when you want it to and it's pretty quick too! (mainly due to weber 45s and other mods)

as much as I love it though, it has to make way for my rev 3 tubby that will be arriving from Japland soon.... :( :)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

benGT wrote:I own an mx5 at the moment. Fantastic drive!
Easily goes sideways when you want it to and it's pretty quick too! (mainly due to weber 45s and other mods)

as much as I love it though, it has to make way for my rev 3 tubby that will be arriving from Japland soon.... :( :)

that mx5 looks well nice, luv the wheels :clap: :clap:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

I used to have an MX5, great car - engine in the 1.6 mk1 is the very same unit used in the 323 GTX turbo (sans the turbo obviously), hence lends itself very well to being turbo'd. (B6ZE?)

Return to “Driving Experiences”