[Mk2] [Turbo] help me out here. should i buy a diffrent car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

redmr89

[Mk2] [Turbo] help me out here. should i buy a diffrent car?

Post by redmr89 »

come on guys im lookin for some backup. ive had my mr2 for nearly 4 years and its been the most unreliable car ive ever had. ive put in 3 engines. changed the cambelt ( not an easy job) changed the turbo 3 times and had alsorts of other thing ranging from front steering rack to exhaust. its cost me a fortune and its now getting picked up by a recovery truck tomorow because it wont change gear. i love my car ,im my opinion its one of the best lookin cars on the road. but im sick of the costs. ive been lookin at skylines, supras and elises.

should i stick with it or ditch it. these mid engined cars are such a b1tch to work on and they cost a fortune.

rant over ( and yes i do realise the elise is mid engined also)
Lou-Lou

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] help me out here. should i buy a diffrent car?

Post by Lou-Lou »

From what I've heard I don't think you'll have much more luck with an Elise!!

Sounds like you've just had a lot of bad luck with yours, MR2's are so reliable when looked after.

Mine was crap when I first got it, the usual overheating problems etc and in desparate need of a bit of TLC, but once it had been all stripped back and checked out and bits replaced (including the engine) it was sweet as anything.

The best way is stick up a for sale thread, gauge some interest.. cause once you get offers from potential buyers losing it will start to seem more real, and you can guage whether or not you'd be prepared to let it go!

Just a question tho.. do you not have a garage that can give the car a proper check over? When my garage did mine, they had a check of everything. I spend 2.5k but they put everything right, checked the entire car out to make sure everything was sound, and I never had any probs at all since that was done.
C50

Post by C50 »

you can't go wrong with a honda
Stretchermunkey

Don't give up

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Don't give up mate, I've had endless probs for the past year or so since I sold my N/a and bought my turbo, had to strip that, buy a new one and then throw loads of money at the new one. But in ten mins I'm driving from liverpool to newcastle via Alston, you probably know the road I mean from penrith to hexham, and I know it will make it all worth it. Hang in there mate.
Steve
steve b

Post by steve b »

You probably just have a rotten rad thats got really in-efficient at cooling and that in turn has cooked all your engiens and caused all the problems, £120 at the beginning and it'd all probably been fine. #-o
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
salamanzer

Post by salamanzer »

Yep i love my DC5.... shame its for sale :(

Honda reliability is second to none!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”