[Mk2] [Generic] CRN 40 grooved discs and Redstuff pads arrived and fitted...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Generic] CRN 40 grooved discs and Redstuff pads arrived and fitted...

Post by jimGTS »

thought there was a little more involved when changing discs and pads, but basically 4 bolts each side, lol...
ive changed my front pads before, but wernt sure bout the discs (and removing whole caliper)...

anyway, really impressed with the look and just bedding in now at the front, feels great!!!!!! (only had time to fit the fronts)

i went for the silver Zinc coated option to, so no more RUST!! like the old ones!

ps, thanks for the group buy organised over on the OC!! otherwise dont think i would have been tempted.....

(pps, anyone know how much 4 92+discs are worth, secondhand, bout 3years old)...

3 of the 4 bolts needed to remove caliper, 4th out of shot...
(the 3 are the ones lower and middle left)

quite a difference!
greeny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] CRN 40 grooved discs and Redstuff pads arrived and fitted...

Post by greeny »

I hope you cleaned the hub up with a wire brush before fitting the new disc's! :thumleft:
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] CRN 40 grooved discs and Redstuff pads arrived and fitted...

Post by jimGTS »

greeny wrote:I hope you cleaned the hub up with a wire brush before fitting the new disc's! :thumleft:

the hub shield you mean?
phipck

Post by phipck »

i think greeny means the wheel hub that the disk mounts to, else you might need to re tighten the disks in a short while because any rust or debree thats behind the disk when you mounted it will move. Might leave the disk a fraction loose?

equaly i could be wrong :) just a thought
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

jim you have put the grooves going the wrong way :mrgreen:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

are they the wrong way?
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

jimGTS wrote:are they the wrong way?
No, don't listen to the nasty man!!! [-X
:lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

lol, thats cool...
got worried for a second. :eye:
greeny

Post by greeny »

phipck wrote:i think greeny means the wheel hub that the disk mounts to, else you might need to re tighten the disks in a short while because any rust or debree thats behind the disk when you mounted it will move. Might leave the disk a fraction loose?

If you didnt clean any rust etc off the face of the hub then you'l likely have warped discs in a few hundred miles :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

gosh darn it! close but not the buscuit!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

greeny wrote:
phipck wrote:i think greeny means the wheel hub that the disk mounts to, else you might need to re tighten the disks in a short while because any rust or debree thats behind the disk when you mounted it will move. Might leave the disk a fraction loose?

If you didnt clean any rust etc off the face of the hub then you'l likely have warped discs in a few hundred miles :thumleft:

well my old discs were only 3years old, and pads about 2years old, complete even pad wear...and recent 4 wheel laser alinement...
they felt fine when going on, and surely with the pressure you putting on the disc against the hub when you do the nuts up will crush any of that rust away?? tho i cant honestly remember the contact patch, they went on fine....and car felt fine to me.
:-k
greeny

Post by greeny »

jimGTS wrote:
greeny wrote:

well my old discs were only 3years old, and pads about 2years old, complete even pad wear...and recent 4 wheel laser alinement...
they felt fine when going on, and surely with the pressure you putting on the disc against the hub when you do the nuts up will crush any of that rust away?? tho i cant honestly remember the contact patch, they went on fine....and car felt fine to me.
:-k

The car will feel fine....... until your disks warp :lol:

Just sharing my own personal experience/info........ :eye:
hermit

Post by hermit »

Had a pair of Tarox (Red Dot) a few years back (£350ish for fronts only). The destructions did say the groves should be pointing forward not backwards.

hermit
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

hermit wrote:

Had a pair of Tarox (Red Dot) a few years back (£350ish for fronts only). The destructions did say the groves should be pointing forward not backwards.

hermit

but after a bit of research, ive seen that everyone has them this way around (way i have them)....
seems its an individual thing really, unless you go brembo, or something....
phipck

Post by phipck »

i was under the impression they were designed to be the other way round so that as the wheel is turning and the pad touches the disc, any dirt or water will be forced into the grove and thrown outward. as they are it would encourage the dirt to travel toward the centre of the spinning wheel.

having said that you would be traveling forward and air would be blowing across them so i would suggest you would have better performance with them the other way round but it wont kill you having them this way.

just because everyone else does it, doesnt mean its right!
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

no, they are designed to wear down the surface of the brake pads faster, when braking heavy, and you start getting brake fade the heat heats up the chemical in the pads and this makes its way out of the brake pad and to the disc, the groved bit wears them down a little faster to eliminate that chemical setting

thats not the most technical answer but its early in the morning and i have a banging head ache,

you get the idea, someone will come round to give you the propper answer

it dont matter what way round they go,

Looks good jim ;)
hermit

Post by hermit »

jdbecks wrote:no, they are designed to wear down the surface of the brake pads faster, when braking heavy, and you start getting brake fade the heat heats up the chemical in the pads and this makes its way out of the brake pad and to the disc, the groved bit wears them down a little faster to eliminate that chemical setting

Yes. How about it helps prevent the pads from glazing.

hermit
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

hermit wrote:
jdbecks wrote:no, they are designed to wear down the surface of the brake pads faster, when braking heavy, and you start getting brake fade the heat heats up the chemical in the pads and this makes its way out of the brake pad and to the disc, the groved bit wears them down a little faster to eliminate that chemical setting

Yes. How about it helps prevent the pads from glazing.

hermit

yep..thats the better way to write what i said

i did have a banging head ache and just woken up :)
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Look fantastic mate - good effort.

How much did you pay for the whole lot?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

235 inluding del...
group buy, so got 30 ish off i think....

anyway, how much are my old discs and pads worth......still a good 10-20k miles on the pads, rears less than year old...discs 3 years old...?

unless its really going to effect things, is it really werth me swapping the direction of my new discs???

did the rears today, what a b*tch!!! lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”